Minority report [g-speak spatial operating environment]

...let us know what you think, free speech!
n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Minority report [g-speak spatial operating environment]

Post by n3rd »

Is becoming a reality;

[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

That would probably be the end of the mouse and keyboard :cry:

But still, I don't know... Either it's a highly complex peace of work, or just a trick. :?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hmm...ok, surely looks impressive, but actually it's just a bigscreen equivalent of working on multiple desktops and using mouse gestures.
but what I really like is the ability for multiple users to work on the same desktop at the same time... :-k

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

I fixed the subject to reflect on the topic, minority report was too vague.

for more nfo go to http://oblong.com/
Oblong Industries is the developer of the g-speak spatial operating environment.

The SOE's combination of gestural i/o, recombinant networking, and real-world pixels brings the first major step in computer interface since 1984; starting today, g-speak will fundamentally change the way people use machines at work, in the living room, in conference rooms, in vehicles. The g-speak platform is a complete application development and execution environment that redresses the dire constriction of human intent imposed by traditional GUIs

Some of the SOE's core ideas are already familiar from the film Minority Report, whose characters performed forensic analysis using massive, gesturally driven displays. The similarity is no coincidence: one of Oblong's founders served as science advisor to Minority Report and based the design of those scenes directly on his earlier work at MIT.

The g-speak platform provides three core functional components:

•Gestural I/O
Hi-fi input for HD output

The g-speak platform is built around free-hand, three-space gestural input. Applications are controlled by hand poses, movement and pointing. Finger and hand motion are tracked to 0.1mm at 100 hz; pointing is pixel-accurate. Two-handed and multi-user input are fully supported.

Gestural I/O removes the imbalance between high-definition graphical output available from modern computers and the narrow input channel of the mouse and keyboard. Gestural input is measurably more efficient at performing complex navigation, sorting and selection tasks. A full library of components providing UI building blocks makes it easy for application programmers to take advantage of gestural benefits.

The g-speak input framework provides for mouse and keyboard use, too. Applications built to take advantage of gestural I/O also make use of legacy input devices when appropriate.

•Recombinant Networking
Structured coordination and data interchange

SOE applications process large data sets and support multi-person work-flows. The g-speak networking framework provides a collection of core library components that allow applications to scale transparently and dynamically across clusters of machines.

This transparent scalability offers three major benefits: effective use of cpu power in a LAN environment; built-in support for applications that enable collaborative work across the network; and the ability to add functionality to applications at run-time by adding new code, new machines, new screens and new people to a work context.

•Real-world Pixels
Spatial semantics at the platform level

Every graphical and input object in a g-speak environment has real-world spatial identity and position. Anything on-screen can be manipulated directly. For a g-speak user, "pointing" is literal.

A software development kit that runs on both Linux and Mac OS X is available. Applications are source-compatible across both operating systems and can run on ordinary desktop and laptop computers in addition to gesturally-equipped g-speak machines and clusters.

--

The cool feature of multiple people working on the same desktop is the 'Recombinant Networking Structured coordination and data interchange'.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.