How do I pimp my Gnome desktop out?.. questions

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
Still_Learning
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

How do I pimp my Gnome desktop out?.. questions

Post by Still_Learning »

I am currently running Gnome / desktop with Ubuntu..

What is the best Virtual machine software to use with it?

How do I change the look of the taskbar, diffrent pictures for the folders and such, add cool sidebar type gadgets..

and anything else you know of to customize it for eye candy, thanks

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Wrong section, read board description before you post.

Moved to Linux section
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

I thought I did post it in the Linux section, I apologize if I did'nt. So now on to the answer of the question(s).... I allready have the cube, i want to customize the taskbar and add gagets on the side like RAM monitoring or LAN monitoring, ect..

Please remember I am a Linux noobie
Last edited by Still_Learning on 19 Feb 2009, 12:58, edited 1 time in total.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Sorry for not answering the question ^^ was in class

For all your gnome needs ;)

Code: Select all

http://gnome-looks.org
There's a lot of nice monitors out there, but I advice you to start playing around with Screenlets and Desklets, since usually there is more work done on them.

Also, for a cool Mac OSX like bar, you can google for Avant Window Manager :)

PS: To add gadgets, you can just right click a panel and "add to panel", you can google for more panel gadgets.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

Nice link, thanks I like the mac OS taskbar look

7A69
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by 7A69 »

I have modified my gnome with Futurelooks2.0 and I think it gives you quite nice look pretty easily and you don't even need to know anything about linux to be able to install it.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=806135
Just download the package and you will find the instructions inside of it.

I know this is not post your desktop thread but I think mine is pretty good example since it has awm included and I have done nothing but installed things from futurelooks to it.

http://xs536.xs.to/xs536/09084/muokssittu198.jpg

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

Thanks, futurelooks is pretty nice so far

the only thing is i went overboard on installing new stuff i think , and installed gaurddog firewall then my cabled ethernet stopped working, then i sudo uninstalled it and it still does not let me get online , i know how to fix all this with windows but am lost on what the equivilent of a ipconfig /release /renew would be or how to check if the drivers are working correctly and such.. ive been playing around in admin > network and admin >network tools with no luck

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

hey SL, start a shell ass root and then type guarddog, this should start the app as root user. Next you need to configure guarddog to open ports that you need. there is local and internet down one side and the protocol down the other if i remember correctly...sorry had a beer and need sleep.

Google guarddog tut and you should get the basic idea. Once you get a bit more used to the protocol try using iptables. Cats has done a basic tut, just look for it, if i remember its stickied.

Any problems just post and we can help you through it!

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

Thanks man!

Yeah I just reformatted and it works great now.. but for future reference it would be nice to know how to configure drivers in Ubuntu and how to do basic network stuff like compared to windows ipconfig /release /renew, ect.. I am not familuiar with the linux command atmosphere. Thanks for your help though man, peace! :-)

**edit: Ubuntu cube is the shiznit, but i never remember the sudo command ... sudo apt-get install compiz-advance-manager? lol is there a place you can get all the sudo commands for the softwares? besides synaptic repositories.. also what is up with the games? They all seem to suck, but cant comaplian because it is freeware, let me know what is the best ubuntu stuff out and why it is better then windows

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

sorry dont use ubuntu and yeah its debian based but as i have never used it apart from for 10 mins i am in no real position to comment.

If you want to use windows apps with ubuntu look at using wine.

Eventually you get to a stage where reformatting is out of the question as to fix it is more of a challenge. Format was always the windows easy way out too. Ok when your system has been compromised it is always better to either run from a back up or format to be on the safe side but you learn more fixing things rather than starting again :wink:

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

Yeah, I wish someone would have helped me with it before i formatted.. buts its all good because I dont depend on anyone except for myself. In case this happens for a 2nd time what would you recommend for a fix? I AM a Windows master.. anything with windows I got it, but am trying to learn Linux, so installed Ubuntu.. if you can help a brother out then hook it up! :-) I always share as well.. you need anything then hollah at me (even if its a PM), allright peace!

skip

Post by skip »

not much of a help but try sudo bash, its like su. it will give you root permission on shell. its kinda annoying to type sudo everytime i update, upgrade and dist-upgrade thats why i use sudo bash. then exit. its actually fun messing around with the system then fixing it. and dont sudo wine. :lol:

i use kubuntu btw. goodluck man :D
Image Image Image