I have a virus [solved]

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
YellowLemon

I have a virus [solved]

Post by YellowLemon »

Can someone help me with a removal program that doesn't require all the bulky bullshit but works good?

str33tl0rd
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by str33tl0rd »

hello,
i would recommend Eset Smart Security for a good anti-virus,anti-spyware and firewall AIO and compact. I am happy with it. Also, cleaning your registry is an important issue too, i use Registry Mechanic...the older versions are free...the newest one you need to purchase.
:wink:
A fools mind is at the mercy of his tongue and a wise mans tongue is under the control of his mind.~ Imam Ali (A.S)

ebrizzlez
Kage
Kage

Post by ebrizzlez »

Eset Nod32 requires a license but there are various versions with an unlimited trial time crack. But we do not support warezing on these forums so a safe and nice alternative is AVG. It's a very unique and powerful anti-virus tool that's completely free.

For firewall protection I would highly recommend ZoneAlarm, also free. SpyBot Search and Destroy is a great anti-spyware program that has a tea-timer program that monitors all registry changes. And AdAware for anti-adware tool, also another free tool.
:wink:
[img]http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j205/ebrizzlez/4lsint1.jpg[/img]

str33tl0rd

Post by str33tl0rd »

@ ebrizzlez
before eset i used AVG, its one of those antiviruses that actually gets infected by the actual virus...i would never recommend using that antivirus...but because it is free you might also use it....there is also another free antivirus program : Avast anti-virus, i think it is a way better one...[btw the version of AVG i used was a year ago, 7.5; the new ones might be better...i doubt that]
A fools mind is at the mercy of his tongue and a wise mans tongue is under the control of his mind.~ Imam Ali (A.S)

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

I would tend to think that you have no virus. Virus's are piratically nonexistent today so more than likely you have some type of malware. Try getting your hands on AGV its free and works from what I hear. I would just reformat the computer and start over. Make sure you have all the drivers first.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

You might search for virus removal on the popular antivirus sites, it could be something simple and not require a reformat.

I suggest Comodo Antivirus and Comodo has a separate app for the Firewall. You normally only run the Antivirus app when you do your routine computer health check, your computer will boot up faster and use less resources if you don't always have the AVP running. A good fiewall and some basic computer health checker like Process Explorer - something that you can gauge your computer performance - a dashboard of sorts.

You also want to organize yourself - have the OS and driver disk on hand, and back up your other important data - and on more than one medium - your HDD and a RW-CD, USB storage device, etc.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Everyone here as given you some good tips. From a mix of these is basically what i have running. Now its down to your own experience. If you are a fairly new user and trying to get to grips with your OS i recommend that you use these:-

Zone alarm free
AVG or Avast (these are both free)
Spybot search and destroy
Adaware 2007 SE Personal (2008 had problems with conflicting with spybot last time i checked....was a while ago)
CCleaner (cleans the registry and fixes registry errors)
Process checker

If you are a little more advanced and have the basic knowledge on firewalls and AV then i suggest using Comodo.

As floody said there aren't many virus's that will get onto your system these days so you need to find out what the malicious file is doing. Providing more info would help us decide what type of infection your system has :wink:

TeZG

Post by TeZG »

no one os using kaspersky internet security ?? ..

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Hey TeZG, welcome to the forum. Please take time out to read the rules. As you can see from the thread it died quite a while ago.

You could always introduce yourself as an ice breaker!

Enjoy your stay! :)

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

I am using Kaspersky Internet Security, imo the best app of its kind....BUT only version 6 or 7 (support for 6 has ended afaik, so version 7 is the one).

I had version 6 and after the 1 year subscription timed out (and a new XP setup) I decided to try the latest version (KIS 2009)....all fine, except the firewall! compared to version 7 the new firewall suck because there is no "training mode" anymore and the general config is simply stupid....I mean, the old firewall can be configured as it should be: you can set the protocol, port, IP, etc....the new one is totally complicated and unlogic, try to block Photoshop for example from phoning home and you end up with a startup error for the complete program, seems KIS2009 is not able to differentiate between outgoing and localhost connections sometimes.... *screwy*

ok, now this post was really offtopic, but I had to rant a bit... :lol:

everything else I wanted to say can be found in computathug's post.. :)