Have concept - need help with the programming

All about creating websites!
Still_Learning
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Have concept - need help with the programming

Post by Still_Learning »

I have my telnet BBS setup to work like a DOS prompt so if you want to goto the msg board you type msgboard.com or files.exe, or whatever..

I would like to try and create / emulate a DOS or Unix prompt on a http page.. is this possible?

so say they goto the address bar and type whatever.com

it brings them to

C:\> or such (it will not actully be root access just a pretend one)

screen all blck with white text, able to accept commands from the prompt like dir *.exe or commands with variables.. or is this too compplicated and cant be done? or would it take like 1000 html pages to accomplish? what is the best way to do this? php? thanks

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

well depends =/

I guess you could do it with flash, and make it send the info with the POST method to the server, and have PHP handle it and execute the commands via system calls, an maybe send the answer back to print on the flash app.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

humm.. I guess flash may work but i do not know that much about programming in it, and heard it is pretty vulnerable.

Do you know of a way other then flash to do it, and it look like a real command prompt? like say the page woint refresh everytime.. it will stay like

c:\> dir
(http file dir listing shows)

c:\>forums.exe

then it goes to the forums or such..

i dunno kind of weird i guess but never have seen it done yet and sounded cool

is there any html code that will run one line at a time .. instead of clearing the page everytime?

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

hmmm, well I guess you could do it with Java, and might work with Javascript as well. I'm not very high on any of them, so I can't really help you with that.

EDIT: as a side note. I have done exactly what you want to do, in flash once, and it worked quite well =)

It did not interact with the system itself though, and only had a small amount of commands. But it was quite easy to make.

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

cats wrote:hmmm, well I guess you could do it with Java, and might work with Javascript as well. I'm not very high on any of them, so I can't really help you with that.

EDIT: as a side note. I have done exactly what you want to do, in flash once, and it worked quite well =)

It did not interact with the system itself though, and only had a small amount of commands. But it was quite easy to make.
ouch.. guess i will need to study more on flash. What did you use macromedia flash or notepad?
example code would be nice also =)
thanks man

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

itzm3 wrote: ouch.. guess i will need to study more on flash. What did you use macromedia flash or notepad?
example code would be nice also =)
thanks man
Well the code is gone since a long time, but I used Macromedia Flash MX I believe =)

Not much coding there actually ^^ just very basic action script

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

me thinks you are talking about a shell emulator. You could have a program act as a shell to talk via telnet to the BBS, it would be given limited rights to run on the server.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

DNR wrote:me thinks you are talking about a shell emulator. You could have a program act as a shell to talk via telnet to the BBS, it would be given limited rights to run on the server.

DNR
I allready have a shell emulator setup on telnet, I would like to have the same on my http site, but at the same time it be secure like the telnet version

also someone suggested Ajax, do you think that would be better then Flash?
which would be the most efficient / secure code to use? thanks

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Yeah AJAX would work. But you would have to learn a few scripting languages and stuff to use it I guess.

Code: Select all

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AJAX

This is what AJAX is made of:
*XHTML and CSS for presentation
*the Document Object Model for dynamic display of and interaction with data
*XML and XSLT for the interchange and manipulation of data, respectively
*the XMLHttpRequest object for asynchronous communication
*JavaScript to bring these technologies together

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

For flash I use CS 3. PM me for more information :twisted:

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

I've got a foundation laid down for this project now and it seems to be working , just need to modify /edit /add some cool stuff

:twisted:

it looks like the bash shell, if anyone is interested PM me and i will link you to the site im working on
Gone