Recommended starter system?

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
stringbean93
forum buddy
forum buddy

Recommended starter system?

Post by stringbean93 »

Hey anybody have any suggestions for a starting computer? portable would be nice, but price is also an issue. I'm thinking under $600 cause I don't want to spend too much money. Let me know please!

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

I got my laptop for $600, I got a mail in rebate for $200 - it was a $800 lappy. So check out rebate offers. I rather deal with a walk-in store that has a good return/exchange policy - if you had any problems, it'll be within the first 14 days..

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

I'm going to go with Gogeta and push you towards building one if it's a desktop. It'll be difficult to buy a decent computer for $600 if you've got to also buy keyboard, mouse, speakers and monitor.

If you're thinking about a laptop buy one, but make sure you buy one from a company that has good customer service. A hotrod laptop is nothing if it takes a month for the company to recieve, fix and return.

What do you plan to do with this computer?

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Netbook

Post by lilrofl »

Although not my first computer, I bought a netbook from Asus to fill a need for ultra-portability and long battery life for school. I find that for web work, and communications it is perfect for a lot of reasons. Long battery life, small, light, stable operating system and very inexpensive. In fact I have only one complaint worth mentioning, the WiFi card does not support monitor mode. I plan on replacing the card when i get some ambition, (fingers crossed that the BIOS doesn't have a white list lol)

All joking aside though, it is great for what it does, but you'll never get Crysis running on it.

SO so so so SOOOOOO, if you are looking for a cheap computer for school work, wifi, communication and maybe to watch a digital format movie or listen to tunes then this computer is great.

ASUS EEEPC 1000

I paid like 350$ for it with shipping to Hawaii. One more thing of note, it needs an external optical drive if you need an optical drive to function.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

yeah, building an own one is always better...in those pre-assembled systems you always have either some parts that really suck (bad quality) or you have some features you don't need (but you still pay for them).

I recommend to build a system on a AMD X2 CPU, best price/performance relation, a cheap AsRock mainboard maybe (older MSI ones are sold pretty cheap too)...OR you buy a high performance mainboard like the Gigabyte MA790GP-DS4H, it has onboard graphics so you can wait until you have money left for a good discrete card. this way you would have more money left for the other parts, makes more sense that to buy a cheap mainboard and a cheap g-card with less perfomance that most likely even cost more.

stringbean93
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by stringbean93 »

okay as far as processor and motherboard I'm thinking something along the lines of:
Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 6000+ 3.0GHz Processor-$86.99
&
GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard-$109.99

They both have good reviews and are within my price range. What's my next step?

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

I would go with an AMD Phenom - check this out

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819103244

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

I build a computer about two years ago. It is great and I love it. I am now thinking of building my self a new one. A real monster for 1000 euros.
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, next part would be the g-card, you have 2 options:

- getting a good one like the MSI HD 4850, of course it's not really cheap
- getting a cheap one makes no sense imo, if you can't afford a good one I recommend to get a better mainboard with on-board graphics like the Gigabyte MA790GP-DS4H, it's not much more expensive than the mainboard you want to get. you will have the same performance as with a cheap g-card but getting a better mainboard at the same time. you might wonder why I am promoting this mainboard that much, I have built myself a new system too a little ago after reading reviews, tests and benchmarks for weeks...and this mainboard is simply the best buy... :wink:

P.S. I am also using a AMD X2 6000+ CPU

stringbean93
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by stringbean93 »

okay how about this....
Gigabyte MA790GP-DS4H Motherboard - $149.99

AMD Phenom 9600 Agena 2.3GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W Quad-Core Processor - $89.99