Laptop issues

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Laptop issues

Post by Gogeta70 »

Hey guys, Most of you know that i bought a new laptop when i got here, and i still can't get my old one to work.

What happens is that when i plug it in to the charger, battery or not, there is no power led. When i press the power button, it doesn't come on. I went so far as to buy a new charger for it, but that didnt' work. I also took the laptop cover off and tested to make sure that the charger port hadn't come loose from the motherboard. Do you guys have any ideas?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Well there is a small fuse soldered on the motherboard that may have blew. Try looking for it right after the DC plug input. If you need one I can mail it to you. Otherwise make sure its not the DC plug. You might already know this so hope I am not barking up a tree, but you can press down or wiggle the power supply cable to see if it boots up.

Is this laptop a Toshiba?

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

I'll try that when i get back to the barracks. No, my laptop is an HP Special Edition L2000.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

If the powercord is universal - swap out the powercord. If the powercord is no good, it can't charge the battery either.

Let us know, maybe submit a video of you shooting it up on the range.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

I had a similar issue with my laptop (which turned out to be my cord after all) but while I was waiting for that to ship, I checked out everything else out..did you check for any blown capacitors? You can do that by looking at the top of them, sometimes they will be burnt, blown or 'bubbled' - check this link: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=195

Like Floody said, laptops have a problem with the DC Input coming loose and sometimes melting off entirely - yes, the laptop gets hot enough to melt the joints. Be sure to check those when you get your laptop apart, because it`s a helluva job. I put mine back together with only 2 extra screws left, see if you can beat that. :P Oh, and careful when taking off the heatsink, sometimes in laptops it is tricky.