Attack of the Blu-Ray

...let us know what you think, free speech!
computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

The data would have still been on the hdd even though you had reformatted N3rd. I recovered all the files for someone who recently put the recovery disc in and lost all their daughters uni work. The data would have to be written over to make it unrecoverable.

Have you saved all the movies in the clients download folder and uninstalled the software and all the files have been removed?

F4LSE
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by F4LSE »

DNR wrote:you guys are crazy - I bet you have lost carkeys, pens, and tv remotes and just simply blamed it on microsoft. :lol:

I have always used ms products and I have never had files mysteriously disappear. You might actually do a move and not a copy, you might tell your computer not to reconise a file type, you might have clicked through some warning "All data in this partition will be lost, do you want to continue?"

There is always a reason something happened.

DNR
Yes there is usualy a reason for everything but in this case B_B and i just got to witness windows at its finest and deciding what it wants to keep and what it doesnt want to keep. Its no good dirty fun but im almost done getting them again so ill just put this experience behind me and pray to the windows gods that it doesnt happen again to something more important than movies :P

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

again, I have used windows since ms-dos and win 3.0.
Just don't blame it on windows, don't.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

DNR wrote:you guys are crazy - I bet you have lost carkeys, pens, and tv remotes and just simply blamed it on microsoft. :lol:
Your right.. I blame everything on microsoft. The economy, my dog shitting in the living room 2 days ago, I even told my teacher at school microsoft ate my homework yesturday :lol: I now have this 106 page book i have to read by next monday that he made titled "The computer and electricity"pretty soon i will be getting this electric board and get to soder cool stuff together in the computer lab, so if Floundhoundz still plans on making that Electronics 101 tutorial it would perfect timing for me, I maybe able to contribute something to the tutorial after reading this book
Gone

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Just a thought

Post by lilrofl »

I know you said a TB of data, which kinda excludes solid state drives, but I have had a similar experience when plugging in my external drive into a cross platform system. from XP Pro, to Mandriva and back. anyhow, on returning back to XP Pro, all my media files were just gone. I used a flash recovery program to recover them all, and it worked fine... So so so so soooooooooo long story short I think that your best bet is undelete software, however I believe the problem you'll run into is the size of the files... quite a frustrating undertaking I would think. I had only 200GB of data or so and I had to recover them in 2GB chunks due to RAM restrictions.

I never did find out what caused the problem originally, but it may have been
the way that Linux mounted the drive, or the way that XP mounts drives... more research may be needed. You didn't mention whether you used the external on more then one platform eiter so maybe it's not even relevent to your situation.

Cheers =)