Quick Apache Question.

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Quick Apache Question.

Post by Big-E »

I am pretty busy right now and don't really have time to scrounge up information on the subject but I came across something that perplexes me.
How is the following possible?

The system has two Apache processes running, lets say one is binded to *.*.*.251:80 and the other *.*.*.250:80. However, there are no interfaces set up for those ip address on the system and the sites are entirely functional. Is it some sort of proxy setting, dns setting ..etc?

Any ideas? When I get some time later, I might look it up more and I will report back if I find anything.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, do a netstat -tlpn to check on what addresses Apache is listening and/or connected...it's possible those IPs are only used for internal connections used by other processes in context with Apache and Apache itself listens on all interfaces by using a wildcard in the <Listen> directive somewhere in the (virtual host) config... :-k

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

Yeah, I ran netstat -tpn | grep :80 and they are listening on both those IP's on port 80. They are set in the config files to listen on those address' , but what I am saying is that the IPs are not binded to any interface, such as eth0,1,2,..etc or any virtual interface.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, weird..is this box having a direct internet connection?
if yes: most likely a dynamic DNS thingy
if no: most likely a routed IP in the LAN

did a lookup of the IP already?