evidence eraser???

No explicit questions like "how do I hack xxx.com" please!
greenguyy2
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

evidence eraser???

Post by greenguyy2 »

hey any good evidence erasers to delete all tracks of what uve done

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

CCleaner, select all options

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

DNR wrote:CCleaner, select all options

DNR
I second that!

As a bonus its 'freeware' :wink:

greenguyy2
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by greenguyy2 »

could police still find a way to salvage data

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

yes

You still want to consider using
Kremlin by mach5 - it offers a wiping utility - to overwrite the 'unallocated file space' -released by 'deleteing' something and file slack.

It all depends what you did and how bad they want you - your ISP has lots of stuff on your surfing habits.

also in certain cases, encrypting your HDD only makes the police ask for your password - or they can give you 5 years just for not!

Paranoia is good.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Of course its possible for the police to get some info back even if its reformatted.

Maybe some things need to be encrypted but depending on what ya hiding from the police depends on whether you get help or not :?

OK DNR is a bit more kind hearted than me but you have so few posts please don't mind my skepticism but i maybe no angel myself but this leads me to what others are hiding. :roll:

Insection
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by Insection »

Always hide your ip, use secure proxy's.
I personally reboot my computer every 3 months, (set back to manufacturing state)

Who ever said you can't escape the law is correct.

Remember... How smart you might think you are, there is always a team of smarter people working for the FBI. -This saying could save your ass.

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Also using a proxy is not alway the safest way as they could always gee a court order to see the logs. I suggest anything that way too dangerous to be getting into deep water for should be done via war driving/ :wink:

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

DNR tips

1. your computer has a footprint, know it, change it often. This browser type, OS, version and serial, drivers, mobo config - a laptop fingerprint if you will. You can do like drug dealers do cellphones - swap them amoung each other, never get caught with 'the' laptop.
2. wardriving is the easy way to be anonymous.
3. Cable network hacking is elite. (more later)

The more laws you break, the more trouble you take to hide.
Remember, don't shit in your own backyard.

DNR
-

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

I say dont hide anything. You are what you are. Here I am.. A computer stupid ex-thug trying to learn computer programming. I am sure suck-o the government and other people have many ways to find out everything about you allready. So it is what it is. Their are many tracking techniques used. Just "Keep it Real" you should be allright as long as your thinking morally allright, why is it we have to sign in to the website just to view a forum post or use a capcha to sign in? IP tracking? I know it cant just be for protogenic charts :roll:
Gone

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Pink shoes ROCK

Post by lilrofl »

I did a bunch of research into data erasure and it's relevance today a while back and came to a couple of conclusions, the number of passes of either 0's 1's or pseudo-random data is listed at 1,3,4,7 or 35 depending. And the schools of thought are covered in a couple of documents like Peter Gutmanns and Bruce Schneiers. Most schools however agree that for today's media (over 15 gigs and manufactured after 2001) one pass of anything is as good as several, and subsequent passes offer no more security then the first.

SO, if you are talking HDD data cleaning, you have an answer. if you are talking web logs and the like, the answer become suitably more difficult and outside the scope of my expertise. If you really wanna be safe you could always store your CD's in a microwave, and put a few grams of thermite on the drive to be destroyed LOL, but the creation of thermite, while not outside the scope of expertise is well outside the scope of this post :D

Of course if you are talking about erasing your tracks WITHOUT loosing your data, like a clean install without the install... I think that has already been covered.