Scamming, scammers.

Our very own fight club!
Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

Usually posts over than a month old shouldn't be opened, however I will make an exception here - it was a well thought out post and it would be a shame to ignore it.

I feel you man, the job market is definitely not in any condition to pick and choose your jobs, you can take what you get, when you get it. I also work a shitty job but I am trying to put myself in the position to work for myself, it`s taking some time, and lots of work - sometimes I slack, but I am getting better at not getting distracted...the new computer I got does not help. :-/

Anyway man, if you need advice and shit for your job search, hit me up..I have plenty of experience and I am generally well apt with writing resumes...I idle in IRC pretty much 24/7.

Cheers, and best of luck in your job hunt!

Still_Learning
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by Still_Learning »

Thanks Big-E, I may take you up on that. Its late, im getting some sleep in to be fresh for tommarows interview. I'll keep you posted if i get the job [-o<
Gone

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

just got back from the interview.. it was another job scam

first they tell me it is a customer service job with all inbound calls at 13/hr i get in for the interview,and all of a sudden it changes to being a sales job where they send me to diffrent locations to sell their crap (useing my own car, no hourly all commission) plus overheard the lady talking about how some guy who worked there quit or got fired the 3rd day and his paycheck was going to be 15$ or something like that.. i go into the interview and the guy says If i receive the position i will have to work one day for 6 hours for free to see how its done.. told him n/m shove the job up his ass and left

this has to be the biggest scam right now.. employers preying on employees or people who need work, trying to fuck everybody over.. at least now im gaurenteed an hourly pay.. the job market is fucked up
Gone

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

You should do research on the company of course before you go on the interview. But I suppose some job scams will still happen. You did the right thing - if it don't feel right, it probably isn't. When I go to a place of employment I look around, see what kind of cars in the parking lot (if only the owner has a nice expensive car - its not a good sign) I look at their office equipment, is it temporary or permanent? If its leased equipment - its easy for the company to get shut down - they don't pay - they get repo'ed. Companies need three things to make it - assets (to get loans), something to sell, and customers. If they don't have one of those things, its going to be a scam where you have to pay them for nothing.

Go to a college, you don;t have to be a student - they have job boards and job office. You can walk in to the job office like a new student and ask for the job book. This is social engineering at its most useful - fronting yourself as a college student to get a job. I did this several times at a large college even though I left for another smaller school - I still hit up all the colleges in the area for their job office/book. Companies post their good stuff here, because they want college level people. The companies are also screened by the job office. The job bulletin board might be the only thing available - but scams can be found.

This is why it is important for a hacker to not be so antisocial - you need a social network because you can ask friends for job openings where they work. Sometimes all you need is a hook from a friend to get hired in.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

I allready checked the job board at the community college, and most of my friends are out of jobs too or are lucky to have one, and are working as hard as they can to keep it.. no jobs here, im sure they open sometimes but they are filled instantly (atleast the good to semi good ones)
Gone

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

Good advice DNR, another thing I can add is a simple concept - if you think it`s too good to be true, it probably is. When it comes down to it, the only way to make money is work hard - if they promise all this income, chances are it won't come unless you have tons fo schooling or play a professional sport..etc, or are "self-made". Also, if a company has to sell itself to get employees, you probably shouldn't apply there.

My suggestion, pick a spot you would LIKE to work; write up a resume and cover letter applicable to that particular job, then go there and ask to speak to the manager. Tell them your story, why you want to work there say you are ready to start at the bottom and work your way up (emphasis on proving your worth) thank him for his time and leave. Make a good first impression, worst case scenario you are out a few minutes of your time, best case scenario, he will read over your resume, look into your further and bring you in for a interview - remember, a lot of the good jobs are not even advertised because they are in high demand. It just something they don't have to do, an extra expense that is not necessary.

jaggy1
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by jaggy1 »

Another little known fact about community colleges - any resident of that county is entitled to utilize all the offered services such as job search ect. This includes resume writting ect. While it may take some time to get in I found it helpful to have someone look over my resume and help me fine tune it to the different jobs I was interested in. They saw things I missed because I was so familiar with what was on my resume. And best of all its FREE !!

