best linux...

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
akadeadman
forum buddy
forum buddy

best linux...

Post by akadeadman »

im looking at getting in to Linux, but as i have no experience with Linux i am wondering what basic distro would you suggest i start with so I can get a basic understanding of Linux. I will eventually build my own but i want to start with a pre built distro one first

Still_Learning
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by Still_Learning »

Ubuntu

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

Linux is like woman, they come in different varieties. For example, Circuitbomb likes them short, fat and hairy - whereas I enjoy the more scrumptious blonde, skinny and busty babe.

What I am getting at is there is no "Best Linux" - some people prefer one, over another. Its all a matter of preference. If you are feeling particularly frisky, I suggest one of the more hands on distrobutions which will make you work and understand more about the operating system - try Slackware or Gentoo.

Good luck matey.

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

For a beginner I suggest Mandriva, Sabayon, Ubuntu (although I do not like it), Suse,...Right now I am on suse. I have been using it for a while now. It serves me right. I have tried several distros and this one is perfect for me!

P.S. You can also use this site to help you out:
http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

caisher
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by caisher »

lol it's a nice one
The barrier to change is not too little caring; it is too much complexity.
改变世界的阻碍,并非人类的冷漠,而是这个世界太复杂

akadeadman
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by akadeadman »

i have been pointed towards SUSE before by one of my friends who was trying Linux. now this may sound like a stuped question but should i use gnome or kde?
Last edited by akadeadman on 20 Jun 2008, 05:51, edited 1 time in total.

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

try them out

Post by computathug »

As big-E said, its all down to yourself at the end of it. Try experimenting yourself with different flavours. Everybody here as different tastes and so will every other forum that you ask the same question on.

If anything it isn't bad practice to getting used to formatting, partitioning etc and everything new is always more knowledge gained.

enjoy it :wink:

And welcome to the forums, why not go to the General Discussions area and introduce yourself. You can find it at http://www.suck-oold.com/modules.php?na ... topic&t=26

Enjoy your stay 8)

visser

Post by visser »

Suse and ubuntu just recently came out with some updates.

From what i understand the updates were kinda a big deal.
IMHO use one of those two.

(i use ubuntu, its sexy. very sexy. like a tall busty blonde. without the busty-ness.)

uid0

Post by uid0 »

Personally, I won't recommend Sabayon as a beginer's distribution, Sabayon is based on gentoo but the most important thing is that it's based on the experimental branch (for putting a name on it) of gentoo, meaning that the use of masked packages can get a beginer frustrated by errors during updates, installations, and the maintain of customs package.use package.mask and such. In that case will be easier to recommend gentoo :P

Ubuntu, Mandriva, SuSE are good options, I would add to that list maybe PCLinux OS

Also, you could not jump right away on "installing" any distribution, you could use a livecd or try linux over a virtual machine, that will give you a preview of what can you expect of linux.

Regards

akadeadman
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by akadeadman »

i have already tried to use a couple of linux live cds and a virtual machine and have had no avail if anyone could possibly help i use virtual box

Shimo

Post by Shimo »

I would go for the new opensuse... Its really easy to use.. Then move on to a little more complicated things so you can get a better understanding of how linux works... Your not going to really learn anything big on suse but you should pick some stuff up with it..
[img]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q49/xblric9000000/ShimoSignature.jpg[/img]

skip

Post by skip »

i tried ubuntu for a couple of months and back to windows.. im planning to get on ubuntu again, i got their cd for free.. if you want to get one heres the link

Code: Select all

https://shipit.ubuntu.com/
Image Image Image

akadeadman
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by akadeadman »

i have looked at ubunto and it looks like nothing special (no offense for all who use it) as for suse the new one looks like a linux version of vista and as for mandriva (this makes me feel stupid) i haven't been able to get a live cd that can install onto the hard drive from the cd or a install cd not dvd as i cannot burn them

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

You could also try debian, im not sure who it was but around a year ago there was a link posted for windows users to download straight from the net. If i am correct b_b posted the link so he might be able to enlighten you with this. It was somewhere along the lines of www.goodbyemicrosoft.whatever but i cant remember. That was my first ever experience on linux and now just use the disc. I have looked at other versions of linux but found this to be the one for me.

You could also download and install from usb instead of cd if your system supports it :wink:

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »