A little input about my project

All about creating websites!
uid0
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

A little input about my project

Post by uid0 »

Hello people :)

I have just finish developing my blog-like-platform, it's made, like many others, in php and uses mysql as storage backend.

I'm the only one who worked on this project so there's a chance that I miss something during development and testing phases.

If is not much to ask, I would like, to anyone who wants to take a little eye pick on the project to tell me what do you think and, most of all, if I was able to cover the things I uses as bases which are, accessibility and security.

One important thing, is a spanish site, but lot of things can be tested without worring about language.

Other thing, this is not my atempt to make publicity about a project I just published a few days ago, I just would like some input and help testing things, you're not require to visit if you don't want to but if this post is seen as a publicity atempt, feel free to delete it :)

Finally, about the code (because I'm sure someone will say that a little piece of code will be useful :P), there's an archive in the only post published so far in the site, however, most comments are in spanish as well, nonetheless, if you would like to download it feel free to do it there or you can tell me and I just upload it to rapidshare or something like it if you want to avoid visiting the site to get the archive.

The site is:

Code: Select all

www.nixlkp.co.cc
Thanks and best regards =)

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well done man, and very clean code, Tidy gave me no errors or warnings... =D>

the site itself looks clean too, maybe even a little too clean....so maybe a little eyecandy would be good, but that's a matter of personal taste.
one thing that I would do (if it would be my site) is to add borders to the other navigation categories on the left, like you did it with the "Búsqueda"-box (you maybe should decrease the width of the textfield there a little)...would add a little more structure to the site. and well, maybe a little mouse-over effect for the top navigation links, just a background color change (light-grey would be good imo), nothing with too much bling-bling.
but that are already all improvements I suggest... :)

uid0

Post by uid0 »

First of, thanks a lot for taking the time to check it bad_brain, really appreciated :D

About the clean code, I have to say that I use validators and several test with several tools (online and standalone) but I complety forgot about tidy :P so is very good to see that tidy approve the code :D

As far as looks, well, I'm a minimalistic kinda of guy, however, you're absolutely right by saying that maybe is too clean. Since I published I haven't being able to avoid that feeling that there's something missing in that desing, like you see it and feel a void somewhere so is something I need to get working on.

About the borders, the thing with the search form was that it uses fieldset so that's why that have borders and the others don't :P but indeed, adding borders to the others will be a nice touch, and decreasing the text field, not a problem, thanks ;)

About mouse-over effect over links, you're right again, I just added the underline to tell users that it is a link but as I have seen (and same have you) it isn't enough, there should be not only a nice effect but something that is more helpful to tell users that they're pointing over links

About structure, indeed, needs improvement, that's something that I'll be trying to set better over the time (not like over the next 5 years or so though :P)

Well mate, thanks a lot, I mean it, I hoped this little request wouldn't be seen as publicity or anything, I just want a little input about what can be improved, and if someone found a security problem I would like to see that first here than somewhere else :P

So again, thank you very much for the input bad_brain, I going to be working on that ;)