Linux Gaming

DON'T post new tutorials here! Please use the "Pending Submissions" board so the staff can review them first.
ayu
Staff
Staff

Linux Gaming

Post by ayu »

Thread will contain games that are working under Linux and how to get them to work, as well as games that are "in progress" of being playable.

My Specs

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHz

RAM: 2048 MB

G-card: Nvidia 8800 GT

Distro: Ubuntu 8.04

Cedega: 6.0.2, Engine 6.0.5 (with latest updates)

Wine: 1.0.0-1ubuntu~hardy1

Links

Code: Select all

http://www.playonlinux.com

Linux Native

Unreal Tournament 2004
Unreal Tournament 3
EVE: Online

There are some lists as well with native Linux games

List 1
List 2

Not working

Company of Heroes

Working

##########

Diablo 2
Diable 2 Expansion
Command & Conquer: Generals
Command & Conquer: Generals: Zero Hour
Richard Burns Rally
Soldat
Warcraft III
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne
Battlefield 2
Gearhead(1999)
Dungeon Siege
Trackmania
Red Alert
Starcraft
AvP 2
Half Life 2
Eternal Fighter Zero
Unreal Tournament
Metal Fatigue
Dungeon Keeper
Worms World Party
Halo combat evolved
Rapelay
Rune: Halls Of Valhalla
Grand Theft Auto 2
Command & Conquer: Renegade
Battlefield 1942
Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds
Civilization IV
F.E.A.R
World of Warcraft

##########

Diablo 2: Working with no difficulties with Cedega

Rating: Good

Version: 1.12

Screenshot:

ImageImage

Comment: No issues at all during installation, and the game works with full graphical settings.

Diable 2 Expansion: Working with no difficulties with Cedega

Version: 1.12

Screenshot:

ImageImage

Comment: No issues at all during installation, and the game works with full graphical settings.

Command & Conquer: Generals: Working with no difficulties with Cedega

Version: 1.8

Screenshot:

ImageImage

Command & Conquer: Generals: Zero Hour: Working with no difficulties with Cedega

Version: 1.04

Screenshot:

ImageImage

Richard Burns Rally: Working with no difficulties with Cedega

Version: 1.0

Screenshot:

ImageImage

Comment: Game has to be installed under WinXP support, and has to be started from the setup.exe directly (as in don't try to start the launcher). Game is not in the Cedega database over supported games but runs very smoothly. Game has to be run in WinXP mode and cracked with a V1.0 NOCD, else it will complain with the message "insert CD"

Soldat: Working with no difficulties with Wine

Version: 1.4.2

Screenshot:

ImageImage

Warcraft III: Working with no difficulties with Cedega

Version: 1.22

Screenshot:

ImageImage

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne: Working with no difficulties with Cedega

Version: 1.22

Screenshot:

ImageImage

Battlefield 2: Working with no difficulties with Cedega

Rating: Medium-Good

Version: 1.41

Screenshot:

ImageImage

Comment: Users MUST choose to accept the installation of DirectX 9.0C to play this game. Please carefully read the associated EULA and only accept if you meet all DirectX license requirements. This game must be installed and patched in Window XP compatibility mode. When updating the game, apply the large patches instead of the incremental patches. Incremental patches may cause the game to hang at startup afterwards. The NVIDIA 81.74 drivers will not work with Cedega 5.2.8 or later, please upgrade to the 87.74 or later drivers. This game must be run in Windows XP compatibility mode, and requires Pixel Shaders 1.4 (or higher) and FBO to be enabled.

Getting PunkBuster to work: The best way to get PunkBuster to work, so that you can play on ranked servers. Is to install the Linux version of PunkBuster.
The following files are only needed if your PunkBuster doesn't update by itself. Right click the appropriate links below and choose "save as" to your "pb\htm" folder - make sure the file you save is saved with the filename shown below. Players only need the files that correspond to their Operating System, Server Admins need all six files.
Client 1 Linux

Client 2 Linux

Simply save these files into your "/home/username/.cedega/Battlefield 2/c_drive/Program Files/EA GAMES/Battlefield 2/pb" folder. PunkBuster should work after that.

Graphic Settings:

The game becomes pretty unstable and crashes at random if you don't have the right Video settings in game. I have discovered that the following settings work very good for my setup, and doesn't kill too much of the details in game.

ImageImage

Note: When playing online the game lags A LOT for about 5 minutes, but it stops after that and runs smoothly. I think it's because the game is still loading the environment when you join, this happens with Windows as well, but the lag isn't as sever there.

Gearhead(1999): Working with no difficulties with Wine

Screenshot:

Dungeon Siege Working with no difficulties with Cedega

Screenshot:

ImageImage

Trackmania Working with no difficulties with Wine

Screenshot:

ImageImage

Red Alert Working with no difficulties with Wine

Screenshot:

ImageImage

Starcraft Working with no difficulties with Wine

Screenshot:

ImageImage

AvP 2 Working with no difficulties with Cedega

Screenshot:

ImageImage

Comment: No issues at all during installation, and the game works with full graphical settings. When trying to exit a game when run in WinXP mode, you will loose the main menu (black screen). This can be fixed though by running the game in Win2K mode.

