Solar Panel discussion

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Solar Panel discussion

Post by n3rd »

by Still_learning :

Special request tut for Floodhoundz

"How to make solar panels" I would like to use more solar energy being im in FL, and Obama is for alternative energys. Catch the rays from my ceiling and bring them to some kind of box that saves the energy or something, while saving on my electric bill.. would like to make my house self sufficient and not have to pay any electricity bill if possible. I know it can be done
The cells are expensive from what I know
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

Still_Learning
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by Still_Learning »

Swan wrote: Also, a tutorial on how to mod the score system for Civ 4: Colonization?
humm.. I dont know if I want to play you in Civ anymore lol :D

yeah i am sure solar panels are expensive but they will make up for the money in the long run, i seen on woot.com today they have a solar panel for 100$ would a PC run on this? these woot specials are good only until midnight tonight..

Sunsei 18 Watt Solar Charger with Controller
$99.99

* + $5 shipping

Condition:
New
Products:
1 Sunsei SE-1200 18 Watt Solar Charger
1 Sunsei CC10000 10 Amp Charge Controller

Warranty: 10 Year Warranty on Solar Panel; 2 Year Warranty on Charge Controller

Features:

* Immediate battery charging when exposed to sunlight, even on cloudy days
* Connect to a battery array and charge multiple batteries at once
* Plug and play connections for instant expansion
* Daisy chain up to 8 solar panels; enough to power a small cabin
* Alternative to gas powered electrical generators
* Great for use with RVs, Boats, or where there is no electricity
* Touch indicator tells you that the panel is working
* Weather proof and mountable
* Charge Controller prevents battery overcharging

Solar Charger 1200 Features:

* Provides immediate charge when exposed to daylight, even on cloudy days
* Engineered to charge 12V batteries, including automotive, deep cycle, traction, gel-cell and heavy-duty
* LED indicator lets you know the panel is charging
* Plug and Play for daisy chain connections, connect Multiple panels in seconds without tools or rewiring
* Power: 1200mA, 15V (18W)
* Dimensions: 39.4” x 13.8” x 1.2” (100 cm x 35.0 cm x 3.0 cm)
* Weight: 9.5 lbs (4.3 kg)

Approximate Battery Charging Times:
Hours in full sunlight for batteries 50% discharged

* U1 (40AH): 17 Hours
* Group 24 (80AH): 33 Hours
* Group 27 (100AH): 42 Hours
* Group 31 (120AH): 50 Hours
* 4-D (180AH): 75 Hours
* 8-D (220AH): 92 Hours
* Golf Cart (220AH): 92 Hours
* L-16 (400AH): 167 Hours

Charge Controller Features:

* Works with most types of batteries and solar panels
* Two stage charging, boost and float charge using pulse width modulation (PWM)
* Status LED, LED indicated that the battery is charging
* Reverse leakage protection
* Incorrect wiring protection, protects against reverse battery and solar panel wiring
* Terminal block, for sound and easy wire connections
* 98% efficiency at full current
* Ensures that batteries are always fully charged
* Maximizes the battery life, due to the charging method
* Limits high voltage, floats battery at a safe voltage when the battery is full
* Simple and rugged, streamlined design to ensure long-term reliability

Charge Controller Specifications:

* Nominal Voltage: 12 volts
* Array Voltage, Max (Voc): 30 volts
* Charging Current, Continuous (lp): 10 Amps
* Operating Voltage at Battery, Min Charging starts at: 7 Volts
* Current Consumption Quiescent (Night): 2 Minilamps
* Boost Charge Voltage (2 Hours) 14.5 Volts
* Float Charge Voltage: 13.7 Volts
* Regulation Accuracy: 0.150 Volts
* Voltage Drop, Array to Battery: <170 mV
* Operating Temperature Range: -40 to 50 C (-40 to 122 F)
* Dimensions: 2.2” x 2.8” x 1.1” (57mm x 60mm x 28mm)
* Weight: 0.26lb (0.12 kg)

In the box:

* Charge Controller CC-10000
* Solar Panel SE-1200
* Multi-purpose adapter set (cigarette lighter adapter – male and female, battery clamps, terminal ring connector and wire connector)
* Extension wire connector
* Set mounting screws
* Instruction manual
Gone

str33tl0rd

Post by str33tl0rd »

