computer is locked down

Problems? Post here...
Still_Learning
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

computer is locked down

Post by Still_Learning »

ok simple windows question probuly..

at my new job the computer is locked down, there is only two programs on the desktop i can use, which are both work related programs. when i clicked the start button there is nothing at all, except the power off icon, i hit control-alt-delete and seen a few weird processes but only looked at it for like 2 seconds because didnt want to get in trouble. i guess the question is how do they lock it down like that? There is a row of about 10 cubicles all workstations and im guessing the pc at the end of the row, where the shift leader/manager sits or the business owners office has the server box.. how do they lock it down like that with active directorys? i guess i could always take a picture of the process tab with my camera phone. not trying to hack it or anything just curious/interested in how it works. thanks
Gone

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Are they running your cubical as a dumb terminal? Some computers are just a monitor and a keyboard. This may be what you are on. Its a station with no computer, just a wire / wireless connection to a server.

If not, I am not the least bit surprised that the computer you are on is locked down so tightly. There are many ways to set windows to allow or not allow users to operate any process in question.

If you want to test the computers security make sure you don't get fired first. Also let us know what you can do / not do, so us nerdy types can have some entertainment. I often like to practice at a library or university. They also lock down the computers quite well.

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

floodhound2 wrote:Are they running your cubical as a dumb terminal? Some computers are just a monitor and a keyboard. This may be what you are on. Its a station with no computer, just a wire / wireless connection to a server.

If not, I am not the least bit surprised that the computer you are on is locked down so tightly. There are many ways to set windows to allow or not allow users to operate any process in question.

If you want to test the computers security make sure you don't get fired first. Also let us know what you can do / not do, so us nerdy types can have some entertainment. I often like to practice at a library or university. They also lock down the computers quite well.
No theres a box hooked up to it, its just locked down hardcore, i know i could get into it with a live linux boot disk or USB flash drive and such, but theres always someone standing over your shoulder and its call after call after call, i maybe lucky to get 1 minute between a call to look around the desktop a little, but then dont want to do to much because they know my background with computers from my resume and may want me to build a website for their company. I think the pc maybe running some kind of remote program as well so the owner can see our screens at all times or make sure we are all working. There are about 12 employees at the location i work at, and the owner of the business is often there in his office. I think i remember one of the processes being LMIguardian I checked it out and that is a LogMeIn remote program.

Like i said though, i dont plan on doing anything illegal or malicious, its just curiosity of how the system works. The only thing i may do is cut this plastic thing holding all the cords together so i can move my keyboard closer to me on the desk, the keyboard is like pressed all the way back to the cubile wall and monitor and its uncomportable to type. Since today was my first day of work i did not want to move anything around just yet.
Gone

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Congrats on your new job. Since you said you have a box attached to the monitor and keyboard its not a dummy terminal, but more of a stripped down version I guess. I agree that your PC is being monitored, my dad used to be a sales manager and monitoring phonecalls is acceptable. Today, companies and its managers monitor more than that - they can monitor your PC activity, your telephone, and even video cameras to watch your every move. Remember its their property and you are on their property, hence you _are_ their property. They can judge if you are a good worker based on how much computer activity you do, and how long you talk on the phone.
Don't cut that plastic thing, bring a sog tool and do it right, thats more impressive.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

DNR wrote:Congrats on your new job. Since you said you have a box attached to the monitor and keyboard its not a dummy terminal, but more of a stripped down version I guess. I agree that your PC is being monitored, my dad used to be a sales manager and monitoring phonecalls is acceptable. ...
DNR
I do believe that they have to inform you of aforementioned monitoring, if they do intend to monitor you - if they do not, they cannot use any of this against you in the court of law..can they? Unless, of course it`s something major like killing someone, but I don't suspect you would do such a thing in your place of employment.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Some court cases agree there should be some notice, but other courts have found acceptable reason enough that the person is on company property, using company equipment, getting paid on company time, it's an ownership issue, who owns the equipment? The company does, so they can do what ever. And yes they can turn it over to the police, its their records.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

