Ok..maybe one of you guys (or gals) have an idea

Problems? Post here...
hackindave
forum buddy
forum buddy

Ok..maybe one of you guys (or gals) have an idea

Post by hackindave »

I have a older IBM Thinkpad laptop. It runs Winblows 2000 SP4.
I have ha it on the charger now for like 2 weeks. When I go to start it, it brings up the bios screen, then says loading OS and runs the bar across the bottom. It is usually at this point that it shuts down. I can turn it off and re-boot and it does the same thing.
Some times it gets all the way to loading the desktop and then it shuts down again.

Any ideas? When I do get it to load the desktop long enough, it shows battery at 85%

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, if the battery is still not fully charged after 2 weeks (!) it is most likely dead....rechargeable batteries usually last for about 2 years (when regularly used), then they get worse until they completely fail.

but when you have the power cable connected it should be no problem (at least on the laptops I know), so it points more to an OS problem...maybe a virus infection... :-k

just to make sure it is no hardware problem try to boot a Linux Live CD like Puppy Linux: http://www.puppylinux.org/

:wink:

electro-technic
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by electro-technic »

Hi there, I remember taking apart my computer one day and when I put it all together I had the exact same problem, it would run for about one minute and shut off. I eventually realized that I simply just forgot to plug in the little fan that sits on top the alluminum heatsink that cools the processor. I couldnt believe that my pc could stay on for months and months but without something as small as the fan it would not last 2 minutes. Not sure if it will help but just throwing the idea out there