Laptop restarts whenever it's put on standby

Problems? Post here...
JohnB
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Laptop restarts whenever it's put on standby

Post by JohnB »

Hi,

My laptop used to run very slow so I decided switch off some redundant services here:

http://pastebin.ca/649452 (period after url was messing up the url -Gogeta70)

But now, whenever I put my computer on hibernate/stand-by, it restarts instead. I read somewhere else that it's because there's so much RAM free that it's easier for the computer just to restart than hibernate. I tried putting the services to manual but this made no difference.

Computer details

Windows XP Service pack 3
1 GB RAM
1.7GHZ Centrino

So what can I do to get hibernate back?

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

I would try enabling the services one at a time and try doing a standby each time to figure out which service is causing the problem, then when you find it disable the other services except that one. If none of them work, you can probably bet it's not a service that is causing the issue.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

Insection

Post by Insection »

Well if its possible save all your data to a usb and restore your computer to an earlier date when you had no problems

JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Insection wrote:Well if its possible save all your data to a usb and restore your computer to an earlier date when you had no problems
Yes, I thought of that but when I went to system restore there were no restore points at all.

It seems I may have to go manually through all the services.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

I did a google search and come up with something. I read over this topic in another forum:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=47836

To sum it all up, though...

Check your power options. Go to your desktop, right click > properties. Screensaver tab, Power options. Make sure everything is on the right setting. If nothing is wrong there, then...

Restart your computer and go into your bios. Check your power saving options. Make sure S3 is enabled. If that isn't the problem...

Run a scan with adaware and clean up any problems it finds, and restart. Then try going into standby.

Good luck.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

I have also seen this happen with a faulty power connection.

Check as gogeta70 has said and then if all fails get the power supply checked (usually its just the connector) 8)

JohnB

Post by JohnB »

As I couldn't fix I decided format :)