I need to get a sog tool , looks very useful
Gone

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

Since my boss was thinking about hiring me to build a site, I showed him one of mine on his computer :wink:
Gone

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

It looks like, you have a windows server to monitor everyone....
how does it boot?
Do you see any sort of thinclient software? Sometimes they use third party thin client softwares, its visible after the POST,

Many people are not aware, what you are saying is possible for any windows box(probably NT based)
The stuff you see is all about system policies
1.There are Account policies, which contain password policies and account lockout policies, pretty much self explanatory
2.Then there are local policies, containing Audit policies, and user rights assignment, also it contains security stuff.
3.Public Keys policies- related to encryptionand stuff
4.Then there's Software restriction policy, the one you see, it has all the security levels, and rules, what software can be run and what can not be run and it will be implmented irrespective of your default access rights and these will override them.(In windows xp its not defined by default and you have to create them)
5.And lastly there's IP settings for your machine which contains basically network stuff.

you can find all this in control panel>administrative tools>local security policies.

I think windows server also has fancy tools for administering the policies on the nodes on its network..

All this along with other windows server tools makes it possible..
Now comes the best part.. you can easily pwn this system(the best thing about windows) if its not booted from server.. but i strongly discourage to try that and i m sure many people here know how to do it.

Anyway since i started reading books, the most interesting stuff had always been "out of scope of this book" and i had to research/find/learn the hard way, so i'll continue the tradition, rest of the stuff is "out of scope" of this post... :lol:

rhysh

Post by rhysh »

im good with stuff,ive dealt with it b4

tafe,the library,youth centre

start it up in sfae mode by pressing f8 at boot until it asks you what todo
select safe mode,and see if you can login as "administrator" without the qoutes

usually these restrictions are done by group policy settings and registry settings

what files can you run,the ones u want are

.com,.bat,.pif,.vbs,.exe, and other executables,but these are the main ones u want

cant run exe"s

maybe you can re enable it throught the bios settings

does anyone remember the thread i made titled "noob it guy gets owned" or something like that?

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

Looks like I was off.. today They opened a closet door in the building and i seen what looks to be a small server room where they set the auto dailer for the calls, big metal boxes on the wall, tons of cords, ect..

so looks like the computer i thought may have been the server is like the next step, it has very limited access but more then everyone elses, all of our desktops do not have any options except for 2 applications that we have to use for the job. They are always on i beleive 24/7. There are no icons in the taskbar except for a small black square with a bouncing green light when you hover the mouse over it, it says "remote viewing, logger, spy thingy, whatver" i beleive its the LMIguardian process from LogMeIn so they have to be useing one of these products

Code: Select all

https://secure.logmein.com/productcomparison.asp

If i accidently stepped on the power cord under the desk and unplugged it, then have my supervisor boot the machine back up for me when its plugged back in, there maybe something cool to see.

The application we use is a DOS app, tab does not work have to use up and down arrow keys, and there also looks like a intresting FTP tab in the software :-k

I also think the managers did not put passwords on all of our logins to the software because they manipulate the stats, or give themselfs the sales of the people who quit or get fired. That also makes sense as to why they fire and hire 2 or 3 people everyday.

edit:: i beleive all the computers use a proxy also, their IP traces to another state.
Gone

rhysh

Post by rhysh »

so they are using domains or what,because we need to know if we are breaking into the computer your on or a server

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

:lol: I dont know what they are useing thats what im trying to find out. I have never visited any website from my work pc, if you read what was written above, i cant, so get off my pc! [-X :P
Gone

rhysh

Post by rhysh »

sl i forgot bout this thread

are they running novel,pharos what

i do hapen to have a prog i made ages back thats for stealing passes on pharos syetms

and if i remember correctly

my first post here was bout hacked pharos accounts using that program