Torrent Protection

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
visser
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Torrent Protection

Post by visser »

hey all, ive recently been using some torrents. my ISP (comcast) is crackin down on torrents from what i hear. they dont like the bandwith that it uses. so i was kind of curious how i could keep my identity hidden when using torrents. im already using peer guardian but i wanted to know what i could do to stay anonymous and unseen. any tips would be great!

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

isohunt also has HTTPS set up so typing https://www.isohunt.com will help incase the torrent site ever gets raided, they wont see how much youve downloaded or what, ive heard of useing proxys with torrent programs , i havent tried peerguardian, but if your ISP ever does ask you why your house is useing so much bandwidth tell them you have a website that you run, or you like to watch alot of on demand movies channels, if that dont work tell them you have no idea why, maybe your computer has a virus and someone is remotely doing something to use alot of bandwidth :D

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, Peer Guardian is a good protection from sniffing authorities and legal departments...but to hide your traffic from your ISP is not possible. the only option to make your connections look unsuspicious is trying to use another port...check if port 21 is possible, would look like an ftp connection to your ISP then...but it might not work because it's an assigned port, but using any port different from the default one is always a good idea.... :wink:

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

I've heard of something called WASTE. I'll be looking into it and see what it's all about. If you want to take a look at it you can find it at http://waste.sourceforge.net/

About what bad_brain said you could route it through Tor, but that would be tough on the Tor system. It's not designed for heavy through put like downloading large files. That's mostly for anonymous web surfing.

visser

Post by visser »

awesome thanks all! if anyone has any tips please let us all know!

TheKingOfHearts

Post by TheKingOfHearts »

nice, i was just about to ask the same question.

im on Comcast and they do send me letters when i download stuff
it bothers me.

its usually for really popular torrents with many seeds

not for anime though just apps, movies and games.
[url=http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/2034/oopsrg8.gif]/sig[/url]

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

They also got slammed by the FCC for doing exactly what they're doing to P2P networks. P2P isn't just torrents (legal or illegal), it also encompasses Skype, streaming media, and torrent-like applications to disseminate a project to people who live around the world.

About default port: At least with uTorrent I'm not aware that there was an assigned default port I always had mine on Randomize, but recently have assigned a static port.

Anyway, If I find the article (there's been a bunch lately) about Comcast and the FCC fighting lately I'll post links.

Edit: I'm also using comcast. I haven't downloaded too much nor been torrenting a whole lot, but I'm wary myself.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, there IS an option to keep you ISP away from being able to sniff torrent traffic: SSH tunneling. ok, the ISP can still see there is some traffic going on, but because it's encrypted they have no chance to find out what data is transfered.
http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-over-ssh-071014/

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

its the bandwidth

Post by DNR »

After all that work to hide the traffic you are still fucked.

Remember the key statement in the original post:
they dont like the bandwith that it uses
Encrypted and compressed, movies, music, and graphics are still large programs. The obvious signals to an ISP to look at you are the file transfer connections, and long connection times. The ISP is concerned about bandwidth because they would like to promise a certain QoS, and then oversell the network capacity. They expect that users will only spend a little time to check email or surf websites - not spend all day dl'ing massive files. They try to fit 1000 users on a network meant for 700 - they hope that the other 300 users are not online. Thats how you get profit from hosting an ISP.

As dl'ing becomes more popular the ISP are cracking down, warning letters and even canceling your account, its in the fine print.

Wardriving is not really feastible, you could find a hotspot to dl' your movies, but you'll trip a warning flag to the owner of the hotspot.

My idea for covert dl of large files is to create an app or router to use multiple ISPs to download only a small section of the large file each. 8)

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

visser

Post by visser »

one thing that i did was to set up forced encryption when using utorrent. so tahts always good. ive found that downloading some stuff that hardly anybody really notices is pretty much fine. but theres really no way to hide the amount of bandwtih. i might just crack some of my local wireless connections and use that. a lot of my neighbors arnt using their bandwith very much anyways 8)