Personal Network Setup

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
visser
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Personal Network Setup

Post by visser »

Hey all. I know that a few of you have been helping me greatly and i really apreciate it. ive got tid-bits of info here and there and know the general info. now im just trying to put all of the pieces of the puzzle together.

simple put what i want to have set up is my own little shindig on my network that slightly works like the actual internet. dont know if thats a good way to word it or not.... buuttttt
here is a lil flow chart of what ive got going. ill explain more below.

i know how to set the router to query my dns server rather than my ISPs dns server. so what i wanted to do was set my linux computer to be the dns server. i wanted the windows server to host any website i may put up on my computer. i want it set so whenever somone on my network types in visser.com it goes to my personal computer becuase my dns server says that it is my windows computer. now im pretty sure i know how to do this but my main problem is that in the dns zone files i have to state the nameserver for my windows server but im not fully sure how to get this all set up.

im not fully sure if ive got everything im needing or if im still missing some basic info. i thought that my dns server acted as a nameserver? like i said i think im missing some basic info. any help would be awesome!

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

host file, not DNS

Post by DNR »

your own internet = LAN, Local Area Network :wink: Some people have a PAN, a Personal Area Network, for one person using one or two computers (usually a desktop and a laptop), a printer, cable/DSL router, viop, TV, etc.

I think your question is :
i want it set so whenever somone on my network types in visser.com it goes to my personal computer becuase my dns server says that it is my windows computer. now im pretty sure i know how to do this but my main problem is that in the dns zone files i have to state the nameserver for my windows server but im not fully sure how to get this all set up.
why not just use the HOST file since it involves only a few, known computers (your family's computers and your LAN).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Host_file

:wink:
DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.