how to open C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SAM ?

No explicit questions like "how do I hack xxx.com" please!
andrej013

how to open C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SAM ?

Post by andrej013 »

I jusut found out that there are stored all the login info from sites on windows XP.
so, problem is that u cant open it while windows is running, but, when you go on mozila tools and options then security
and check saved passwords, mozila somehow opens that file and lists you evrything.
so, is there some other software that can open this SAM file?
thx

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Well, one way that may be easier for you is to install a linux live cd. I personally use the ophcrack live cd, which you should be able to find on google, since it's a popular program.

You will have to download some rainbow tables if you want to crack the passwords.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect
Location: #db_error in: select usr.location from sucko_member where usr.id=63;

Re: how to open C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SAM ?

Post by Nerdz »

andrej013 wrote: but, when you go on mozila tools and options then security
and check saved passwords, mozila somehow opens that file and lists you evrything.
Wrong. Firefox simply show you the password that you wanted it to remember( You know the little dialog box to remember your password?). In fact, you can't access your SAM file directly while running on windows. If you are admin on the machine and want to crack all the password, like gogeta said, ophcrack is the solution.

If you aren't the admin on the machine, simply boot with a live cd of any linux distribution(anything that can boot) and copy the SAM ans SYSTEM file to your floppy/usb and then crack it with ophcrack by importing your data.
Give a man a fish, you feed him for one day.
Learn a man to fish, you feed him for life.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

deja vu

Post by DNR »

this thread is just like this one, going on simultaneously:

http://www.suck-o.com/modules.php?name= ... pic&t=5392

How to crack the sam
:roll:

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.