Copyrights

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
visser
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Copyrights

Post by visser »

So I have a cell phone and generally give my number out to anybody i can. im always trying to get my name out in one way or another lol so the other day i get a call. Its of course a friend of a friend. Well this dude has a blog. Its a semi popular blog and he really puts a lot of time in to this blog. the thing that happened is somebody is copy and pasting all of his crap in to another blog. The original writer of these blogs called me up thinking that his crap had been hacked and all of this other crazy stuff that he was freaking out about. So the thing I would like to know is waht do you we have against this copyright-jerk? is there anything we can really do to get rid of this problem of copy and paste? lol

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Give it away via the WWW

Post by DNR »

not really. Anything posted on the internet has little or no rights associated with it. When people post to the internet to show their ideas, lines of code, music or pictures, they expect many people will see it. Thats the whole idea of posting to the internet.
How people will react or take your ideas or code - is not in your control. Just the idea behind how the World Wide Web works, it does not compute ownership as we perceive it now.
The battlecry "Give it Away" means posting everything on the internet and making it free for anyone to study, hence Knowledge becomes free.

If you don't want your ideas or music posted, you keep it away from others. Thats why they call it "Secret".

---------

You can do the usual "order to cease and desist" lawyer-like or ignore it.
But whadiya gonna do huh! *screwy*
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

Well, I bet you the cease and desist, professionally written. will make him stop. Chances are, it`s a teenager trying to make cash off adsense - something like that would give him a little scare, enough for him to probably remove the blog. It`s worth a shot. Perhaps write a letter to the hosting company and lodge a formal complaint. You can reserve rights on your content, but other than sueing him, which is an expense, there is probably not much else you can do other than what DNR suggested..or the aforementioned letter to the hosting company.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

cease and desist template

Post by DNR »

Your Letterhead

Dear [name of infringer]

It has come to my attention that you have made an unauthorized use of my copyrighted work entitled [name of work] (the "Work") in the preparation of a work derived therefrom. I have reserved all rights in the Work, which was first published in 1999 on http://www.mycompany'swebsite.com, and I have registered the copyright.

Your work entitled [name of infringing work] and which appears on your web site at http://www.yourinfringing.com, is essentially identical to the Work and clearly used the Work as its basis. [Give few examples that illustrate direct copying and/or unfair use.]

You neither asked for nor received permission to use the Work as the basis for [name of infringing work] nor to make or distribute copies of it. Therefore, I believe you have willfully infringed my rights under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (the text of which can be found at the U.S. Copyright Office Web Site, http://www.copyright.gov) specifically 17 USC Section 101, et seq. and YOU could be liable for statutory damages as high as $100,000.

I demand that you immediately cease the use and distribution of all infringing works derived from the Work, and all copies of it, and that you deliver to me all unused, undistributed copies of it, or destroy such copies immediately, and that you desist from this or any other infringement of my rights in the future. If I have not received an affirmative response from you by [date] indicating that you have fully complied with these requirements, I shall consider taking the full legal remedies available to rectify this situation.

Do It Bitch!,

(Your Name)

* note change the last line to "Sincerely" not Do it bitch! sorry!
---

also try:

Chilling Effects Clearinghouse > Report Sending a Cease & Desist Notice:
http://www.chillingeffects.org/sending.cgi

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

visser

Post by visser »

Damn suck-o never ceases to amaze me in its perfection lol

I will look into all of that. But this bring up another question tho.... Take for example if i were to set up a website with all of my own stuff on it. What about the original pictures that i take... I am in a competition to build a website and we were reauired to provide permission of use of the picture or take our own pictures. So considering that why do they have that rule if there is really no way to back it up... I mean some punk can hop on and take all my crap so why cant i do the same?

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

This is why the O.G.'s of the web try to teach ETHICS to the young'uns.
We try to simulate individual creativity - so others will build their own websites and not copy someone elses. It is hard to write tutorials sometimes because we might use parts of someone else's website or document. You should read this link, everything is protected by the US Copyright Act, this includes the internet.

http://www.photolaw.net/faq.html
Essentially, all original works can be copyrighted. This includes photographs, art works, sculpture, writings, music and computer software. Virtually all works created or first published after January 1, 1978 are protected by copyright. Many works created prior to 1978 are also protected.

The Copyright Act is federal law, not state law. Consequently, the law is uniform throughout the United States. Also, since the United States has signed several international copyright agreements, copyright protection is effective essentially all over the world.

Generally, owners of copyright have the exclusive right to use and copy their works. Copyright owners can also authorize others to use their works. The use or copying of any work without permission from the owner of the copyright is a violation of the United States Copyright Act.
NOTE: the agreement only extends to those countries that agree to comply! Move your server to a country that does not parcipate in the Copyright agreement - then its rules do not apply there. This is why China initially let black market software and music/movie copying go rampant - they were not a part of the agreement. This is why US courts can't prosecute or give orders to a non-compliant country.

This Copyright Law has the same intent of teaching ethics - you should respect other people's work. Ideas are not copyright, but original works such as writings, pictures, and software can be protected.

EOF

DNR
-

visser

Post by visser »

O MAH GOAD THATS AWESOME! lol move it to another server! thats like a total DNR move if i have ever heard one :lol: awesome ideas there dnr. thanks so much for the suggestions, you really helped a lot

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

Why not add some code to his blog so people cant not copy and paste it, or right click on the page and such.. make it almost impossible to copy. I doubt they people is going to actully type everything out themself. They are just looking for as much content as they can get for your site ussually right click copy article, paste to theirs, with the code they can not right click and copy it.
Gone

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

S_L, you can make it a PDF document and lock it from copy and paste - making it harder to copy. You can watermark your images. You can also use a webbug or have your images on your server - if someone copy and pasted the docu/image - you will see your weblog telling you who and where it is being accessed.

I also do searches every year with my name or keywords - you might find your "RFI Tutorial By ME" spidered.

Visser - thanks - so you want to move your webserver to a country that upholds the US Copyright Act - OR move it to a country that DOESNOT follow the copyright act if you intend to break those laws :wink:

DNR
-