bad_brain's peperoni thread...^^

...let us know what you think, free speech!
moudy
Technology Enthusiast
Technology Enthusiast

Post by moudy »

are there any updates on the peperoni front ? :D
mahmoud_shihab@hotmail.com

Pong18
Cyber Mushroom
Cyber Mushroom

Post by Pong18 »

yeah aren't there any? ei b-b how's your chili? post some photos of that lovely chili of yer dude...

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

aaaalmost harvest time....should be ready in 1-2 weeks... :D

here are the american "NuMex Twilight" ones, they are really nice....a little different from "regular" peperonis because they are completely filled with seeds, but they are kinda crunchy are have a really nice hotness level. and the plants are very fruitful:

here are the italian "Lingua di Fuoco" ones, they are also very hot (same level as thai chilis), the perspective of the pic is not the best, but there are LOADS of them:

and here are the Jalapenos, harvested a lot already, seems the chance that they become red is pretty low in the german climate...they are not really hot but very tasty, and because of their size they are good to fill:

and last the chinese "Hot Paper Lanterns", I haven't tried them yet, but they are supposed to be VERY hot (almost the same level as the famous "Bhut Jolokia" from India). those ones were the hardest ones to raise, from 10 seeds only 3 made it...but don't they already look dangerous? :lol:

:D

Pong18
Cyber Mushroom
Cyber Mushroom

Post by Pong18 »

impressive mahn!!! nice! i guess you are pretty excited of when harvest time comes huh?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

definitely... :D
still looking for the best recipe to preserve them...I think I will make my own Sambal Oelek, because that way most of the original taste is kept.. :-k

moudy
Technology Enthusiast
Technology Enthusiast

Post by moudy »

bad_brain wrote:definitely... :D
still looking for the best recipe to preserve them...I think I will make my own Sambal Oelek, because that way most of the original taste is kept.. :-k
recipe :roll: ?
well I never heard of a recipe for peperoni... Defnitly there are recipes for them, but I never actually went into food preparation...
Over here in my country people are used to sun bath the peperoni fruits untill dry, and then grind them, in the grind mill... this ways food can be seasoned :wink:

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

did you guys know that peppers where designed by nature to cool us down?

Now now, dont cheat and go search this on wiki, the first to tell me why I am correct will win!

Grand Prize? Knowledge ;)
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Well you can stuff my grand prize into a big envelope and email it to me! :lol:

The answer is in the body's systemic reaction to the effects of the hot pepper (has to be hot!) As you body reacts with a involuntary fight or flight mode - heart rate up, dilated blood vessels endorphins,sweat reaction and puckered up anus - your body is set to cool itself off.

:wink:

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

check this moudy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambal
:)

n3rd, I also think it has to do with the dilation of the blood vessels....that's why the best drink to cool yourself down on a hot summer day is hot tea:
when you drink something cold the body has to produce more heat in order to keep the body core temperature in the normal range, hot tea raises the core temperature so the body can lower the metabolism which cools you down....and because capsaicin stimulates the heat receptors in the nerves too the body also tries to compensate it by cooling the body down... :-k

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

Jup Jup, the body will open its poirs which lets you sweat, which then gets cooled down by breezes of wind which cools you down :)

Captain Awesome shares his knowledge once again!
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

moudy
Technology Enthusiast
Technology Enthusiast

Post by moudy »

bad_brain wrote:check this moudy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambal
:)
Cool recipes bad brain, and really :D
I would extremely like to try one of those dishes soon, maybe I'll search for a local Thai restaurant that prepares some thing like that :wink:

Shimo
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by Shimo »

You will have to let me know what the paper lanterns are like. I've always wanted to try them, but living in Canada not many place's stock them and I might as well kiss good bye to ever growing them outside.. I'd grow them inside but the only window that gets enough sun is the kitchen window and the animals are always in there..... That and the dog has a bad habit of sneaking any produce I pick when I'm not looking. XD
[img]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q49/xblric9000000/ShimoSignature.jpg[/img]

DrVirus

Post by DrVirus »

You guys, if you are looking for food with large amount of chilis then nothing beats the Indian dishes. I can bet my computer than they have skills to make your throat bleed. Try some real Indian food.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

yeah, the hottest peperonis come from india: the Bhut Jolokia ones (they are even listed in the Guiness book)...they are on the list for my next peperoni farm, the seeds were only out of stock when I started this years farm... :)

MUAHAHAHA:
http://www.pepperworldhotshop.de/chili- ... nense.html
:twisted:

btw, I have bought a mortar yesterday and ordered french wine vinegar plus salt from an australian river for my Sambal... :D I would love to provide it to you guys once it's ready, but the problem is that it only stays fresh for 2 weeks they say...:-k
but I will definitely provide seeds and will maybe dry some peperonis too... :)

@Shimo: yep, I will definitely report it, and I can send you seeds (I only demand the money for the postage). when I said they were hard to raise you have to keep in mind that the seeds were stored in the fridge for 9 months...and some seeds are more sensitive than others. from what others wrote on the site where I ordered them the seeds usually grow really good. but if you want to grow the plants inside you will definitely need plant lamps...but as long as the temperature is stable above 10 degrees Celsius it should be no problem to grow them outside (I just recommend to keep them inside until the plants have 2 real leaf pairs.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

harvest #2 today....Jalapenos, lots of Lingua die Fuoco, and some NuMex Twilight:

:D