How I almost drowned.

...let us know what you think, free speech!
TheKingOfHearts

How I almost drowned.

Post by TheKingOfHearts »

Rip Currents:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rip_current
http://science.howstuffworks.com/rip-current.htm

very dangerous.

yesterday I went to the beach with a friend and the waves were big mostly closeouts around 4-7 ft waves. When the life guards left around high tide me and my friend went in the water. So we went in waist deep just to catch some waves, by the time i knew it the current was so strong it dragged me 100ft from my original position in seconds. My friend noticed the rip and she got away. I got caught pretty bad. So as i was drifting away I saw a wave coming and i caught it. the wave took me closer to shore to the point where i could touch the bottom if i sank. So at that point I was pretty tired and my friend called in a friend who was surfing. But i didnt feel like waiting for someone else to save me so adrenaline kicked in and i swam my arms off towards shore (which is the opposite of what your supposed to do in a rip, swim parallel) but as soon as my feet hit the sandbar I got macked by a big wave and didnt even expect it ending up slammed onto shove but happy to not drowned.

that was single handedly the scariest water experience in my life.
[url=http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/2034/oopsrg8.gif]/sig[/url]

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

damn, sounds horrible =/

Don't think that happens very much around here though, I have heard of it happening here once a few years ago, but not more.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

I was told to always swim parallel to the beach if caught in a rip current since the current only pulls you away from the beach. Then you won't be fighting against the overwhelming current.

TheKingOfHearts

the whole beach was a giant rip current. to me at that time it seemed like a good idea to fight the current since it was the same distance anywhere i tried to swim out of.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

a day at the beach sucked

Post by DNR »

sounds liked it sucked, glad you made it man :wink:

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

rhysh
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by rhysh »

well good to see ur still alive

lol i dont know what suck-o would be like without ya ;)

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

wow... 8O watch yourself man.... [-X
drowning is one of the most horrible ways to die, it is a primal fear and anchored in the brain, this explains the adrenaline rush. this primal fear is abused in the infamous water torture, I heard an expert for human rights saying it's almost impossible to resist it for longer than 30 seconds because it triggers the (from the evolutionary POV) oldest parts of the human brain.

isapiens

Post by isapiens »

one time during spring break i went to Florida and did the dumbest thing ever. Me and my friends smoked some herbs and went to catch some waves. It was the best experience of my life but it was also the most dangerous thing i have ever done.

I remember getting hit by the wave and being under water and the only thing i was thinking about was how i should not laugh under water. Pretty retarded, but it was great, especially because all of us survived.
Fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face.

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

bad_brain wrote:wow... 8O watch yourself man.... [-X
drowning is one of the most horrible ways to die, it is a primal fear and anchored in the brain, this explains the adrenaline rush. this primal fear is abused in the infamous water torture, I heard an expert for human rights saying it's almost impossible to resist it for longer than 30 seconds because it triggers the (from the evolutionary POV) oldest parts of the human brain.
actually drowning is like falling asleep according to research ;)
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

n3rd wrote: actually drowning is like falling asleep according to research ;)
um, I think there is a little difference between lying in a comfy bed thinking about a nice chick while relaxing and struggling for your life trying not to inhale because you know you'll die when you do.... :lol:

and the water torture they use is not about real drowning btw, it just triggers the primal fear of drowning in your brain....the person is strapped on a bench, the head is a little lower than the feet, they put a towel over his head and pour water over it. sounds not really heavy, but they say you are already labeled as REAL tough guy (by the "interrogation experts") when you can stand it for longer than 30 seconds without getting into total panic...it is labeled as most "effective" form of "interrogation" in the KUBARK guide of the CIA: http://www.gwu.edu/%7Ensarchiv/NSAEBB/N ... htm#kubark

TheKingOfHearts

well i probably wasnt going to die considering my friend had a board.
but it was really choppy so he might have not made it fast enough

smoking weed or drinking and then surfing is dangerous but you did have a leash and a board so i wouldnt been that worried, but consciencely i woudnt do that ever. last week because of the rip tides 3 surfers died.

my first surfing experience was in february in freezing cold waters and massive rips that took me really far in but my friend helped me rest and paddle back, and i also caught a wave on the way back.
when we were "stripping" infront of the car a bunch of chicks got to see me somewhat nakid and called me sexy which made me feel like such a champ at the time. thats just offtopic...but it helped me forget how cold and tired i was.

i dont understand why i keep going in. I should be shit scared of the ocean but i just have more respect for it than usual. its more like a challenge to me than fear of drowning. although id fucking hate to go that way.
the adrenaline was probably because of the fact that i was so pissed that i let another rip tide drag my ass off.

puto
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by puto »

Yeah getting high or drunk going for a swim isn't really that bright. I had my share of experience with the ocean Not such great ones for that matter.well anyway Glad you made it out alive.
Intelligence merely allows you to be more elaborately and ornately disastrously wrong.

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

err BB isnt that called waterboarding?

as for the drowning part, the mind thinks as its back in the womb and yes u do fall asleep nice and quietly :)
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

Swan
Knight of the Sword
Knight of the Sword

Post by Swan »

Actually n3rd and BB you are both right.

When you actually drown for real, your oxygen intake is then cut off, thereby starving your brain of oxygen. This causes hallucination and because the body is exposed to the cold water the body then goes totally numb thereby rendering any sensation to be cut off.

I personally would rather die like this:

:wink:

TheKingOfHearts

well the thing is that it was my b-day that day.
18 on the 18th July. full moon.

and basically i had called my grandparents back home

and i found out that my grandpa is terminally ill and they promised me that

they live until i come back at least one time. which was really heavy on me.

because hes like a father to me, ive modeled myself after the guy

and its like in the back of my head that day i had a feeling ill be put to the test...

i dont believe in fate or w/e but it was such a feeling that i cant describe

idk...it was such a wierd day...

got to party it at night though so its all good. a friend threw me a pool party...ironically lol...and we played the dunking game. lol.