kde wont load [kubuntu]

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
skip
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

kde wont load [kubuntu]

Post by skip »

I think i have a problem with kde or xinitrc, I was using gnome then i decided to install fluxbox before i upgraded ubuntu to kubuntu and after upgrading from kubuntu intrepid to kubuntu jaunty alpha (8.10 to 9.04) i tried startx and an error of kde not found occurred.I change the content inside .xinitrc on /home/username/.xinitrc with "exec startkde", It got me in but theres something wrong with the desktop. It was all wallpaper, no taskbars, cant alt-f2, Theres a couple of programs that was running but i cant move them, no minimize, maxiimize and exit option on the programs. I tried some fix that i found on the net like dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg but nothin happens, It kicks me back to login screen everytime i try to log in and i cant login on tty with a normal mode i had to chose recovery mode just to get it in tty. Is there a way to look what the hell just happened? or a fix? :roll:
Image Image Image

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

It's all in your log files, why not post them? It would help us better diagnose your problem. Also, don't just go blindly following tutorials on the internet, you first must diagnose the problem before you attempt to fix it - not all problems are alike, thus not all solutions are alike. Start with posting your log files, use the suck-o pastbin; then, we can go from there.

skip

Post by skip »

There are at least 158 items on the logs folder (15 folders and, 143 files). From acpid, bootstrap, daemon to Xorg.failsafe.log. I posted the kernel and syslog on pastebin. here

http://code.suck-o.com/126
http://code.suck-o.com/125

I think the maximum lines are less than 700 because some of the logs are not pasted. Thanks.

(I'm getting dizzy looking at those logs)
Image Image Image

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

Code: Select all

kubuntu kdm_greet[20396]: Cannot open default user face
kubuntu console-kit-daemon[5273]: WARNING: Unable to activate console: No such device or address 
k, that's where it fails, what g-card (manufacturer and model) are you using? I've seen a "radeon" message, but just to make sure...

skip

Post by skip »

I had to repost it and delete the old one instead of replying to my own message, just like a bump.

Yes its ATI radeon 9550, but back then when I'm still on Nvidia it still wont load. Anyways I'm using radeon now. Thanks. and what are the remedies to fix it?

I have updated and upgraded the system and its still the same. I tried googling it but no luck looking for a fix. Anyone? Thanks
Image Image Image

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, the reason is kinda unknown, I found posts from a lot of people with the same problem, some say it's a bug in KDE, some say it's the xserver itself, and others say it the whole release which is buggy.

I would try to reinstall the whole KDE desktop, that way you will get clean config files again.
to remove it:

apt-get --purge remove kubuntu-desktop
make sure to use the --purge switch, it removes all config files too that way.
then install it again:

apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
I hope this fixes it... :-k

skip

Post by skip »

I tried that and after logging in all i got was mouse cursor and the wallpaper of kubuntu. Any ideas?
Image Image Image

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, boot into textmode, run:

dpkg -l kde*
it'll display a list of all KDE packages....what is the version of "kdebase-workspace" ? because it seems there is a bug in versions prior to 4:4.1.2-0ubuntu7 :-k

skip

Post by skip »

I dont know if i had kdebase-workspace coz i cant see all the messages after the command, so i did

dpkg -l kdebase-workspace
and this came out

Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
|  Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name          Version       Description
+++-==============-============-===========
pn  kdebase-worksp <none>  (no description available)
Should i install kdebase-workspace?
Image Image Image

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

yeah, install it, because without it KDE can't work....in case it is already installed it'll skip the process anyway.... :wink:

so:

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get install kdebase-workspace
if you see something like 5 packages not installed (5 is just a random number in this example) after apt-get upgrade then additionally do:

apt-get dist-upgrade
:wink:

skip

Post by skip »

Did all you said and rebooted. There are only five windows on desktop; 3 arks(empty), pidgin and the progress dialog that keeps loading and loading. I've waited like 20-30 minutes for it to finish but it keeps loading so i shut it down. Theres no taskbar, i cant alt+f2 and no right click. Should i check the logs again, which one?

I'l try it again after this post.
Image Image Image

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, let's try it with a FULL new KDE re-install:

