Is google searching retardet?

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
uid0
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by uid0 »

I can be more agree with both (DNR & computathug).

I have though about the easy way to do things many times, I do that sometimes (yes! i said it! :P) I just go and search something because I'm in a hurry or I don't have intentions to waste time thinking (I know, isn't good...sometimes, not when a client is peaking you in the head though ^^)

About foundations I do agree also, that was one of the things I said in my first post in this discussion, at some point is needed that information pass from one to another, doesn't matter the medium as long as the information keep it self alive. Without those foundations you won't be able to do or learn anything is like trying to create a web browser when you don't know that protocols exists, you'll always need an starting point

Finally, as I've said earlier, I don't think neither that google or wikipedia or online guides or tldp are bad things when you need to know something, we can't deny that those mediums had extended the life of information and in some ways the improvement of existent information.

In anycase, if someone is avoiding to think a little to do something and instead is going to copy some solution, isn't medium's fault, it's user's fault because sometimes we have basic foundations that could help us to do something, for instance, lest say you have just configured an http server, you started it, and tested to see an ugly 500 code, the changes are that you know that the http server have loggin facilities where you can check what is going on, if after checking the logs you just see weird errors that, because of lack of knowledge, you don't understand, there's nothing wrong in look the answer somewhere else, but when you didn't check the log, even when you know that exists, that's lazyness ^^

So, no problem at all with passing the information around, web searches, e-books and such, using them as the first place to look at when the information might be already on your head is something else and is where you can say a problem resides

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

honor thy data

Post by DNR »

Hey UID, you also have the right track. :wink:

It is the user's responsibility. The reason I posted several other threads, "what makes you wise", "what makes a hacker", etc was because I was trying to educate members of suck-o about developing Wisdom.
Wisdom to me, is the user's enlightenment of how to handle Knowledge.
Knowledge is only a part of Wisdom. This is intellectual knowledge that I am referring to. Lets be honest, there is no way anyone can know technical data about everything in the world. The world of computer science, coding, apps, and cracks is too large, and always changing.

Any goofball can parrot comments found in a technical manual, from a tech forum, or someone else's work. But it was the true wise person that learned from what they read, what they saw, and at best, what they put their own hands on.

The internet does have one big problem. I worry that a lot of the information is packaged for low-bandwidth - unlike the old paperbooks of my age, the huge, heavy hardcover books its pages filled with words unlimited, and if you were lucky, lots of color pictures. The websites I visit always seem lacking compared to the books. The nfo on websites seem too brief (the wiki project might fix this), images are few (bandwidth!), and then even good sites go down.

I steal books. I carefully stockpile them. It is not the paper or the hardcover binding, but the data that someone took time to print into the book that has value to me. You can honor the authors by being careful with the data.

DNR

(awesome thread peeps 8)
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

uid0

Post by uid0 »

To me there are actually two problems, one, indeed, is the amount of information you find in many sites, they lack many bases, many write things assuming that the reader has previous knowledge, but if that's not the case, they don't even point the readers to resources where they can find those bases. They create some little whitepapper saying that's little becuase if better for users (since they won't get bored reading) but there's a big problem in that and is that the gaps in the information could lead users to make mistakes while trying to apply the things they've "learned"

The other problem is related to the previous, is something that was said earlier in this post and is that most users don't check the accuracy of information they read, they stick with some site that says "This is good because of this..., this is bad because of this..." The problem here is that there's a big chance that the person who wrote for the site only got a piece of information about a subject and, because the gaps, the information that he's now passing around is not accurated. In turns, all is a chain, I read a few things about this and passed it around, someone read what I wrote and passed it around, when you check, the content is just wrong

Indeed, the current generation of users are getting lazy more and more and is a thing to worry about because if you think on it, today's generation will be the one in charge to educate the next generation....God help us ^^

isapiens

Post by isapiens »

i didnt feel like reading all the post so sorry if i am off the topic.

"There is no point in reinventing the wheel every time"

If someone already did it then take if from them, learn it, and improve upon it if you want to.
Thats what i try to do
Fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face.