Ubuntu 8.04 is being a dick

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
isapiens
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Ubuntu 8.04 is being a dick

Post by isapiens »

I was gona dual boot it today with my XP.

Ubuntu usually installs smoothly, but this time it just keeps saying "cant create /boot partition". Any ideas why??

The only thing that i did differently this time is that this new version had an option where it offered to resize XP for you. I usually used partition manager to do that, but i let ubuntu do it for me. That might have fucked up something...

Anu suggestions were to start? I do the usual manual install with three partitions: / /boot and swap.

I used GAG to get my windows working again (cuz obvoulsy GRUB fucked up everything), but whatever, no worries.
Fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Hmm, maybe not enough space? maybe it tries to use the largest free space or something =/
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

uid0

Post by uid0 »

Many times, depending on the actual "behind the scenes" process implemented to resize partitions, the partition table gets damage at some extend, the problem is that any process intended to play with partitions (resize, delete, create) reads the data from this table so the most minimun damage (something that might let see you the partitions as if everything is good when is not) can create weird errors.

Use a partition manager to recheck the partitions, most of them has functions that lets you check sanity, use them and avoid the use of automatic partitioning specially if you have systems that manage partition information differently (Windows and Linux doesn't read the partition table in the same way, neither their partitioning tools)

leechy9
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by leechy9 »

i always partition with gparted first. i never use the confusing one on the installer. try to install it that way by just making those 3 partitions u want, but keep them blank. (let the installer format them)
rm -rf * /

isapiens

Post by isapiens »

ye i think there was just a problem with partitioning, nothing else. I think it is just a good idea to use a different program to resize an hd or even create the linux partitions.

Anyway. As usual, because i am a lazy son of bitch, i just reinstalled everything.

Now i got a new setup. WinLite + Ubuntu. Looks fun. I have never used WinLite before. Looks pretty interesting.

Cheers.
Fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face.