sudo apt-get --purge remove adept akregator amarok amarok-common amarok-engine-xine apport-qt ark dolphin dragonplayer exiv2 foomatic-db-gutenprint gdebi-kde gnupg-agent gtk-qt-engine guidance-power-manager gwenview hpijs-ppds hplip-gui ijsgutenprint imagemagick install-package jockey-kde k3b k3b-data kaddressbook kamera kate kde-icons-oxygen kde-printer-applet kde-window-manager kde-zeroconf kdebase-bin kdebase-data kdebase-plasma kdebase-runtime kdebase-runtime-bin-kde4 kdebase-runtime-data kdebase-runtime-data-common kdebase-workspace-bin kdebase-workspace-data kdebase-workspace-libs4+5 kdebluetooth kdegraphics-strigi-plugins kdelibs-bin kdelibs-data kdelibs4c2a kdelibs5 kdelibs5-data kdemultimedia-kio-plugins kdepasswd kdepim-kresources kdepim-strigi-plugins kdepim-wizards kdepimlibs-data kdepimlibs5 kdeplasma-addons kdeplasma-addons-data kdeplasma-addons-libs4 kdesudo kdm kfind kgrubeditor khelpcenter4 klipper kmag kmail kmix kmousetool knotes konqueror konqueror-nsplugins konqueror-plugin-searchbar konsole kontact konversation kopete korganizer krdc krfb ksnapshot ksysguard ksysguardd ksystemlog ktimetracker ktorrent kubuntu-artwork-usplash kubuntu-default-settings kubuntu-desktop kubuntu-docs kubuntu-konqueror-shortcuts kuser kvkbd kwalletmanager language-selector-qt libakonadiprivate1 libarts1c2a libartsc0 libaudio2 libavahi-qt3-1 libcapseo0 libcaptury0 libclucene0ldbl libdbus-1-qt3 libdbus-qt-1-1c2 libexiv2-4 libfftw3-3 libflac++6 libgeoip1 libifp4 libk3b3 libkcddb4 libkdecorations4 libkdepim4 libkholidays4 libkipi-common libkipi5 libkleo4 libkonq5 libkonq5-templates libkpgp4 libksieve4 libkwineffects1 liblua50 liblualib50 libmimelib4 libmodplug0c2 libmpcdec3 libmysqlclient15off libnjb5 libofa0 libokularcore1 libphonon4 libplasma2 libpoppler-qt4-3 libpq5 libqca2 libqca2-plugin-ossl libqimageblitz4 libqt3-mt libqt4-assistant libqt4-core libqt4-dbus libqt4-designer libqt4-help libqt4-network libqt4-opengl libqt4-qt3support libqt4-script libqt4-sql libqt4-sql-mysql libqt4-svg libqt4-test libqt4-webkit libqt4-xml libqt4-xmlpatterns libqtcore4 libqtgui4 libraptor1 librasqal0 librdf0 libruby1.8 libsearchclient0 libsoprano4 libstreamanalyzer0 libstreams0 libstrigihtmlgui0 libstrigiqtdbusclient0 libtunepimp5 libvncserver0 libxcb-shape0 libxcb-shm0 libxcb-xv0 libxine1 libxine1-bin libxine1-console libxine1-misc-plugins libxine1-x libxvmc1 libzip1 mediamanager mysql-common network-manager-kde okular okular-extra-backends openoffice.org-kde openoffice.org-style-crystal oxygen-cursor-theme phonon phonon-backend-gstreamer phonon-backend-xine pinentry-gtk2 pinentry-qt4 plasmoid-quickaccess python-kde4 python-qt3 python-qt4 python-qt4-common python-qt4-dbus python-reportlab python-sip4 qt4-qtconfig raptor-utils redland-utils ruby ruby1.8 software-properties-kde soprano-daemon speedcrunch strigi-client strigi-daemon system-config-printer-kde systemsettings ttf-dustin update-manager-kde update-notifier-kde
all in one line....

when done re-install it:

it MUST work then... :-k

skip

Post by skip »

bad_brain wrote:

sudo apt-get --purge remove adept akregator amarok amarok-common amarok-engine-xine apport-qt ark dolphin dragonplayer exiv2 foomatic-db-gutenprint gdebi-kde ................
all in one line....

when done re-install it:

it MUST work then... :-k
Took me hours to copy it on a paper and put/type it on the terminal, then i failed. The letters gets likethiswithoutspacing and sometimes it just removes some words and attach another word to it like guidance-er-applet (guidance-power-manager and kde-printer-applet) thats why it cant continue coz it says cant find package. I want to edit the command but the blinking cursor keeps running on the same line every time i hit the left arrow as many times as i ccan so i dont know which word im at. Umm, is there any other command shorter than that? Is it ok if i remove it one by one or not a good idea?

I'm a little dizzy with over 200+ words on just one command. :-88
Image Image Image

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

of course you can remove them one by one or 10 at once...doesn't matter, I only thought it's more comfy to post it as 1 command... :wink:

skip

Post by skip »

After removing all of them and reinstalling kubuntu-desktop, I still got the same results. :roll:
skip wrote:There are only five windows on desktop; 3 arks(empty), pidgin and the progress dialog that keeps loading and loading. I've waited like 20-30 minutes for it to finish but it keeps loading so i shut it down. Theres no taskbar, i cant alt+f2 and no right click.
Image Image Image