My 5 minute Noob website starter tut

All about creating websites!
floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

My 5 minute Noob website starter tut

Post by floodhound2 »

This is a brief tut on getting up that web page. I assume you know nothing about web design so it may seem a bit lame to the more advanced. First thing is to make the web page. Here is a starter page – open it in notepad unless you have a web page editor. It is meant for you to learn off of so keep in mind that it is a basic page with a few tweaks to get you to see the patterns. To see it in a web browser - copy and paste it into note pad and save it as a htlm file. Make sure to click the down arrow and save as all file types.

http://code.suck-oold.com/48

Definitions of terms:

Domain name – It is the name that you call the site. Like www.suck-o.com. This is the name you’ll have to purchase for a relatively low price. Going rates range from $10.00 a year and less. I must state that if you have a Domain name you still have no website, you just own that name. This could be nice if you can resell it to someone. For example: Coke is a huge company and may pay thousands of dollars to you if you owned the domain name www.cokeacola.com. This is called being a domain broker.

Hosting – It is a company that has a computer that stores your website. You can purchase a Hosting plan and they all range on features that you can shop for. Some features include: Bandwidth and storage size and other features that are out of the scope of this tut so I won’t mention them. Hosting plans range from $3.50 a month with a 36 month equaling $126 total, or as low as 40 a year. You need to shop around and get what’s best for your needs and budget. A site that generates a lot of visits may need more bandwidth and less storage. A site that features video and big files will need more storage. You get the idea.

FTP – This is used to upload your site to the hosting computer. I use windows and thus it is a simple process. Open my documents and type in the address bar ftp.your-site.com without the “’s. You’ll be prompted to put in the user name and password. If completed correctly you’ll have access to a file system that looks like all others. Just click and drag the web page.

So in all you need a Domain name, a hosting computer, and a web page. Ask B_B for details I think he offers hosting plans and domain names.

Well question and comments need to be left below Good luck
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

not another myspace page

Post by DNR »

Stop.
Before you even do any of this, first ask yourself - what is the website going to be about?

Do we need another glorified myspace hack? You think a forum runs itself? Do you think you got files or skills that someone else will be interested in? Do have a plan on maintaining this website to keep it fresh?

Anyone can buy a domain and upload static pages. It doesn't mean everyone should.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

rhysh
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by rhysh »

dnr,dont go so harsh on floodhound,wilst i knew all the stuff he said already,i still read it and also i would like to say good one floodhound...he did a good tutorial that everyone could understand>even lamers could ^^

anyways nice one floodhound

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

I don't think it was meant in a offensive way from DNR, rhysh... :wink:

you're right DNR, but also not everybody starts a site as a serious project, many see it as a good way to learn, I did it that way too. at the start most people run into basic problems like "how to I get my files on the server?", etc....and at this point people are usually into HTML only, so the danger of opening flaws endangering the whole server is not really big.

well done floody! :)

rhysh

Post by rhysh »

bad_brain wrote:I don't think it was meant in a offensive way from DNR, rhysh... :wink:

you're right DNR, but also not everybody starts a site as a serious project, many see it as a good way to learn, I did it that way too. at the start most people run into basic problems like "how to I get my files on the server?", etc....and at this point people are usually into HTML only, so the danger of opening flaws endangering the whole server is not really big.

well done floody! :)
maybe,but i await dnr's reply,because to me,dnr went pretty harsh on him i think.

uid0

Post by uid0 »

well, I don't think that dnr's response is bad, nor harsh, the questions he presented (and many others that can be added) are indeed needed, many people tend to forget that web development isn't just put some markup code in a page over a hosting service, it is a process and like any other needs to be planed, you need to consider not just the things you have now but the things you'll have in a certain future.

You need to define a topic (what the website is about) because is the base where all your development will start to grow.

There's also truth in what bad_brain said, many start as a way to learn, my site started like that but if you create a guide that is addressing things like domains, hosting service and such, then isn't something just for learning, you're talking to put the content online in which case you need to plan what are you going to do before you do it, you need to think in what your site may or may not offer since being online means it will recieve users that will be expecting something in return from your site.

When you put the content online, then is not just your experience with development what is important, is also the visitors experiences and how your site is going to fill them.

I think (and of course is my personal optinion) dnr's response brings that portion of 'reality' which is needed if we're are going to talk about designing 'for the internet'.

If the guide it's only for learning porpuses, then you don't need, yet, to address domains, hostings, ftp, ssh access or cpanel administration (just an example), html pages just need a browser in the OS and you can learn just using a text editor to create and the browser to review the result, and if it is to learn server side language, you don't need hostings and domain neither, only to install the sever side software in your system and use a local server

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Nah, DNR can give me shit any day I don't mind.

I just did the tut cause I got a lot of PMs asking me how to upload a site and what it means to purchase a name. Its intent is innocent merely as a guide to learn basic web design and web uploading.
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

best pals can say anything

Post by DNR »

:D Good timing floodie, I get to reply right after you.

yea, I am greatly misunderstood here. Then again, the internet is a dark and murky place - how could anyone know that floodie and I consider each other good pals - peers on equal standing. We both respect each others opinions and knowledge - I would expect no less blunt treatment from him. :wink:

uid0 has the point, I was just adding a dose of reality. Just look over some old and recent threads by new members wanting to start a website or forum, thinking that money was going to roll in and their forums hoppin'. Its work, a four-letter word - and you have to understand its reward is more complicated. I want everyone to know - B_B pays for operating cost, domain fees, taxes and even legal fees out of his own pocket, and suck-o returns him nothing (in that sense).

If people have a problem with a POV, take it out of the thread and send a f'ing PM or meet me in IRC, most of the time it will be just a misunderstanding. stop killing threads by going off topic!

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Holytoaster4

Post by Holytoaster4 »

good tutorial, but if i knew nothing of website design i might actually save it as an htlm file like the tutorial said i should. most of these static websites can be simulated locally on your computer
Holytoaster has become satanictoaster!

skip

Post by skip »

nice tut! ummmm you didnt mention about free hosting sites/domain for those who cant afford em or just want to learn.
Image Image Image

visser

Post by visser »

im barely getting past just starting at this point (however it doesnt help when i focus on every aspect of computers i can lol) so i can easily say that this TUT is very usefull however there is nothing like learning how to set up your own apache server and going to town!

ive tried to get a few buisness ideas going before. and most if not all times it is very wise to think about what the website your going to be building will be doing. as well as if you can do that.

take in every bit of knowledge you can. sort it out and learn from everything :P

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Yea both of you bring up great points. Good that you can add to this noob tutorial. Perhaps in the near future ill do up a part 2 noob web site tut.

Great comments :wink:

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

How about how to host your own website .. i allready can build websites and pay someone to host them. Safe practices and basic security rules to go by when setting them up.. intro to apache server config file programming.. intro on setting up a SMTP, HTTP, FTP, and Telnet servers plus more possibly?.. maybe Ubuntu LAMP server config info? I think that would be most useful..
:D

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, good idea...I'll work on a "apache config howto" as soon as I have some time... :-k
I don't know how much of Debian is still in Ubuntu, but this manual is a great read even for non-Debian users:
http://www.linuxsecurity.com/docs/harde ... ian-howto/