Music database

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
visser
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Music database

Post by visser »

ok this is very random. and i didnt know where else to put this on the forums. so ill just get right to it.

all of my music i put within a file on my webserver. ive got php and mysql running on this server (its a windows xp proffesssional OS computer) i want some way to have a database set up of all the files that are within this music folder. so lets say within this music folder i have two artists (each artist has its own folder) and within each artist folder i have albums. and within each album i have the songs themselves. so what i want to do is have a database of all of my music and the folders that they are in within the music folder itself.

thats really hard to describe but, all i really need is a program that will create a database of all the music i have in that one folder and their locations in relation to that one folder.

any help would be great!

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

let me get ftp access :)

i have like 30 gigs of music to share

Uner

Post by Uner »

itzm3 wrote: i have like 30 gigs of music to share
Weak.

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

Uner wrote:
itzm3 wrote: i have like 30 gigs of music to share
Weak.
All good music, not just everything i can download. All classics or fresh stuff. (quality not quanity)

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, try "The Godfather", I use it to organize my mp3s too...it has loads of options:
http://users.forthnet.gr/the/jtclipper/
I haven't used this option, but afaik you can create an HTML output for all your files, so you wouldn't even need php/mysql.

another option would be mod mp3 for the Apache webserver:
http://search.cpan.org/~lds/Apache-MP3-3.05/MP3.pm

:wink:

visser

Post by visser »

wow awesome! all really good finds there BB thanks a bunch.

not to be picky and annoying but im now more focusing on trying ot find some way of making a index of the files from within this folder. im starting to add some pictures and movies and plan on sharing some of these files with friends. i found one program but it didnt seem to work to well. i wanted a mysql database of the locations in relation to the root folder and such...

im mainly just trying to figure out a good way to set it up so that when i add files i can put the locations into a database. itll be easy to set it up with uploads and the such but ive already got a large amount of files in there. with how many files i have it will be easy to use a database rather than just throwing files into a folder. im pretty much just making a large website for all of my music movies and photos. therefore allowing all my homies to browse my stuff lol

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

uh-oh...be cautious man, providing mp3s to download is a copyright violation, even when your friends can not download the tracks and just listen to them it's STILL a copyright violation...they can sue you for that like they did with me.

visser

Post by visser »

well darn. theyll still find you even if its like on the same internet node? i knew it was copyright and the such but didnt think it was very likely they would find me. if thats not the case ill just keep it in the same network. i really hope they wouldnt be3 watching what is going on within my own network. that would be totally creepy if they watch you that carefully!

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, of course the risk they find your mp3s is not really big, but IF they do you're fucked. if you do it in LAN with your buddies it's of course no problem....but when you offer it on the internet it's risky, a stupid accident like an indexed file at google can already break your neck (ok, your purse in this case).
to minimize the risk you should password protect access and limit the access to IPs you know too.

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

Give your friends VPN access and only allow people on the VPN access to your list - what is my suggestion. ;)