What should i do next?

Questions about programming languages and debugging
ShadowReaper

What should i do next?

Post by ShadowReaper »

I have been learning C and C++ over the last few years...

My problem is i don't know where to go next. I know how to use pointers, classes etc... in C++ but i haven't written an actual program, only assigments from the university(calculating arithmetic means, mean deviation etc)...

I have thought of joining some opensource project but i do not have prior experience...

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Think of some fun project, and learn to use different API's (some GUI, maybe sockets, databases.. etc). And maybe get a book on Data structures in C/C++ and read that.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

Do you have any interest in web programming? What sort of field do you look to go into after college? Do you want to do application programming? Embedded systems programming?

Personally, I believe a well-rounded programmer (one who is modestly adept at application programming and web programming) would be far more maneuverable and flexible than if you stuck strictly to web or applications.

Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect
Location: #db_error in: select usr.location from sucko_member where usr.id=63;

Post by Nerdz »

You can try to code your very own STL and test it against the known one :)
Give a man a fish, you feed him for one day.
Learn a man to fish, you feed him for life.

ShadowReaper

Post by ShadowReaper »

Stavros wrote:Do you have any interest in web programming? What sort of field do you look to go into after college? Do you want to do application programming? Embedded systems programming?

Personally, I believe a well-rounded programmer (one who is modestly adept at application programming and web programming) would be far more maneuverable and flexible than if you stuck strictly to web or applications.
I am interested in application programming for now...