download managers

...let us know what you think, free speech!
rhysh
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

download managers

Post by rhysh »

ok,so im on a slow network and im downloading a 1.4 gb file at average of 49-50 kb/ps

anyways another person who i wont give details on has just gone being "*** the wise" and turned of my comp by the powerpoint thinking "oh it saves power" great so the fucker got to 1.1gb downloaded and bang,it was a waste of fucking time,i only sat up like 4 hours waiting and then decided to run an app that would shutdown the pc a bit after the dl was complete,anyone else have "hereoes" that do this to ya,"oh oh i know,i save 60 cents by turning everything of at the powerpoint""wow arent i a fucking genious"

anyone else had this one happen?

DNR SEZ: Use descriptive subject title when posting, last warning!
Last edited by rhysh on 27 Nov 2008, 23:41, edited 1 time in total.

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

It`s easily solved - no one comes in my room, no one touches my shit.
I currently run at least two machines 24/7 and another 2 machines run a good portion of the time - it barely affects the power bill. I've compared month statements and by law our power commission has to give us our statistics.

Solution: Add a "do not touch" sign to your equipment and assert severe repercussions if it`s not obeyed. I suggest talking to Swan about repercussions, he is the master at punishment.

rhysh

Post by rhysh »

nah im pretty good at being a "punisher"

yea well ppl dont read signs like that here,lol if they were just using the power button on the comp,id just disable it or remove the power_sw switch from its button place,,and remove the button on the power supply,but it was turned of by the powerpoint,lol maybe i need a ups

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

actually you need a download manager, one that will resume the download where it left off.
Shutting off the computer via the on/off button or unplugging it risk losing data and even some windows settings like the desktop image.

Same here, I had a lock on my door, and frequently yelled at people to discourage them from visiting unannounced. Thats the worst thing you could do to our friendship - unannounced visits. Thats when the guns come out and I start talking like the end scene of the movie Scarface, Say hello to my little friend!

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

I am confused, you pull guns on people you know and I assume by being in your house, care for just a little?

rhysh

Post by rhysh »

ummm ,i have several dl managers,but because this host wont let you use file pausing etc,useless

best dl manager is meta products mass downloader;) imo

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

the object is to discourage UN-announced visits. I got no problem with friends that respect my space and call before dropping by.

You are not allowed to drop by.

DNR

:lol:
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

rhysh

Post by rhysh »

hey dnr,im at the front door,the cops are on my arse,fuck wat do i do

would that be an exception :p

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

good point, some DL managers will not work.
mass downloader is a pay software, did you find a crack? :wink:

Otherwise try these DL managers

http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/
http://www.speedbit.com/

--
Wget
http://www.gnu.org/software/wget/
(Command line download manager)
Command line lovers who want to cron their downloads want Wget, a highly hackable command line program that can perform all sorts of difficult downloading tasks, like mirror an entire web site, automatically download music or movies from a set of favorite weblogs, or transfer huge files painlessly on a slow or intermittent network connection.
Written in portable C, Wget can be easily installed on any Unix-like system and has been ported to many environments, including Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows, OpenVMS and AmigaOS.

http://curl.haxx.se/
FTP
FTPS
HTTP
HTTPS

TFTP
SCP
SFTP
Telnet

DICT
FILE
LDAP
LDAPS
----

Don't lead the cops to my house! Head to the Berville Hotel and crash there!

DNR
-

rhysh

Post by rhysh »

o_0

Code: Select all

Don't lead the cops to my house! Head to the Berville Hotel and crash there!
whatya got stashed dnr? bad dnr smoking weed eh

rofl @ Don't lead the cops to my house! Head to the Berville Hotel and crash there!

no crack needed for their current version

cause i think there is a bug,all other versions upon expiring wont let you use it at all

this version how ever when you click close on the dialog when it expires,doesnt kill the program,just the dialog :)

mass dl is great,i used to be able to get almost twice the speed on my dads network

usually 300-400 kbps but with that i some times got 6-700 kbps :p

mind you though it isnt that effective on this current connection
lol

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

:lol:

use u-Torrent.. you can start and stop the download as many times as you want, ive been downloading something and hit the reset button on my pc in the middle of the download a few times with no problems. You just go back into u-torrent and press start download and it continues from where you were at

their are some good firefox download managers for free also on their site, if you are downloading direct from a site and not useing a torrent

rhysh

Post by rhysh »

so does mass downloader,but personally i hate p2p,its crap if u ask me

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

why would you consider p2p crap? is it slower then useing a mass downloader? what do you prefer ftp? (i was getting 500 kbps the other night with utorrent)

rhysh

Post by rhysh »

mass dl isnt a p2p app,its a download manager

get it at m

Code: Select all

http://metaproducts.com/mp/Mass_Downloader.htm
its pretty fast compared to most dl managers,fastest ive seen anyways

p2p isnt that good imo because it can be very slow,and there is to many trapped(anti-p2p) torrents,junk files to and also for like every gig u download,you also upload like 1-1.5 gig,which uses ur dl limit

anyways thats why i said what i said

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

yeah i checked it out at download.com, i dont have too many good ftp lists or sites that i would use it for compared to the ease of p2p that i have been useing. I've been looking into usenet but heard it was pretty much dead.