Can i use an ordinary cam for?

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
skip
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Can i use an ordinary cam for?

Post by skip »

Home surveillance? I have a usb creative cam. I just want to know if its possible to use it as a home surveillance camera? I was thinking that maybe i could use it as a home surveillance DIY cam but i dont have any idea how to set it up like programs that should use to record 24/7 and so on or do i need some electronic gadget attached for a better resolution? and how about the audio, is it necessary? :roll:
Image Image Image

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Well a while ago I did something like this. I placed a web cam in my office and wrote a program that sent a picture every 30 sec to my web site. I created a web page that I could watch at work. It could have sent a pic every sec but my bandwidth would have reached limits. I even went as far as putting the camera on a servo and integrated a microprocessor that communicated to the PC via USB. This allowed me to pan from left to right.

So yea it doable! I used Visual basic and If you need some code I can send it here. Also I think I used coffee cup for the web page, but any thing would work.

skip

Post by skip »

That is pretty much advanced i think. My idea was only to set it up locally, so basically it will just record all the images to my harddrive. So i was thinking that its possible to lessen the file size of the frames that will save on my drive?

Sure i could try that, and yes please post the code. Thanks for the reply.
Image Image Image

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

I have some software for this but its not here, its with all the rest of my things at the other house but i will look for it for you for later. If i forget as i am quite busy at the mo just send me a pm to remind me and il upload it and post it here. The software if i remember correctly enables you to run your camera locally for surveillance. It also has motion detectors etc etc.

good luck :wink:

rhysh

Post by rhysh »

hey bb,ty for that link

i needed something like this for when i sneak out.and my parents are up

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

rhysh wrote:hey bb,ty for that link

i needed something like this for when i sneak out.and my parents are up
:lol: why? seriously do you put the camera in your room to see if they walk in and your busted for sneaking out? because their would be no point to that since you would allready be busted.. or put it in the hallway to see if they are walking towards your room? how does this work.. you carry a laptop when you sneak out to check on your parents? sorry im just curious as to how this works.. i used to sneak out of the house and got busted because my screen on the windows was bent from taking it off and on the window all the time. I think once i got about 15 or 16 my parents stopped caring how late i stayed out as long as i called and let them know im ok.
Gone

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

spycam software

Post by DNR »

I have looked into several different spycam software. I think any decent hacker should have his house or computer room protected by a tattletail like a spycam. The evidence is even used by the police to catch baby-beating nannies and home invaders.
Your file size or compression scheme will depend on the software you choose. The best thing to do is just get motion sensing feature in your spycam ware, that way you only store files of activity, not long dead video of nothing happening. You also want to choose your spycam software that best serves you - sending email snapshots of activity, or just storing the file locally, encrypted and covert. Not all spycam ware offer all these features, some are too obvious, some are easily shutdown or manipulated - like snapshots being deleted by the intruder.

use the keywords "spycam software" in google and you'll have a wide range to pick from.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

skip

Post by skip »

Thanks for the link.Yes, i could try that one too, thug. I didnt have any idea that you could encrypt and covert the captured images. Thanks thanks. :D
Image Image Image