The solar panels i have seen around are those that are stuck on top of some road signs, i think they are the cheaps ones because those road signs don't need so much energy. But for a PC i think you would be gettin a very expensive one! And what i have heard from news is that you need a couple of them to actually get a few devices running.
A fools mind is at the mercy of his tongue and a wise mans tongue is under the control of his mind.~ Imam Ali (A.S)

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

For some reason they do not put solar panels on signs around here. Prob because they would get stolen as soon as they are put on since i live in a ghetto ass neighborhood.
Gone

LBG
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by LBG »

str33tl0rd wrote:The solar panels i have seen around are those that are stuck on top of some road signs, i think they are the cheaps ones because those road signs don't need so much energy. But for a PC i think you would be gettin a very expensive one! And what i have heard from news is that you need a couple of them to actually get a few devices running.
Wait, wait. I find this inherently amusing.
What kind of road signs are we talking about here, here?
Do you have pics of this???
No, not that I doubt you, I actually believe you. It's just... Well, I could do some things with those pics.... Submit to Fark or something...

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Well this is something that has been around for quite a few years now. We have them all down our motorways and other A roads throughout our country. I will for one gladly post apic of one of these in the next few days but until then here is something to read.

By the way, i live in the uk, and if you knew where i lived we are classed as one of the most deprived towns in the nation. People often go past things with out taking notice of there surroundings, take for granted what they see but don't notice whats to be seen.
Enjoy!

str33tl0rd

Post by str33tl0rd »

if you have seen something like this before:

or those other ones that say there is roadwork or some shit they use photo cells.
A fools mind is at the mercy of his tongue and a wise mans tongue is under the control of his mind.~ Imam Ali (A.S)

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

Thug, you live in a ghetto neighborhood too you said. So ship me the solar cell panels for really cheap / discounted price (since you can get them for free off of the signs) then i can daisy chain them together on top of my house :twisted: speed limit signs here are not electronic, just metal sheets with paint on them

and Mo if you want to build a easy website I would recommend getting Dreamweaver, or you can even get Microsoft word and save as a HTML page
Gone

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

unless you have many solar panels, you are actually running off of batteries. Solar panels are low watt, low amp, low volt - they are good for slowly recharging batteries, not powering anything on its own - unless you are talking about LEDs and street signs. Why didn't other countries just use reflective paint like we do - or do other countries drive with no headlights?

for C#, C-sharp
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa645596.aspx
http://www.csharp-station.com/Tutorial.aspx

----
Suggestion for the "Request a Tutorial" thread:

1. User submits a request for a tutorial
2. Tutorial writer posts his tutorial in the Tutorials and Stickies section, with a link left in the "Request for Tutorial" section.

Otherwise this thread is going to be a real mess in a couple of days..

yea, just being a dick, again.
:-s
DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

bad_brain wrote:hm, maybe it would be even better to start an extra "requests" board... :-k
What for? you dont need a whole board for that. No flooding here, if that is was you are refering too.

So if I had 1000 SQ feet of road sign panel from the UK that would not power the house? Running.. say A/C or Heater, PC, TV, Microwave or dishwasher, ect.. all at once after a day of chargeing?
Gone

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

solar power and batteries

Post by DNR »

*remind me to rename this thread "Solar panel discussion"

The solar panels trickles electricity - batteries store the trickle. I considered 8 of the panels that were mentioned above, and at best it was good for something like 140 watts. Appliances like AC, TV and your gaming PC suck the juice like a somali militiaman sucking water after a day of khat and pilliaging. It all depends on the batteries. Your TV likes 450watts, your game PC sucks it up at upto 650watts.. The power cannot be supported by solar panels alone, it needs batteries. Batteries filter power fluctuations, batteries provide peak power on demand. The battery is like a capacitor and a storage device. The reason solar power has not taken #1 in the energy standard is because of the expensive, toxic batteries and limited by how much watts batteries can provide for X amount of time. As battery tech improves, then solar power as a recharger makes more sense. You can buy a "green" laptop, install LED lighting, and do with a fan instead of AC..

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.