Math problem

...let us know what you think, free speech!
n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Math problem

Post by n3rd »

The demand for a college newspaper is 1500 copies per month if the paper is for free and
the demand drops to 1200 copies per month if they’re priced € 1 a copy.

4 a. Determine the linear demand function.

5 b. The supply is given by the following equation: 20p – q + 1020 = 0
Calculate the equilibrium price and quantity.

6 c. If the price equals € 0.70, how many papers are supplied and how many are demanded?
Does this result in a supply shortage or surplus?

6 d. Suppose the demand changes and is given by the following equation:

q = +
1000 (3square)2
p

Calculate the price if the quantity is 1400 copies.

Im most concerned about A and B, please help me, explain to me how you solve it.
Last edited by n3rd on 12 Nov 2008, 03:08, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

Lundis
Distorter of Reality
Distorter of Reality

Post by Lundis »

I'm not sure if this is what is being asked for, but in A it would be like demand = 1500-300*price, wouldn't it?

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

I think part a is just asking for the equation not an answer. After doing a little bit of research this is the best way i could find in helping you for what you need.

Read here and it explains linear functions and equations.

Code: Select all

http://www.zweigmedia.com/RealWorld/tutorialsf0/frames1_4B.html

Any more help needed just ask and i will take another look in an hour or 2 when i have a little more time.

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

yeah, I had a math test today, hope I scored enoug....but then again, I just received an email that I failed my report....again T_T

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Well look.

I admit on my other classes, the math classes, the history, the chemistry, etc (never on the CIS classes!) I would sometimes cheat.

I think your problem could have been solved with the teacher's version of the text book. Or even simply working with another classmate or study group. I would sometimes make cheat sheets that went on my shoes, on my pen, and even on my skin. Formulas, tips, tricks and sometimes just the plain answers.

I know I encourage learning and study, but why should a student be penalized for one or two questions. Is it the teacher's fault that you didn't get the answer right?

The teacher's version of the books were stolen from the teacher's possesion - either in the teacher's lounge, their locker, or right from the desk. You could also try to find it on a site that sells new/used books if you had to. Usually the same teacher's guide is used every semester because the teacher gets so used to teaching the class a certain way.

I did lots of 'covert ops' to find exams in the copy room - remember schools try to save money by having one big copy machine - in one room. In the small college I went to, I could dumpster dive for exams and lessons - it was easy to find the bag in the dumpster - its the only one filled with papers.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Well to solve for A i would think that you could do the following:

Code: Select all

Given Y2-Y1 / X2 - X1

X1 = 0
X2 = €1
Y1 = 1500
Y2 = 1200

You get -300
The linear function would be Y=Mx+b where "b" is 1500

This solves C at 1290. If i am doing this right let me know and ill give more help. Otherwise I may be way off.

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

I cheat my way through it also , but by doing so I learn how to handle the formulas :roll: I just put them in my calculator with some .. in between the next steps. This was the last thing I needed because it was 1/3rd of all the points but my fellow students could not explain to me how it worked.

ah well. I will probably fail this year ne way. such a negative day.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Hey what the hell!

Was i on the right path? Can you let me know, to hell if you want to learn I am curious if I solved the linear part correct.

:lol:

Please don't leave me hanging. What kind of math are you taking / what capture are you on?

Lundis
Distorter of Reality
Distorter of Reality

Post by Lundis »

I just realized that functions is what my current course in maths is about 8O.

N3rd, exactly what is it that you don't understand? I'd be happy to help but I'm terrible at understanding all the complicated words involved, so if you have any specific questions it would be easier to try explaining it.

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

floodhound2 wrote:Hey what the hell!

Was i on the right path? Can you let me know, to hell if you want to learn I am curious if I solved the linear part correct.

:lol:

Please don't leave me hanging. What kind of math are you taking / what capture are you on?
its economical math. and yes you where on the right path

im not gonna bother with solving this any further, as there is a flaw in the question (which they told me today, for the last 3 questions data is missing apperently.

str33tl0rd
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by str33tl0rd »

right now i go to highschool, year 9-- i don't cheat in my maths and science and no way IST, but i find it annoyin to study for history, geography, PDHPE and all these other lessons..but lol, DNR, i don't put the cheats in my shoes--man how did u do that --in our exam hall, we have like 10 teachers surrounding us and walkin around to catch anybody like DNR redhanded........

i took your advise DNR at stealin teacher's notes, specially overheads, everybody writes them down, while i steal of the overhead projector at the end of class.. :twisted: saves time...:D
A fools mind is at the mercy of his tongue and a wise mans tongue is under the control of his mind.~ Imam Ali (A.S)

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

I always carry a cheat sheet with me on exams, whether I've learned or not, it's an insurance policy :D

I'm gonna share a nice way to cheat on exams that works for me always:
-you write on a small piece of paper the things that you need (cheat sheet)
-you put it in your pocket or any other place that you desire, but note that it must be an available place
-when the exam starts look at your professor / teacher and when he's not looking at you slowly
carefully extract the cheat sheet and place it behind your exam paper, note: place it near the edges of the paper ( very important)
-when the teacher is on an acceptable distance from you, extract the cheat sheet just a little bit over the edge of the paper:
-if the teacher is on the acceptable distance, cheat, if not than place your free hand (the one that you don't use your pen with) and place it on the cheat sheet:
do so as well if you see that your teacher is closing to a dangerous distance
-if you realize that the teacher is coming your way, slowly move the cheat sheet under the exam paper
-if you're sloppy and the teacher notices that you cheat somehow, than you're screwed
-to prevent that, be smart. If the teacher is looking at you, stop with the cheat and act like you're thinking hard or writing
-when you're finished with the exam, wait for the end of the class and when the bell rings and everybody starts hasty going out, than remove the cheat sheet into your pocket. And the most important thing is: whatever you do, ACT COOL!

Now I don't know the teachers techniques in your places but here where I live it's the probably the best and simplest way to cheat. Hope I've helped.

EDIT: And btw: the code doesn't work... again... -_-

tags fixed by thugz

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

Phoby, what I used to do was steal exam paper ;)

this way you dont need to hide the paper, and u can throw it away later when u finish the exam.

however the downside I have with cheating, is that I memorise the cheat sheet in my head, thus not really needing it anymore, but I just like the comfort of it being there :D

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

The wrist watch was one way to sneak in notes. There were also various hiding places in the desk and the chair to dispose of notes before leaving.

I don't advocate cheating, the benefit of education must be learnt. I found cheating happens more in classrooms with lousy teachers - they failed to teach the lesson or had obscure, confused thinking that it just made it safer to cheat. With a 3.7gpa I would set the grading curve in my CIS classes - without cheating.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.