[ Embrace the Suck ]

Our very own fight club!
DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

[ Embrace the Suck ]

Post by DNR »

Gather around children, let me tell you the story about "Embrace the Suck"

*opens non-fairy tale book and begins reading...

Quote:
Warrior slang, however, has a peculiar appeal and influence. That's understandable. Waging war is a risky, all-encompassing endeavor physically, emotionally, and psychologically. It displays humankind at its best and at its worst, and the warfighter's slang reflects the bitter, terrible, and inspiring all of it. A quick scan of terminology can illustrates the spectrum: disciplined bravado provides the glitz and glamour; earned camaraderie, the sincerity and warmth; irony, the realist's edge; scorn, the punishing barb; and insistent vulgarity, a rowdy, leveling earthiness.

*shows pop up diorama of battlefield to the children, and turns the page..

Quote:
Prussian General Carl von Clausewitz went to war when he was 12 years old. Over the last two decades, critics have argued that his treatise On War is a bit dated in terms of theory. However, everyone with military experience agrees that Clausewitz understood "the suck."

He called it "friction."

"Everything in war is very simple," Clausewitz wrote, "but the simplest thing is difficult. The difficulties accumulate and end by producing a kind of friction that is inconceivable unless one has experienced war."
DNR-
You don't have to always be in combat or war to understand this, this can just be a part of life, learning to cope with daily life. If you cannot embrace the suck - you cannot cope. On the battle field, that means you die. The battlefield is simply, life at its fullest potential.

"Embrace the suck" isn't merely a wisecrack; it has deep meaning to the wise, the experienced, the ones that actually applied it to their creedo.

"Embrace the suck": Translation: The situation is bad, but deal with it.

*turns story book around to the children, the pages are mirrored to reflect their own faces back at them..

*closes story book

If you don't want life to control how you feel or the kind of shit you get into - you have to embrace the suck- love it, kill it, and get over it. It takes LIFE EXPERIENCE to learn how to embrace the suck children. You cannot learn this from a book or a few tuts. You _can_ learn about it from your wise peers, those that have "Embraced the suck", they had it burned, tattooed, beaten, and shot into our minds. Only those that thought they had nothing left to give - they got up and went on.

End of Story! Join me next time for Learning for Newbies!
Remember! Embrace the Suck!

8)
DNR
Last edited by DNR on 01 Feb 2009, 23:35, edited 1 time in total.
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Still_Learning
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by Still_Learning »

*taking notes*

Did not know it was a real military expression

lesson learned :D
Gone

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

This was a pretty cool link if you want to bone up on slang - including mil slang. I did think it was a bit weak on the gang slang :lol: Gangbangin' was not complete - besides being a sex act, bangin' is also a crew working together in a criminal enterprise - i.e. slingin' dope, rollin' tourist, or shoplifting. Oh well..

http://www.slangsearch.com/index.html

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

Yeah there was some link I found that had all of the military slang, that is also a good link. As for the gang slang I dont need a book for that its all in my head allready :twisted: I grew up around alot of gangsters, goons / thugs and wanna be thugs and gangster, but never joined one because i always thought that it was for weak people that had to get a bunch of people to fight, in FL it is mostly Latin Kings, Folk Nation, a little Bloods and Crips but not really like the westcoast, MS-13, ect.. some little neighborhood gangs. I always prefered to fight one on one with no weapons just fists, but sometimes the other person your fighting wants to fight unfair and thats when its good to be considered FoF or "Friend of folk", ect.. also had a Latin Queen girlfiend for a minute, was kind of funny having my girl tell people to fuck off, but a ride or die chick, and they listen or fuck off, depends if it is called for or not .. I can make a 100 page report about this easy.. but having priv in certain situations gives you the advantage, esp when it is multi people vs multi people in a fight, does not matter what gang is fighting, this convo can go forever
Gone

jaggy1
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by jaggy1 »

:lol: :lol: Ok im a gabby one today! ( Told you I was catching up after months away!) but gotta say lots of young kids today expect things handed to them and like to whine " I had a crap childhood" - to that I say " GET OVER IT!!" I have a young daughter and we have been through some rough times but even she will tell you what our family motto - " We 2 girls will be alright!" It is what it is but you control where you go from the shit storm. Learn from it move on and never forget to reach out to someone in the same situation and offer the wisdom you learned just like someone shared with you when you were in need. :oops: i will stop there but i can get on my band wagon on this topic. :lol: