Basic linux shell questions

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
Still_Learning
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Basic linux shell questions

Post by Still_Learning »

Ok, So say I am stuck with linpus linux, I have O'reillys unix power tools book but that is like 1000 pages and dont have time to go into that right now. I know the basic linux stuff like how to navigate the file system and ect.. but need to know more to make this laptop work for me. What are some basic linux commands or info, like where are all the mains apps hosted at in the bin? etc? .. I would like to go online with my new laptop but do not have a fancy version of linux, and cant seem to install one yet
Gone

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

ah man, you got a shell!

[-X shoulda got windows 7

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

DNR wrote:ah man, you got a shell!

[-X shoulda got windows 7

DNR
:lol: it will not install , neither will XP and ubuntu. Something is wrong with this laptop, I am trying to get a refund as of now. BB said in the other thread that alot of other people were having simular problems with this laptop model.

I keep getting Stop errors as posted earlier (out of the box) testing a Live CD of Ubuntu will not even work, i tried 2 different ubuntu cd's. It is a Emachines E520

but in the meantime i may be able to learn some more basic linux commands, I am allready fluent with windows DOS command prompt.
Gone

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

take a look here: http://www.ss64.com/bash/

of course you don't need to know all commands, for the start focus on the basic ones that are used for file manipulation and navigation:
cat, mkdir, rm, chown, chmod, chgrp, cd, cp, and best get familiar to the vim editor. if you don't know how to use a command or want to check what options you have make use of the man pages, the syntax is simply man command...if you want to check the manual for the rm command for example it's:

Code: Select all

man rm
:wink:

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

Are you just trying to get it to install? When you tried to install XP (or Ubuntu) did you get an error something to effect of "No hard disc detected"? If so then that means that you need to slipstream the right SATA/RAID driver onto the install disc. Ubuntu should just install. The kernel supports SATA Hard Drives.

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

I found out it is because the laptop had AHCI set in the BIOS instead of IDE for the HD. So it gives you a BSOD when trying to install windows, the error I posted in the other thread is equal to the windows BSOD error.. Aparently alot of people have this problem with new laptops. Ubuntu Live CD gave me a fuzzy desktop when I tried it out, I will try again now that I have the correct drivers installed with XP. Bash shell is not for me yet, I have been useing DOS before Windows 95. Eventually I will try to learn it, but am concentrating my time learning other things right now that are required for school.

Allthough now my Western digital MyBook is not being recognized by the laptop.. alot of people have had this issue as well im looking into it. After hooking it up to my xbox 360 tonight to watch some movies it would not work. It maybe a SP3 issue with XP. I then went to my desktop to see if it would work and it detected it perfect, then It would work after replugging it back into my 360. So some kind of change happened after plugging the USB into my laptop that caused it to stop working, then after replugging into Win7 it must have put whatever temp files are needed or something for it to work again on my 360..

nice link BB thanks, i know about the man command i guess linpus linux is not for me :lol:
Gone