Half Life 2 Working with difficulties with Cedega/Wine

Rating: Medium/Good

Screenshot:

ImageImage

Comment: Install it using Cedega, and during the installation it might complain about msiexec.exe or something, the file can be located on the Half Life 2 DVD and all you have to do is to install it in the Half Life folder using Cedega (since the folder is created when the error shows up the first time), but you have to install it in Win98 mode, as well as when you install steam and Half Life. When you are ready, simply run the game through Cedega. If it, however, doesn't start, then you can try starting it with wine instead. If you want to just run it, then just run it in wine like you usually do, start steam and run it, or start steam, and run the hl2.exe file through wine, either way is fine. If you want it to run in windowed mode, you can issue the following command in the half life 2 folder in SteamApps:

wine hl2.exe -window -applaunch 220 -dxlevel90
Also, you might want to change wine to use OSS instead of ALSA, since half life doesn't seem to cope well with it.

If you have a Dual Core processor, this might solve your problems (running cedega with only one core)

taskset -c 1 cedega 

Eternal Fighter Zero Working with no difficulties with Cedega/Wine

Screenshot:

ImageImage

Comment: No issues at all during installation, and the game works with full graphical settings. I tried it in both Cedega and wine, works fine both ways.

Unreal Tournament Working with no difficulties with Cedega

Screenshot:

ImageImage

Metal Fatigue Working with no difficulties with Wine

Screenshot:

ImageImage

Dungeon Keeper Working with no difficulties with Wine

Screenshot:

ImageImage

Worms World Party Working with no difficulties with Cedega

Screenshot:

ImageImage

Halo combat evolved Working with no difficulties with Wine

Version: 1.08

Screenshot:

ImageImage

Comment: The installation might be tricky at points. Installing the game with Cedega brings up a few errors, but finishes pretty smoothly, but the issues arise when you try to play, and it gets stuck in an endless loop of "Gathering exception data", which eventually, will freeze your comp. So, I recommend installing it with Wine, but to do so you have to download THIS file and put it in the system32 folder n your wine c_drive folder, after this the DLL file that was unable to open during install, should work, and the installation should continue cleanly (might come up a few errors but usually they can be safely ignored). After this you have to make sure that wine is running in WinXP mode (might have to install it in Win98 mode, but you usually can't play it in Win98 mode due to a "debugger" error showing up). Then all you have to do is run the halo updated a few times until it is fully updated, and then just run the game. Works very smoothly for me =)

Rapelay Working with no difficulties with Wine

Screenshot:

ImageImage

Comment: No issues at all during installation, and the game works with full graphical settings, it needs to be patched though to be readable for a none Japanese speaking person. And since this is a pretty "odd" game I just have to say that this game was downloaded at a LAN-party a few years ago, and was really fun at the time.

Rune: Halls Of Valhalla Working with no difficulties with Cedega

Screenshot:

ImageImage

Grand Theft Auto 2 Working with no difficulties with Wine

Screenshot:

ImageImage

Command & Conquer: Renegade Working with no difficulties with Wine/Cedega

Screenshot:

ImageImage

Battlefield 1942 Working with no difficulties with Cedega

Screenshot:

ImageImage

Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds Working with no difficulties with Cedega

Screenshot:

ImageImage

Comment: No issues at all during installation, and the game works with full graphical settings. You might have to use a NoCD though, since the game keeps asking for a CD when you try to play singleplayer mode.

Civilization IV Working with some difficulties with Wine

Rating: Medium-Good

Version: 1.74

Screenshot:

ImageImage

Comment: This game took a lot of time to get working properly, so I have made a step-to-step guide based on info that I have found around the net to make it work, and this seems to be working very good, but it takes time and patience. Also, a tip is to install the game first, and try it out before you do all these steps, because you might be lucky and not get the XML errors that usually occur.

1: Install the game using the setup.exe on the CD with Wine, make sure that you are running Wine in Win98 mode! else it wont work properly, also you HAVE to accept to install DirectX.

2: Download the 1.74 patch HERE and patch the game in Win98 mode

3: Now, go into the game folder
/home/username/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Firaxis Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 4
And backup the "civilization4.exe" file.

4: Download the 1.74 NoCD HERE (might not work with the CD sometimes, but you can jump this step until you have checked if it works with CD or not) and overwrite the file in the game folder.

5: Set wine to WinXP mode, and start the game using the following command
WINEDLLOVERRIDES="msxml3=n" wine "c:\program files\firaxis games\sid meier's civilization 4\civilization4.exe"
of course edit the game path to the path where you installed, but the one in this example is the default one.

6: You might have to grab the following files and place in the system32 folder on the wine c_drive

msvcr71.dll
msvcp71.dll

Anyway, if you have followed these steps and everything went alright, your game should work now :)

F.E.A.R Working with difficulties with Wine

Version: 1.08

Screenshot:

ImageImage

Comment: This game is very hard to get working, and there are a few pretty long steps that you have to go through to get it working.

