A community project?

All about creating websites!
Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Basically just help me manage the project. I can't always be around to answer questions, and whatever else. Also, they will help me direct the project in the right direction, and when somebody is done coding the part they were assigned, give them the next thing that needs to be done. This mainly applies to the PHP and Web Developers, however.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Ok, i have a really basic high concept right now, but i want you guys to see a general picture of what i'm thinking of for this game.

Code: Select all

Hacking game - High Concept

Possible gameplay options

-Missions
    Missions will be provided, other users cannot post missions

-Black market
    Users can sell old hardware here. (and programs, exploits, etc?)

-Software
    Software will be obtained either by finding a server/user with the software or can buy (some) of it from the net, though it will be expensive.

-Port scanner - Higher version, higher chance of detecting ports?

-Income
    See: Missions, Black market; Keylogging for bank accounts?

-Logs
    How much affect should logs have on gameplay? In slavehack, they have too much. Downplay the significance of logs...

-Connection bouncing
    Allow a person to bounce their connection through other computers. Will record IP's in logs (helps downlplay significance of logs?)
    As a penalty, user's connection speed will be halved for each computer they bounce through. Max. 5 bounces?

-Hardware market
    This is pretty much a given. Prices?

-Ports
    -Computers have ports. Can port scan computers, or try to guess port numbers...
    -Users can choose Which ports their programs run on?

-Operating systems
    Users can choose operating systems. Different operating systems have different advantages & drawbacks?

-Security systems
    Which security systems should be in place and on what systems? *Think more on this*

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Ok, mabo is the PHP man. I will be sending a PM to everyone on the team with the following details:

The dev site location with the user & pass
FTP Information

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

I am missing; BOT Net, and thats it :P
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Sorry

Post by maboroshi »

Sorry Gogeta I am gonna have to bail I just remembered I am moving and that may take some time

Sorry man

TTYL

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

That's fine mab, i'll either find someone else or code it all myself... O_O

Anyway, you're on the list n3rd, right next to graphics.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Hey everyone. You should have received a PM from me if you're in on this project about the login information for the dev site and the FTP.

I was having some trouble with FTP earlier. I could connect to the server and get a directory listing just fine when connecting via the internal IP (192.168.1.102) but trying to connect to g70net.com via ftp was giving problems. I was connecting and logging in, but it would fail to retrieve a directory listing and then timeout. If you're getting this problem, change the setting in your FTP client to make transfers actively, not in passive mode. That should do the trick ;)

Also, any further discussion about the game should take place here:
http://g70net.com/dev/forum

It keeps the ideas behind closed doors ;)

Lundis
Distorter of Reality
Distorter of Reality

Post by Lundis »

I'm up for testing and playing :lol:

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

Hey guys, sorry I can't be on the project because I won't be available all the time. Although I can help a little bit with the graphics, bug report etc.

I had some ideas regarded to the game that I want to share with you:

How about to make something new in hacking games? (at least I think it's new). How about making a game which primarily focuses on security?
You register, start with a server that's totally unpatched and unsecured, and is hosting... let's say 100 points, just a 100 points figure. Those 100 points on your server need to be secured. Those 100 points need to be secured, the server needs to be secured from other players that hack into it and steel an amount of it that will increase their point number and decrease yours. You can hack into other exploitable servers of other players too.
There is a server points ladder, and the main object is to be first on it.

If you're not familiar with securing a server there will be basic documentation presented to you in a market place. You pay for those documentations with money that you receive on the start and can increase by doing some jobs, like securing a server for the bot that will be in the game for default money jobs,
by securing a server of a player that doesn't know how and has requested on Hire a Programmer option in the game,
by searching for bugs and vulnerabilities on a server that a player requested (mercenary jobs)

Basically a sys admin game where you can't do something by just pressing a button but to do the coding yourself.

I know... it's waaaaaay to complicated and time consuming. You don't need to do all those things, I'm just saying that a game like that ( for white and gray hats, or even black that would need to learn the basics on virus creation and execution ) would be nice for a change, and that it's concentrating on learning the players how a sys.admin job would look like, to learn them self-education, introduce them to computer/server security and coding instead of the other "hacking" games that basically learn players the lifestyle of skiddies ( one-click-for-hacking-pentagon games ).

You said you want a game that would blow other hacking games to oblivion, well I think this kind of a game would. Actually I think this kind of a game would reach world-wide fame because of its style that's primarily educating, and is first of its kind (so I think).
As I said, I know it's much more complicated and time consuming, but "Don't be afraid to give up the good to go for the great. " ( John D. Rockefeller ) or as I would interpret it on this subject: why settle with a so-so good game when you can make a world-class one.

Hope my post didn't disappointed you ;)
Good luck on whatever you guys decide to do!

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

You have some great ideas there ph0byx. I was thinking of a game that is more realistic, so that people could learn a bit of how real hacking is. We're still in the stage of thinking up ideas and figuring out how gameplay is going to work, so i may take a few of those ideas of yours and throw them in there ;)

ebrizzlez
Kage
Kage

Post by ebrizzlez »

Here's a thought, you allow the users to write their own programs, bots, scripts, and exploits.

You can make your own syntax , sorta like a high leveled version of assembly, and then the users can write their own programs and you can use PHP to Interpret their commands and translate it.

For example, user 'a' decides he wants to hack fbi.net thats owned by the user 'b', user 'a' runs an nmap scan and gets an error while scanning, by reading the error, the hacker[user a] realizes that their was a buffer overflow on the amount of packets that can be received, the buffer of the amount of packets can be received on their firewall is seven, the hacker inputted eight.

Example of error:

Error: Packet Initialization, packet number 8 has been dropped due to a overflow
some errors can be obscured.

Error: Packet number 8 has been dropped or blocked by firewall. 
So the hacker writes an exploit:

input ip;
packet send 0 x 8 to ip;
set payload shell;
exploit;
This tosses back a shell to the user and then the user can upload a virus script. Or do as he pleases.

This allows the hackers to write their own exploits for the games software and their own patches as well, then sell their exploits and software on the marketplace. You can also make bot herders, sell or rent out their botnets to other users on the marketplace.
[img]http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j205/ebrizzlez/4lsint1.jpg[/img]

Insection
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by Insection »

^good idea, but there will be hundreds of different ways to structure the coding. So the system might have trouble understanding your codes....

We need someone with a good knowledge of DHTML. Anyone?

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

You've got some good ideas ebrizzlez. I have thought of the idea of an in-game coding language. However, would you like to invent the in game programming languages and exploits? Not code them, just come up with the ideas and one of the php coders will do it.

ebrizzlez
Kage
Kage

Post by ebrizzlez »

Sure thing gogeta. ;] I would set up the entire language during Wednesday cause that's when I start my Easter vacation.

I could code it as well if given time. I just need to work on my PHP. :lol:
[img]http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j205/ebrizzlez/4lsint1.jpg[/img]

Insection

Post by Insection »

gogeta the ftp is really stuffed.

active mode doesnt work for me either