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

Those are all alot of good points, alot of it i knew, but did not think about what Big-E said about the good jobs are not advertiseing openings because they dont have too. Very good point. One factor though is the fact that i live in one of the citys that has the highest unemployment rates in the united states weighs in also. I have never had a problem getting jobs in my life until recently. The majority of jobs here are call centers, retail, tech, and entertainment. I need atleast an A+ cert to get and entry level job here in IT. I've been looking for a 2008 A+ practice exam so if any one has one or knows where one is please shoot me a PM. The only one I can find online was good but from like 2004 or older
Gone

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

Still_Learning wrote:Those are all alot of good points, alot of it i knew, but did not think about what Big-E said about the good jobs are not advertiseing openings because they dont have too. Very good point. One factor though is the fact that i live in one of the citys that has the highest unemployment rates in the united states weighs in also. I have never had a problem getting jobs in my life until recently. The majority of jobs here are call centers, retail, tech, and entertainment. I need atleast an A+ cert to get and entry level job here in IT. I've been looking for a 2008 A+ practice exam so if any one has one or knows where one is please shoot me a PM. The only one I can find online was good but from like 2004 or older
Don't get your A+ certification, in my opinion. Start a professional blog, writing functional tutorials, documention various interesting finds..etc; include a link to this page, it should be sufficent enough to an employer to let them know more than any paper tech would..you practice, and practice does make (near) perfect..eventually...sometimes, you know what I mean. Anyway, I've had some short comings when in an interview process, I recently didn't get a job at an ISP due to not having any signifcant credentials (even though my interview and other experience was entirely applicable and impressed the interviewer) however, there was someone else internally at a lower level positon who had done that position for a few years, also applied and they ended up getting the job because they performed their current task well. However, with that being said, they made a HUGE mistake..he has a whole bunch of Microsoft certifications, however this position was tier 3 tech support position in a NOC, basically entirely network orientented on propriatary systems based on Unix. I was recently talking to my cousin and asked how the guy they hired was doing (he works in the same NOC, different team) and he said horrible - it just goes to show, sometimes paper does put you in a position over someone else, but I think at times employers DO wisen up and will see past paper and look for real technical experience. Join an open source project, get your name out there..then go looking. A job won't find you...

..now, to practice what I preach. (instead I sit here at work, shitty ass job, on suck-o, with my feet on my desk...*sigh)

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

I agree 100%, there was a guy who i used to work with who had his MSCE and did not even know how to send a ping.

Unfortunately there are so many tech people where I live they dont care, they tell you not even to apply unless you have your A+ for a entry lvl job. When a job position is open they pick to interview the people judgeing by their resume on how "certified" they are
I have a great resume (but no certs), my ex girlfriend who used to work for an IT staffing company made it for me. I have listed on my resume as being a IT consultant / Webmaster since 2004 with plenty of professional businesses locally which always say great things about me to potential employers and still same thing. If they ask for references I have 6 websites running online right now that I built and they can check out, and have probuly built atleast 100 sites so far. Sometimes (atleast from what I have seen in my area) is that the people hiring have no idea about computers, so they go by how many certs you have. Sounds like what happened in your situation, the hiring manager is probuly some old person who can barely use Microsoft office trying to figure out who to hire or who the best canidate is for the tech job. The majority of the time they are not going to sit you both side by side and see who can complete the task the best. They are just going to see who has the most professional certifications, and probuly dont even know what all the certs mean or are for.
Gone

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

Actually, you are right - my interview was with who would have been my supervisors, they both had high technical apititute, one was head of network operations and the other would have been the manager of the team I applied for..I had a nice chat with them regards to Open Source software..etc..it went great, in the end it was Human Resources that fucked me over (probably based on my resume or perceived worth) in the end, it`s all a marketing gimmick, the best marketing ploy will win...I did not job my job, I did not get the job.