Cant Install Windows XP

Problems? Post here...
isapiens
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Cant Install Windows XP

Post by isapiens »

OK.. so i am really pissed.

If you guys remember i bought this new computer. HP Pavilion a6567c.

I am running Vista now but its horrible. Nothing works and i dont have time to figure out how to fix it.

So i go to install xp and it gives me this error "smth smth pci.sys error"
The disc is fine, plus i got some other xps... anyway i google the error and it has smth to do with my video card. I have xp with service pack 2 but that still doesnt work. It is a pretty old version i suppose.

One option i have is to take out my hard drive and install windows on someone elses computer... maybe then it will work.

Any suggestions?
Fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face.

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

I had a problem with downgrading from vista to xp also, i went to bios and turned off the native sata support and it worked, i am guessing since you have a newer pc that it is useing a sata hard drive

where does it give you the smth smth pci.sys error at? when xp is being booted to install / partition / format drives from the main screen or your not even able to get to that screen and you get that error at boot?

if it is at boot and you cant get it to format the drive and install xp try another xp disc, maybe ubuntu or something to see if it is a hardware or software problem. If another OS like ubuntu or another xp install disc does not work then it is prob a hardware problem

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Think there should be an option in the BIOS named "acpi" or something, don't remember. Try to find something along those lines ^^ if I didn't just wake up, I would restart the lappy and find the correct answer for you ^^.

Anyway, find that entry in the BIOS, and DISABLE it. Should work after that.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Its not the Video card!

You should be able to format the hard drive and install XP. Then installing the video driver would be a requirement.

Make sure you can boot from the Disk and then come ask more questions.
:wink:

Also make sure that the LAPTOP is not a 64 bit system and your trying to install a 32 bit O.S.

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

^^ Why not use a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit system? just curious because i think i have been installing alot of 32 bit xp versions on newer 64 bit systems :oops:

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

itzm3 wrote:^^ Why not use a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit system? just curious because i think i have been installing alot of 32 bit xp versions on newer 64 bit systems :oops:
Yes this is possible as long as the driver support is available. The problem with this is, sort of like you having a V8 engine, but running only 2 cylinders instead of all 8. Your not going to use all the processing power.

nightkid

Post by nightkid »

are you using a offical xp disc or a shady verison? my friend asked me to do the same for him on a hp laptop he recently purchased. i didnt use a offical xp disc and it worked like a charm, also try downloading a copy of disc kill a and completely wiping your hard drive and installing xp. im not so sure about the idea of taking your hard drive out and installing it on another computer as if theres a problem just trying to install the OS, there will more than likely be problems trying to boot it up from the HDD

MariaLara
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Re: Cant Install Windows XP

Post by MariaLara »

isapiens wrote:OK.. so i am really pissed.

If you guys remember i bought this new computer. HP Pavilion a6567c.

I am running Vista now but its horrible. Nothing works and i dont have time to figure out how to fix it.

Any suggestions?
Not the answer to your XP question but the last update conflicted between the HP and Vista. If you would have rolled back and disabled that update you would have been fine.
If for some reason you can't get your XP and you do not want to install a real OS you should go back to vista and just disable the updates until there is a patch from HP.
At least IMHO

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Make This Clear

Vista can not determine what O.S. will be installed on top of it!!! Vista is an operating system only, not some magical program that knows whats in the CD player on boot up.

Some of you need to learn about BIOS and Booting order, Hard disk, HD sectors, and Boot loaders..before you try to help someone

To install XP, LINUX, VISTA or JOE BLOW'S operating system simply place the disk in the Optical drive and reboot. Once you see the B.I.O.S screen go in and configure it to boot optical drive first, dont forget to save the settings. Then follow directions on the "mini operating system that is installed into RAM to format the hard drive."

Its this simple fellas nothing magical... \:D/

MariaLara
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by MariaLara »

No disrespect floodhound but I fail to understand your post in relation to this thread maybe I am misunderstanding your English.

When you said "Vista can not determine what O.S. will be installed on top of it!" that really lost me.

Literally speaking, you can't install an OS on top of another or run two OS simultaneously. Virtualization is a nifty solution but it isn't really running an operating system on top of another. Your reference to powering on the PC and putting a CD into an optical disk tray is of no relevance. Even my cat can do that, but installing an OS takes more than configuring BIOS to boot from CD or USB.
You can have more than two operating systems, but then they are on their own partitions and not on top of each other but you can't run two OS simultaneously.

It seems you aren't aware of operating system internals. I suggest you grab "Operating Systems: Internals and Design Principles" book by William Stallings. getting an insight into I/O Management, Process Management, Memory Management, Network Management, etc will greatly assist you in your further research if you ever decide to take that path

I have never heard of Joe Blow's and could not find that on distro watch. Please feel free to post the link to that.

I was only giving him a hint as to his vista/hp problem because I have a slightly better HP that runs vista and had many problems until I did what I suggested to him and mentioned if he went back to vista he should try that.

I will refrain from helping people in the future until I grasp BIOS and Booting order, Hard disk, HD sectors, and Boot loaders *rolls eyes*

As far as I am concerned your post was slightly insulting to everyone who was trying to help but I assure you I do not mean mine to be as such.
(well except for the eye rolling that was totally me being sarcastic)

Side note:
Did I stir it enough?

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

My post is not intended to offend anyone. My post is an effort to help someone install an operating system and it has become a repeated question that seems to never die. Thus my Boldness.

1. My mention that an operation system can not be installed on top of another is worded such, to bring clarification. It is not inteneded to take literary. For example: If i am running XP then wish to install Linux. I am force to delete XP (generally speaking with out partitions etc.) My wording was to express the idea that Linux was now installed on top of XP.

2. My post is not directed towards your post MariaLara, So if you are left in a defensive posture then so be it.

3. Now commenting on my Operating system position is not productive. I design operating systems and well installing them is a general walk in the park for me.

4. I can say that your comment about rolling back a driver is off base. A new installation using a new operation system wont care about an update that was used on the old operating system.

5. You can keep stirring, but it will become an off topic issue that will help only me and polish my position as an administrator of this site.

As a side note: When using Bold is this interpreted as Yelling or some type of insulting gesture?

MariaLara
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by MariaLara »

Okay

G-Brain

Post by G-Brain »

floodhound2 wrote:3. Now commenting on my Operating system position is not productive. I design operating systems and well installing them is a general walk in the park for me.
http://www.getacoder.com/projects/progr ... 87390.html
I <3 MariaLara more than all of you

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

lmao

20-100 Dollars for an operating system ! That will get him the first 100 lines of code.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

*rofl*
"all features XP has" and "hacker-safe"..... :lol:
hm, maybe I'll apply for the job, foreseeable development time: 50 years, cash in advance..:-k