Has anyone tried MINT

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Has anyone tried MINT

Post by lilrofl »

So I was looking at Linux distros, and stumbled across Mint. Just wondering if anyone had any experiences with it as of yet. I use Mandriva currently, and have some experience with DSL.

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

I am not too sure about MINT as i havent tried it yet but as a unix user have you tried debian?

I am using lenny on one pc and etch on another and have had no problems with getting it run great on either machine :wink:

Each distro is for yo to look and check yourself, some you may like and others you may not. I tried Ubuntu not too long ago and hated it after 2 mins.....dont think it was much more than the desktop colour and yeah this could have been changd but to me first impressions last :D

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

I never used it, but it seems it's a very good distro especially for beginners and/or desktop users because of the pre-installed stuff like the codecs, the Java Environment and ndiswrapper. personally I'm a Debian-lover...and lately I'm having a little fun with DesktopBSD too.... :)

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

On suck-o, i think b_b has converted us all into Debian users, :lol:
We can call ourselves as supporters of Debian,

On the other hand linux is just linux it just comes in various flavors, all of them are based on same kernel, its just the applications which make them different.

I think the most important thing which affects me in linux distros is package management,

followed by ease of doing tasks, and stability.

And yes one of major differences being distro-specific customized UI.

If you want to find the right OS or distro for you, you should really worry about the compatibility with your hardware, or if you can afford, you should buy the hardware known to work on your favourite distro(As its a well known fact that support for latest hardware isnt one of the strengths of linux)

The choice solely depends upon your style, if you like playing with OS, you should chose a distro which requires lots of explicit configuration, or if you got a busy job like me, you should get a distro that doesnt require a lot of attention to configure, so that i can concentrate on more important things.

I configure all the servers by hand but i wouldnt really want to configure less importnat things like my xorg.conf with hand, though if there's a glitch then i want to be able to tweak the configuration file to customize it according to my needs, so thats my style of work.

So thats ease of doing tasks,

For stability, you can guess that i would want my systems to be very stable. Every one does, but its kinda critical for me, i wouldnt want to have a system with broken or unstable OS when i m working. So i just stick to whatever works for me.

I dont have any experience with MINT, but as you're exploring the new distros, why not try it yourself and tell us your views about it?
Who knows this could be a great distro, just waiting to get famous, or a piece of shit...
:lol:
P.S. i use UBUNTU, and i admin ubuntu, centos servers, and some customized distros i made from scratch(as per requirement)

Edit
Some of the reasons for the success of Linux Mint are:

* It's one of the most community driven distributions. You could literally post an idea in the forums today and see it implemented the week after in the "current" release. Of course this has pros and cons and compared to distributions with roadmaps, feature boards and fixed release cycles we miss a lot of structure and potentially a lot of quality, but it allows us to react quickly, implement more innovations and make the whole experience for us and for the users extremely exciting.
* It is a Debian-based distribution and as such it is very solid and it comes with one of the greatest package managers.
* It is compatible with and uses Ubuntu repositories. This gives Linux Mint users access to a huge collection of packages and software.
* It comes with a lot of desktop improvements which make it easier for the user to do common things.
* There is a strong focus on making things work out of the box (WiFi cards drivers in the file system, multimedia support, screen resolution, etc).
sounds like i can give it a try if someone recommends first.. :P

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

I'll be brave lol

Post by lilrofl »

Ok, I'll be brave, partitioning the hard drive for one more OS hehe... I'll let you know how it turns out =)

Of course after I download the ISO and... sigh* what for a faster internet connection lol...

More to follow after a test run

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Re: I'll be brave lol

Post by computathug »

lilrofl wrote:Ok, I'll be brave, partitioning the hard drive for one more OS hehe... I'll let you know how it turns out =)

Of course after I download the ISO and... sigh* what for a faster internet connection lol...

More to follow after a test run
Please do! It would also be nice if you could post some screen shots too :wink:

cheers :)