What version of Linux should i use

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
Holytoaster4
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

What version of Linux should i use

Post by Holytoaster4 »

for all these old computers that i have sitting around. I want to do something with them so why not put linux on them and give them to friends who don't have computers. I really don't know that much about linux if you asked me gnome or kde i would say gnome because it is a cooler word. I'm looking for something that would run on all of these computers and be fairly user friendly.

Ibm Pentium III 350 megahertz, 64mb RAM 1gb hard drive
HP Pentium III 350 megahertz, 512mb RAM 6.5gb hard drive
Gateway Pentium II 220 megahertz (approximatly)64mb RAM 10gv hard

I'm not worried about hard drive space i can always figure other things out for that. I can't really add RAM or put in a new processor for any of them though. What version of linux do you think i should use :?:
Holytoaster has become satanictoaster!

Uner

Post by Uner »

I'd be embarrassed to give someone such PCs. Unfortunately, they ain't worth anything, really. Your friends better get a new pc (2nd hand off ebay) for 100$+, it will beat your pcs anyday.

F4LSE

Post by F4LSE »

I have a bunch of old comps layin around as well.
VectorLinux and Peanut are ideal for old comps. give it a look see :P

http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Cho ... stribution

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

Theres nothing wrong with that sometimes the person just needs to get on the internet and email and that is the extent of their usage. One of those PC's will do that well. Even the worst one you could prob run damn small linux on, but of course you would probuly have to set up the system for your friend and show them how to use it a little

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, for the one with 64 mb RAM I would recommend either text-mode only or a very lighweight desktop environment like Fluxbox for example.
I recommend Damn Small Linux or Puppy Linux, both are live distros but can also be installed on HDD.

for the 512 mb RAM system you can already run the usual desktop environments, but I would go for Gnome because it is a little more resource friendly compared to KDE.
my home server is a Pentium 2 with 386 mb RAM, of course the desktop breaks no speed records but it works well.

:wink:

Holytoaster4

Post by Holytoaster4 »

okay i'll try those thanks guys
Holytoaster has become satanictoaster!