Lan or High-Speed internet not showing.

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
Losing_grip
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Lan or High-Speed internet not showing.

Post by Losing_grip »

Hi guys! i reformatted my friend computer yesterday, he's using windows vista before, and i reformat it to windows xp, but after that. He can't connect to internet anymore, Lan or High-Speed internet is not showing. His internet is anthena , we tried calling their ISP, but the ISP said that we should try to reinstall the lan card if its not detecting, the proglem is , i dont know what model it is, and he doesnt have cd for it, his isp didnt give cp to him too.

Im kinda confused, so im thinking to reformat his computer back to vista

help guys! :( any help would greatly appreciated. ty !

Lundis
Distorter of Reality
Distorter of Reality

Post by Lundis »

run "devmgmt.msc"
It'll show all your devices. Click on network adapters and hopefully you'll have a device there, rightclick it and check the tabs and you might get some clue as to what card it is, then download it from the manufacturers website :D

If that doesn't work, or if it doesn't even show up, I don't know what to do... Is he connected to a router or adsl modem or what?

Losing_grip

Post by Losing_grip »

His using direct connection from anthena, i dont know what it is. =[ Ok ill try it tomorrow to his computer.

Losing_grip

Post by Losing_grip »

Comment/Suggestion anyone? =[

hiper
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by hiper »

u can take out the network card from his comp, in most cases u will se model and id and stuff like that on it.... GL HF =)

moudy
Technology Enthusiast
Technology Enthusiast

Re: Lan or High-Speed internet not showing.

Post by moudy »

Losing_grip wrote:the proglem is , i dont know what model it is
you can go to command prompt and write systeminfo

this might help you if I'm not mistaken, or maybe the card should be installed to be identified, this is only a thought, so give it a try.
mahmoud_shihab@hotmail.com

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Ok, first - just Relax.... go get a beer, green tea, maybe have a smoke of some sort. 8)

Reformating is not going to do you any good. You can stay with the XP install as long as its not a bootleg, no-license peice of crap download. Use a geniune M$ disk, and this will not be another issue for me or anyone else trying to help you.

Next, go get Lavalys Everest Home Edition - its a diagnosis tool. You can carry this on a disk and install it on the injured computer. This program will not only list everything you have, and let you know whats not working - but it will link you right to a download (the manufactor's sites) for DRIVERS.

Field Value
Network Adapter Properties
Network Adapter Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
Interface Type Ethernet
Hardware Address 46-48-94-EE-4D-E9 (user-defined)
Connection Name Local Area Connection
Connection Speed 10 Mbps
MTU 1500 bytes
DHCP Lease Obtained 6/1/2006 10:22:37 AM
DHCP Lease Expires 1/18/2038 11:14:07 PM
Bytes Received 0
Bytes Sent 0

Network Adapter Addresses
DHCP 255.255.255.255

Network Adapter Manufacturer
Company Name Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Product Information http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/prod ... x?lineid=1
Driver Download http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow ... x?lineid=1
Once you get your drivers, it will get your devices up and running. Next you'll need nfo from your ISP, like IP of the DNS, DHCP router or even downloading propriety software to login to their network.

Do the Lavalys Everest diagnosis first - no need to open your box.
thats www.lavalys.com. I am using version2.4- everesthome220.exe a 4.1mb file and version 5 is the latest - if the newer version is a limited trial, you might search for the older version of the program..

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

If it is a 'free' version Check the pc and see is it a built in NIC or is it via added card? If its built in check the mobo for a model number and go to the manufacturers site for the driver. If its an added NICcheck the front or check the card for the id tag. Do the same and use google to find the card and driver.

Hope this helps :wink:
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"
https://tshirt-memes.com

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

well, I prefer a tool to interrogate from within.
:-k
I was looking, here is another program, works with Vista if you want to return to Vista.
http://www.drivershq.com/
or
try
http://downloads.drivershq.com/DD/drive ... ective.exe

These programs will help you identify the device AND locate the current driver for the device.

The other option is the manual search, without the neat tools..
Sometimes looking at numbers on the outside can be frustrating - the internet search engines don't like number strings, and you still have to look for the link for downloading the driver you need..

The driver will either be on the manufactor's site or on a host like
http://www.driverfiles.net/

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.