Open Source Lojack - Adeona

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Open Source Lojack - Adeona

Post by DNR »

This open source project uses OpenDHT to keep track of location, IP addresses, and local network topology to keep your laptop pinpointed. It is secured by a crypto process so the theif or sneak will not find it and use it against you.
Get it here:
http://adeona.cs.washington.edu/

Works for PDAs, Laptops, and most mobile devices(?)

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Nice find DNR. The only problem i can see with this is if you are using the laptop yourself for illegal activities like wardriving!

Other than that with it seams a good step to stopping theft and would like to see how this technology actually improves the chances of getting the stolen property back. Just like a car has a tracking device and can be removed wouldn't it be possible to remove the hdd and insert a new one so that the trace would be impossible. I haven't had time to look at this properly and maybe wrong. I think this would be more practical if they could build something like this into the bios. As most people are not that computer literate i bet most would not even consider looking at this but most would probably format the laptop at the first opportunity!

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

true you can reformat the HDD, but I would make sure my laptop case did not have the install disk and drivers.
Even basic software licensed to corporations can 'phone home' when the company laptop is booted up. Again this is still in the OS, not BIOs.
Maybe search for a bios lojack and let me know....how would that work.. :-k

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

str33tl0rd
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by str33tl0rd »

nice find dude.
A fools mind is at the mercy of his tongue and a wise mans tongue is under the control of his mind.~ Imam Ali (A.S)

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

DNR wrote: Maybe search for a bios lojack and let me know....how would that work.. :-k
Easy, companies like dell, asus and pheonix already have that covered with things like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Express_Gate

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

its owned by devicevm.com
here is a release about "Instant on" OS, linux in this case.
http://www.splashtop.com/press_releases ... .php?Id=32

DNR
-