1: Personally I installed and patched the game in Windows, and added a NoCD to it there, and then just copied that folder to my Wine c_drive on the Linux disc. But you can install it in Linux as well using Wine, works good, and the patches work as well, so you don't have to do it in Windows. Anyway, just make sure it's installed before you continue.

2: Now, you have to patch the Wine source code and recompile it. you can get the files below.

Patch
Wine src

Now, extract the wine source to any folder, and place the patch bin file in the same folder. Then open a terminal if you already haven't and sudo to root, and cd to the wine source folder that you just created, and do the following.

patch -p1 < nameofpatch.bin

./configure

make depend && make

make install
If everything went well, you should have a new patched wine version now

3: Now you have to open wincfg and add the following to the libraries and change them to "native"

d3dx9_27
d3dx9_30
d3dx9_36
dinput8.dll

also, make sure that they exist in the system32 folder in the c_drive of wine. If you can't find them then you can either download them by googling for them, or F.E.A.R failed to install DirectX9 and you will have to do it manually.

4: Disable ALSA sound and use OSS in Wine, since ALSA doesn't work for this game.

Extra fixes:

Only apply these if you are still experiencing trouble after the steps above.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D\OffscreenRenderingMode
to "fbo" to get better fps and Pixel Doubling/Soft Shadows working

Various MP3 files stored in the .Arch00 files would cause crashing
You can download the file from bespin.org/~draugath/FEAR/no_mp3.Arch00
Put the file in the main game directory and then edit the file Default.archcfg. It should read as follows in an unpatched v1.00 install.
FEAR.Arch00
FEARA.Arch00
FEARL.Arch00
FEARE.Arch00
no_mp3.Arch00
Game
There, if you did everything right (and ofc your hardware supports it, and that you have all the appropriate drivers installed) you should now be able to start F.E.A.R in Wine! :D

World of Warcraft Working with no difficulties with Wine

Version: 3.0.2

Screenshot:

ImageImage

Comment: The game plus expansion, TBC with the newest patch, 3.0.2 pre wotlk patch, works very good. When installing you might have to transfer all the install data into one folder on your disk, and install from there. If you dont you, get issues like the launcher crashing and you may get an error saying that there is no install data, and in some Ubuntu and Debian cases, you get no install.exe at all on the disc. When patching to 3.0.1 or greater, the game might crash upon starting. Adding -opengl to your start command as an argument might do the trick for you then, it did for me at least.
Last edited by ayu on 25 Oct 2008, 05:09, edited 56 times in total.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

G-Brain
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Re: Linux games thread

Post by G-Brain »

cats wrote:Since there is a lot of work when getting games to work good in Linux, this is placed on this board instead of the gaming board.
The problem is getting Windows games to work on Linux, for which you have to emulate an operating system, which is understandably a pain.

I usually play games on a console, but on Linux I play Nexuiz.
I <3 MariaLara more than all of you

ayu
Staff
Staff

Re: Linux games thread

Post by ayu »

G-Brain wrote: The problem is getting Windows games to work on Linux, for which you have to emulate an operating system, which is understandably a pain.

I usually play games on a console, but on Linux I play Nexuiz.
yeah, play a lot of console too, but would be so awesome if I could get games like Battlefield 2 to work good on Linux ^^

visser

Post by visser »

battlefield 2 is reported to work pretty good with wine. specialy with ubuntu. im gonna work at it a bit in a moment here and get back to you on it :P

call of duty 4 works aswell. you just have to figure punkbuster out is the prob

EDIT: i was able to get call of duty 4 working. i had to use some really low settings but im pretty pumped that i got it working. i hardly play games on my cmoputer but i am still really pumped that i got this working for linux! if you want to get it to work this link should help you a lot

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... &iId=12804

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

I just read that Unreal Tournament 3 is getting a Linux installer soon! :D Looking forward to that =o

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

I ussually play games on my console also, and pretty much all the fun games are windows OS, so really all you need is Wine to run them on your linux system, i had to do this the other day for my 10 day free World of Warcraft trail, I had funky resolution issues at first but managed to get it working.

einax17
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by einax17 »

OMG RAPELAY IZ AWESOME!! :D

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

hawttdawgg wrote:OMG RAPELAY IZ AWESOME!! :D
Is that a serious comment or? ^^

Because, even if it is indeed a game, it's a very horrible one. I have fought against my conscience a lot for playing it. But since a part of my life-philosophy is to take things with a grain of salt, then it's not a very big deal, since when you think about it, it's just something you see on a screen that is not real and does not hurt anyone. It's just the principle of the game that is bad, and it's not like the only ones who think about it, are people who rape and kill, because those are only the ones we know. There are a lot of people who think about it, but have a limit in their head that says "fuck nu, that's crazy" ^^

Anyway, at least that is what I think =P