meh new setup

...let us know what you think, free speech!
F4LSE
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

meh new setup

Post by F4LSE »

i rearranged my command center the other day and put up a new shelf.

what ya think...

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo16 ... G_0003.jpg

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Neat workspace

Post by computathug »

Nice control room buddy. I shall post mine again tomorrow. I might even take a before and after pic :lol:

Well now i have moved and with the bedroom being that small i had a choice of my computers or a double bed.....Guess which won. The camp bed is really comfy actually :twisted:

I have a Dell P4 too that runs Debian etch great. :wink:

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

Nice set up1 I am going to get some thing like that too soon! :D
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

all plugged up

Post by DNR »

Nice set up too Diag.
Whats the knife for? I see a wooden handle peering out in the right lower corner :lol: I thought you would have a pistol or at least a battle axe propped up somewhere.

Not to be a dick, but you should not have everything plugged in to one power strip. The hifi stereo can be a big power draw if you crank it up too, so it should not be on the same power strip. If you get some money get a UPS, uninteruptable power supply. Its not just for back-up power if you lose power, but it filters the power feeding the computers. I wouldn't make an issue about it, but you do have three computers running, along with their monitors. A nice UPS can have three outlets with uninteruptable power and surge protection, and have three outlets with just plain surge protection. This would mean in the event of a massive power failure, you can have your main computer still alive to properly save your data and shut down all the while the stereo will be playing "oblivion" by FaithNoMore :lol:

Lighting is important, I would have a moveable arm to hang a small light over the keyboards or an area for books. I hate tube flourescent lighting, its like after awhile you can pick up the light fluttering, and its never quite that bright enough. The stereo is indeed a important item to have, think like me, a lot of us might work better with a distraction music in the background. The speakers should not be near your box or storage media library - remember they are big magnets. I also prefer to lock the door when I am busy, signage outside the door works "I shoot first then ask questions" . Good ventilation is important, but don't have the cpu/UPS near a heat vent. I use a floor fan to move air if I need it. Don't put your boxes on the floor, the computer fans will suck in every bit of hair and dust there. I mentioned the chair, and its important - the more comfy you are, the more you can sit! I prefer a high back, nicely padded, leather, office type chair, they got all the controls to raise/lower, tip, and even armrest height. They can be easily $150, but its worth it. Still have money? Get a refridgerator, and don't plug it into the UPS :wink: It'll be nice to have a cold coke or red bull handy.

Once I get all settled in myself I plan on a similar setup. Nothing like a comfy office chair, a real table for a mouse, and two or more computers at your command.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

nice! and take good care of the late 70's or early 80's tuner/amplifier, such devices are classics already... :wink:

here is my set up again, but I will build myself a new table soon....my work position is not really optimal.
ImageImage

ImageImage
the little black box on the left is my brand new 1TB HDD media player, I really love that thing...:D

Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect
Location: #db_error in: select usr.location from sucko_member where usr.id=63;

Post by Nerdz »

You should get a KVM to get rid of one keyboard and ne mouse
Give a man a fish, you feed him for one day.
Learn a man to fish, you feed him for life.

F4LSE

Post by F4LSE »

Thanks guyz, she is a really nice efficient setup :D

thanks for the tips too DNR. and yes it is a knife... :wink:
I made sure my boxes were a good distance away from the speakers. I feel better when they are up high and away from human error too.
also, i do have a surge protector power strip. i should probably hook her up instead, just to be on the safe side. the other side of my command center i have a fouton and a big cooler. My father works at Coke so its an endless supply of caffeine goodness :P

I never would have thought the mighty Bad_Brain would have such a simple setup. Theres absolutely nothing wrong with that i was just picturing more of a decked out place like from die hard IV :wink:

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

Well I also did some work on my own set up. I got one comp that runs 24/7 in a room all by it self so that it does not annoy me with that buzzing sound from the fans!

