Laptop charger cable

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
visser
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Laptop charger cable

Post by visser »

So for those of you that dont know my laptop is literally my life. and ive been running it off the charger for a bit now from a wall socket at a friends house.

Im currently freaking out cuz the chrager is hot as fuck and wont charge my shit. it just shut off.... is it broken or waiting for a cool down...

help me please!

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

I wouldnt run a laptop for more then 12 hours in a row, check to see if the fan is still working on it, if you want to keep the PC on 24/7 get a desktop.
does the chargers light come on? how long does it take to overheat? do you have a diffrent charger that you can try on the laptop to see if it does the same thing? does the bottom of your laptop also feel overheated? is it a brand new laptop or old, and do you still have warranty on it?

tons of elements on this

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Laptop charger cable

Post by computathug »

visser wrote:So for those of you that dont know my laptop is literally my life. and ive been running it off the charger for a bit now from a wall socket at a friends house.

Im currently freaking out cuz the chrager is hot as fuck and wont charge my shit. it just shut off.... is it broken or waiting for a cool down...

help me please!
nothing needs to be charged to make the laptop run. You can take the battery out input power lead and you should still have power. So its not the problem there. What is happening when you try to start the laptop. the connection may have come loose.

It is not recommended to run the computer direct from power source continuously with out using the battery from time to time so its worth running without the battery sometimes.

Post more of an account on what is happening :wink:

visser

Post by visser »

nope. she just got to hot :P
let it cool down for about 30 minutes (luckily my battery lasted that long) and plugged her back in for charging.

so if your shit gets hot, let it cool down :P

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

visser wrote:nope. she just got to hot :P
let it cool down for about 30 minutes (luckily my battery lasted that long) and plugged her back in for charging.

so if your shit gets hot, let it cool down :P
and dont run a laptop for too long, also helps to set it on top of something so the bottom of it can vent hot air out, like my other laptop sits on the table but has a BBQ grill thing under it so it sits off the table a couple inches and the fan and bottom of the computer can breath to prevent overheating

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

find the operating temp

Post by DNR »

First off, you need to determine HOW hot it is. I use EVEREST by lavasys, it can list everything about your computer and your sensors.

On my Compaq, it seems to run fine at 129 degrees for cpu. (thats Fahrenheit) . Now I notice that my charger cord (we are talking about the black converter box that is on it) gets hotter when it has to charge the cellphone plugged in to the USB port. I imagine that the converter box is not really meant to charge more than the laptop itself, let alone another appliance plugged into it.

Also, power converters can go bad, how old its it? A power surge can fux one up, so if its not old, it could be damaged from a power surge like a close lightening strike.

So first, you need to get an actual temperature and see if it falls under the acceptable ranges by the maker.

Next, like others said, make sure that when you are using it - the vent underneath is not blocked - I try to use a board under it to keep the vent clear, rather than say a pillow. I don't know why they call it a laptop - cuz it will fry your balls off if you keep it in your lap!

As far as limits on how long you leave your laptop on, or connected to a power source I disagree - I have had my lappie on steadily for days, and the temp always stays within 2 degrees of the 129 degree op temp.

DNR

one last note, the cord itself should not get hot. If everything checks out, examine the cord to make sure it hasn't suffered a internal break from being bent too severe or caught in a recliner chair!
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

I predict that if the charger is hot as "Fuck" as you put it, then it must be a short causing this.

- A test you could run would be to take out the battery and turn on the laptop. If it runs cooler then the battery may be causing the short.

- Another test is to make sure your using the correct power supply, perhaps you mistakenly employed a lesser watt PS (friends or some others). Read the power rating numbers off to me that are on the PS and ill let you know.

- If you have not done so already check to see that the battery is indeed seated correctly and while you are there a full exam of the PS cables could discover a nic, tear, or somethng creating a short.

For those that don't know a short is basically connecting the input to the output without any resistance or at most a very low resistance. This effect will create a lot of heat and or destroy a device depending on the type of short.
DNR wrote: As far as limits on how long you leave your laptop on, or connected to a power source I disagree - I have had my lappie on steadily for days, and the temp always stays within 2 degrees of the 129 degree op temp.
This is correct. Actually there is a lot of study about the damage cased to turning on and off electronic devices. I am a firm believer of never turning off a computer if you can. Kind of reminds me of an electronic alarm clock, i have never seen one go bad?!!? Its because the thing is never turned off.
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

yeah, I also think the battery is simply dead, how old is the laptop? usually you can say rechargeable batteries die after about 2000 recharge cycles..some earlier some later... :wink:

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

a whole month to fix the damn thing

Post by DNR »

Well a whole month went by, do you think we'll ever know what happened? Dead battery? Bad charger/wrong charger?

Bah! there is no reward in this dirty work..

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

leechy9
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by leechy9 »

lol mine lappy sucks
Last edited by leechy9 on 29 Jul 2008, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.
rm -rf * /

leechy9
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by leechy9 »

computathug wrote:
visser wrote:So for those of you that dont know my laptop is literally my life. and ive been running it off the charger for a bit now from a wall socket at a friends house.

help me please!
nothing needs to be charged to make the laptop run. You can take the battery out input power lead and you should still have power.

Post more of an account on what is happening :wink:
thats not always true mine doesnt run unless the battery is in to make the connection. but to answer your question, yes it probably over heated and it prob shut itself off because it was getting too hot. (the bricks have sensors to make sure they dont start fires in your house) just unplug it and leave it there for a good 20 minutes.
rm -rf * /

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

leechy9 wrote:lol mine lappy sucks
Pleas try to make a real comment, or contribute something. Try holding back the desire to rapid post and think before you type.

Thanks,

your friendly administrator
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