networking with laptops

Problems? Post here...
moudy
Technology Enthusiast
Technology Enthusiast

networking with laptops

Post by moudy »

Hello every one
I was wondering if its possible to connect two (or more) laptops together, via wifi ???
there is this network game that we want to play over a network, but im not sure how to connect all the laptops. I need some technical help here...
mahmoud_shihab@hotmail.com

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

yea, you want to set up an ad-hoc wifi network - basically peer-to-peer network. I assume you have windows, and the network connection wizard can help you set this up. Now, beaware that this is not the same as a server-hosted gaming software - your game will have to be programmed to work via this peer-to-peer setup - otherwise you need a router and a server.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

moudy
Technology Enthusiast
Technology Enthusiast

Post by moudy »

Okay, i figured out how to make an ad-hoc network, but i have a lot of questions:
1- can this network be removed ?
2- is it only two devices that can be connected together? or can it allow more that 2 ?
3- DNR, you said some thing like I have to modify the settings in the game so I can connect to another computer..n can u please give me an example.
By the way the game that i want to play is counter strike portable version... just in case you can help me more in connecting this game :D

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

1- can this network be removed ?
Yes, any network you create in network connections can be disabled, deleted, or changed.

2- is it only two devices that can be connected together? or can it allow more that 2 ?

Well - it depends on the game software - how do you tell the computer player #3 wants to move, while player #2 is moving, etc. That is why games online are controlled by a server - the server runs the game regardless of what the other computers are doing, and selects which computer moves, etc. Most peer-to-peer/head-to-head games are limited to two computers.

3- DNR, you said some thing like I have to modify the settings in the game so I can connect to another computer..n can u please give me an example.
By the way the game that i want to play is counter strike portable version..

Ok, this is where it gets fuzzy for me - I don't have CS portable - so I don't have access to the game manual. I assume like other games it gives you a menu to select, single user, peer-to-peer, or Network. If you have single user and network as only choices, try selecting Network.

Good luck, maybe you can write a tutorial on how you set up two computers to play CS :wink:

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

moudy
Technology Enthusiast
Technology Enthusiast

Post by moudy »

DNR wrote: Good luck, maybe you can write a tutorial on how you set up two computers to play CS :wink:
DNR
hehe yeah sure DNR, ill write down a tut with all the info, if this thing works :P
thanks a lot for the info

moudy
Technology Enthusiast
Technology Enthusiast

Post by moudy »

hey DNR i wanted to tell you that the game functioned normally, and several devices were connected to the network.... :D

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

awesome - have fun playing CS :wink:

DNR
-