Why is Windows evil?

Problems? Post here...
einax17
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Why is Windows evil?

Post by einax17 »

I know Windows isn't as great as Linux or Macintosh (Or is it?). But why does everyone says its evil?

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Depends on who you ask I guess. My roomie for example, loves Windows, and isn't very interested in Linux. I would say Windows is evil because of many reasons, some of these being

1: it costs a lot of money
2: It's a very inefficient system (imo)
3: Microsoft like to destroy their competitors

blablabla etc
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Not to Regurgitate

Post by lilrofl »

That's an awesome question, and I think one that is vailed in opinions and rhetoric... but there is some truth to it I suppose.

Microsoft has participated in some very questionable business practices over it's life time most of which can be googled. I think a better phrasing is why do "you" think that Windows is evil... which I do, but that's not really the point.

When I was a kid this law came out that said you had to wear a helmet when riding a bike... I was flabbergasted!!! What the hell business was it of the government to tell me I had to wear a helmet. Lets look at some facts, wearing a helmet while riding a bike is safer, it cuts down on traumatic brain injury from bike accidents, and lowers the cost of care required to take care of freak head injuries caused by riding bikes without helmets.

But I, being a rational human being should be able to make my own decisions concerning the risk of riding a bike with or without a helmet, and mitigate it myself if I decide that the risk is high enough.... I feel anyways.

Microsoft is like the government in this scenario, they make unilateral decisions concerning the computing habits of all computer users based on a template of what they think is in the best interest of the people.

How is this different from any other business you might ask, well it''s not really, however because Microsoft controls a large percent of the global computing market, their decisions are far reaching, and always to their benefit. From software activation to DRM servers to UAC, windows makes life "safer" for the average user, at the cost of usability for the above average user. If you have no idea what computer security is about, UAC is a good thing, however if you understand a little better then the masses, and are able to make your own decisions, then UAC is just annoying, intentionally annoying... I feel anyhow.

I use Windows XP to play games on, because it's good for that, which is more then I can say for OS X. If there is one thing I hate more then Windows, it's Mac... and before I get all caught up in a tangent I feel it is worth saying that Windows Vista has consistently outscored OS X in security exploits discovered to patch date, meaning that Microsoft is far faster in addressing security holes then Apple is, you can argue that it's because Windows has more holes... but that's no excuse for Apples procrastination.

So maybe EVIL is not the right way to describe my feelings toward Windows, maybe it's that I am a grown man and have been computing for some time now, and feel confident that I can make my own decisions concerning whether or not I really want to run whatever program I just got done double clicking, or whether I'm sure I want Firefox as my "default" browser... but that's a little harder to write then Windows is EVIL.

=)

einax17
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by einax17 »

cats:
1. I (removed for your safety -Gogeta70) and it lets me update (XP) :/
2. Uh yea, Maybe, but its still cool
3. Hmm? Really? How? :/

Are you TRYING to get in trouble? Seriously. Think before you type.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

I still say microsoft was partly responsible for getting the world on to computers. If it wasn't for them dumbing down computers, we might still be burying ourselves in paperwork.
Why blame the business competition? Who would not want to make $450 billion dollars creating and selling software?

It just sounds like penis envy when people complain. Why not just let the nux software speak for itself, on its usability in society.

Leave Bill Gates Alone Now!
:lol:
DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

I believe in general the main reason windows is looked down upon (especially in our niche in the computer world) is proprietary software. As coders we may have a specific way we like to accomplish a task or others may simply interested in efficient code. We eschew choices being made for us. If a problem arises in proprietary software you cannot do anything until the author or company releases a new version and hopefully fixes the problem (this isn't quite true; you could reverse engineer the code, but that requires a lot of time and knowledge in assembly).

So, to recap I think the main reason it is not favored is because open source software has the source code available for tweaking and the ability to choose.

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

Indeed windows did its part to make computers so widely accessible. The point and click task is easy for any one. For those who know a thing or two about computers windows just does not cut it. At least not for me. I prefer to use linux.
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Although this topic is pretty old, i do think i should add something now.

Many people here are saying that windows is easy to use and great for the average user, but for the advanced user it's annoying and the system is unstable. First of all, while windows may be more unstable than linux systems, the stability can be increased through proper maintenance, such as running defrag on a regular basis, scanning for spyware and virii, running a firewall, not using internet explorer, etc.

At the same time, windows is far better than linux in some things such as computer games, software compatibility, ease of use, troubleshooting (sometimes), etc.

However, linux has some things on windows as well. For example, it's much more configurable than windows, it's nearly impossible to get a virus, it makes for a very secure server and in some cases, it has a very easy to use GUI. Also, once the system is up and running, it is very low maintenance. You don't even have to defragment the hard drive because fragmentation isn't a problem in the first place.

So overall, the question, "Is Windows evil," is really dependent on each persons perception of both the question and the operating system itself.

I hope that cleared some things up.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...