Suck-O's Intergration and Population

Announcements and for questions/problems..
ebrizzlez
Kage
Kage

Suck-O's Intergration and Population

Post by ebrizzlez »

Hm.. I was thinking. I understand Suck-O is a small community which is very comfortable and feels like home. But what if we expanded that?
We could use social networks such as Myspace and Facebook to help support expanding the community.

B_B maybe you could use an ad or two to start paying off your bills. And with the incoming users the traffic would be rewarding.

Idk. Maybe a crazy idea. It would flood in the skiddies with the questions, and we wouldn't want to prosper a community of skiddies in advent who only seek destruction, but it could be beneficial. Suck-O would soon be a massive home for many users on the net. Idk, its one of my crazy ideas.
[img]http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j205/ebrizzlez/4lsint1.jpg[/img]

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Well, I have always liked the idea of expanding the community, but using other networks to spread will show weakness, that we "need them" to spread and be seen. Also I hate both Myspace and Facebook, especially Facebook because of their terms of use. Also, Suck-o is a 100% ad free community ;) But yeah, there has been some discussion about maybe try and be seen more by showing some part of the forum to google, so that more hits would show up for the site, but this is still a question in discussion =)
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, of course I also would love suck-o to be bigger than google....but I generally dislike the idea of having ads on the site, if I would place an ad I really would have to like the product personally and would be able to recommend it....so if someone finds a green tea company that will pay for an ad let me know... :lol: but I really wouldn't place one of the usual ads for faceless corporations like Amazon for example.
I think the upcoming suck-o merchandising will cover a good part of the server fee anyway, so there is no reason for ads imo.

I also don't want money to be involved in the site, money is evil and I have enough to do with it in my business life, so I don't want to deal with it in my fun time too....and that's what suck-o is about: fun. of course some people do business together here from time to time, but that's surely not the reason why they come her...it's just a nice little side effect.
the merchandising will also not be about making money, I will demand a few bucks more than I pay for the stuff and this money will go into the server rent, the main intention is to supply high quality fun stuff for the community....and well, people wearing suck-o shirts for example will be like walking ads and promote the site too.

suck-o is still growing, more features and more visitors every year (yep, I think it's already safe to say we will have more visitors again than the year before, it'll be not a huge increase by numbers but it is a huge one when you keep in mind that progenic is the only toplist now where suck-o is signed up...before it were up to 10 toplists).
so I prefer to keep it this way and let suck-o grow in a healthy way....makes no sense to force a gigantic increase of site traffic that would only cause chaos and take the fun away.... :wink:

str33tl0rd
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by str33tl0rd »

i think if we try with advertising to get our heads up in other places other than progenic or other places like progenic......Suck-o won't feel like home again....it will be too chaotic....for example...mininova (its big right?)...im not sayin its bad....but it doesn't feel like "home"....as suck-o feels....i don't really know how to describe it

i think we should let suck-o just expand the way it is exanding

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

If you had a banner ad somewhere such as google adsense on the bottom or something, I would click it to support..

would not bother me, just try and make it where it displays in a diffrent browser when you click it instead of switching me from this site to the banners

no pop ups plz lol

i had a site i made 120$/month from banner ads on google adsense, it helps the site pay for itself

and I also see what your saying about not getting to big and flooded

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

i still say that we need something like a scriplancer or coder for hire kind of corner here at sucko. I like the facebook idea. but not for private pictures etc more related to a good information pool on skills etc.
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, such business is usually made in IRC or via PM, also the promotion board can be used for this....but well, if you have a good idea how to implement it in a better way let us know... :)

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

money money money

Post by DNR »

1. Buy a Suck-o T-shirt when they come out (soon!)
2. Myspace and facebook is AOL for hackers (lame)
3. Suck-o is really a vortex, everything gets sucked in to it, so suck-o only appears to be a small site, all the while consuming everything in its path.

If you really feel that guilty, browsing the wealth of nfo on our pages and being graced with our presence - feel free to send money to paypal "bad_brain@suck-o.com"

:wink:
DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

bad_brain wrote:hm, such business is usually made in IRC or via PM, also the promotion board can be used for this....but well, if you have a good idea how to implement it in a better way let us know... :)
offtopic: Im starting to hate that edit button :P

The idea's are there, the knowledge to create it however is not ;).

I am a very creative person when it comes to idea's but I am not a person who can accomplish much when it comes to generating something that needs to be coded. my interest currently lay with maximizing profits and process improvement in a business environment ;)

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

Well I made this http://suck-o.myminicity.com/ once! :D I also helped to promote the site on W4 when they had a thread of all hacker forums! :D
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

N3rd, get the damn internet again. I need some business related advice, well more so financial. Or at least hop on MSN from an internet cafe sometime.

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

Big-E wrote:N3rd, get the damn internet again. I need some business related advice, well more so financial. Or at least hop on MSN from an internet cafe sometime.
Big E ur in luck Today I got my internet up and running at home :D.

TheKingOfHearts

Post by TheKingOfHearts »

i think its near impossible to make a PHP-Nuke somehow use Facebook and Myspace

the best thing it could do is custom profile field that would link to such one

and those are pretty lame specially myspace
DNR wrote:2. Myspace and facebook is AOL for hackers (lame)

:wink:
DNR
hahaha. true say.
[url=http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/2034/oopsrg8.gif]/sig[/url]