Code: Select all

http://img158.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc02675fv1.jpg
http://img291.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc02676fq6.jpg
http://img254.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc02672cz5.jpg
- Hannibal

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

nice lyec, what speakers do you have? are those Creative Gigaworks ones? :-k

oh, and if you need some good and very silent fans look for "Noiseblocker Multiframe" ones, best fans I had yet....and I tried at least 30 different ones already, I am pretty anal about the noise level of my system.. :lol:

Diagnol wrote:I never would have thought the mighty Bad_Brain would have such a simple setup. Theres absolutely nothing wrong with that i was just picturing more of a decked out place like from die hard IV :wink:
hehe, well, 2 computers (1 of them as server)...that's all you need....I just like it to look "clean" and spent a lot of time hiding all the cables, earlier I used a KVM switch but now the server is administrated remotely through the main system, saved a lot of cables again that way... :)
maybe I will post a pic of my attic later...that's where all the unused hardware is stored, REAL messy... :lol:

F4LSE

Post by F4LSE »

hehe, well, 2 computers (1 of them as server)...that's all you need....I just like it to look "clean" and spent a lot of time hiding all the cables, earlier I used a KVM switch but now the server is administrated remotely through the main system, saved a lot of cables again that way...
maybe I will post a pic of my attic later...that's where all the unused hardware is stored, REAL messy...

lol True. I have a server and a main system as well. But im gonna set up another box and have a second server :D

as you can see in my setup i have all the wire mess up top instead of all on one counter. but now that u mention it i dont see hardly any cords in your setup. good stuff :wink:

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

lye, nice green 'desktop'.
It looks cold down in that basement. And is that a day-glow green hoola hoop propped against the wall there? :wink:
That office chair looks just like the one I had a few years ago, it was the best, and ya still needed a pillow for the back..

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

DNR wrote:lye, nice green 'desktop'.
:oops:
DNR wrote: It looks cold down in that basement.
Actually it is not the basement. This room is part of the apartment that I live in. It was meant to be some sort of a storage! Any way I took it for my own. It served various purposes over time but now I use it as my server room. I can keep my box running here while I am in the other room. I just lock the door and I do not need to worry about it!
DNR wrote:And is that a day-glow green hoola hoop propped against the wall there? :wink:
Yes! I some times need to exercise. I put on my gym clothes go into the front yard and put on some music...one of those rap songs where they go, "shake your booty." Some one told me you burn a lot of fat that way. :lol: :lol:
DNR wrote:That office chair looks just like the one I had a few years ago, it was the best, and ya still needed a pillow for the back..
The chair is broken so that is why it is leaning against the wall. It has two broken legs and I need that pillow to prop me in the sitting position.
- Hannibal

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

hey the reference to the desktop was to the PC desktop :wink: hint you burn it!

My last nice computer setup was when I lived in a warehouse my parents owned. You could drive two vehicles inside, and it had a indoor shooting range. I had living quarters and office space inside the double pole barn. The office was perfect, a real desk, multiple phone lines, air conditioning.
The living quarters just had to be a 32" tv, game console, bed, closet, and iguana. The pistol range was about 25' and its back stop was made of brick, old books from the company my dad ran, 4x4s and foam. I also ran a vehicle security systems business out of it, I could have my personal vehicle pulled inside (a jimmy 4dr w/Vortec!) while working on a customer's vehicle (a BMW or Typhoon). It was out in the boonies, so it had a bigger shooting range outside made with old tires. It had a long driveway to pull into so people knew they couldn't sneak up on me. I could jam my stereo at full volume and walk outside naked during a drunken wander. :lol:
As much as I like the portability of my lappie I miss the precision of a mouse and proper keyboard. Give me a desktop setup built in to a lazyboy recliner..

DNR
-

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

Lyecdevf wrote: The chair is broken so that is why it is leaning against the wall. It has two broken legs and I need that pillow to prop me in the sitting position.
I've got the same chair, I broke it making out with some chick on night when I was drunk at University..we fell backwards and the leg came up and smashed against the heater. So, I went around another residence into a bunch of rooms and popped off various wheels from other chairs until I found one that fit in mine..after a few tries I found one, so I took another incase another one breaks. Normally, I don't steal but I didn't want to buy another $150 chair because I was drunk because we all know beer is a much more important investment. But, go look around and see if you can find old broken chairs and repair yours..similar wheels arnt hard to find.