Firing Range - Gun Topics

...let us know what you think, free speech!
lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

Post by lilrofl »

We used a M107 as an anti-material rifle, not as fun to shoot as the M24 and I never used one in Iraq or Afghanistan. I was part of a study group for the M110 also... it is an amazing rifle IMO, but I can't say that I prefer it to the Remington 700 action which is just "all day reliable" and that feeling is priceless.

Again just my .02

Pong18
Cyber Mushroom
Cyber Mushroom

Post by Pong18 »

well as for me i love close range combat as i always get into street fights, but i have to admit that i am not that good in close quarter combat, i am a better marksman, once in a firing range my uncle lend his steyr-scout to me, at first recoil was eating me alive, but when i got the hang of it i always hit the bull's eye. that's why i want to try the m107 to experience the power of .50 caliber in a sniper rifle.

i want to see 1 of this in real life:
its a GAU-8 Avenger

*I re-uploaded this image to our imagehost to get a thumbnail of it, it was stretching out the forum table -Gogeta70

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Re: Firing Range - Gun Topics

Post by DNR »

ha! maybe resurrect this thread - I got a DMPS Panther 5.56mm and it is already halfway setup the way I want. Pics to follow. I just got home from a sweet time shooting today. Later this spring - we use the 200 yd range...

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Well, i just picked up a DPMS Panther, 5.56mm. Already I have started its tactical build. I am very happy with this rifle, as I have been able to make several 'one hole' groups with it - with just a red dot optic.
Right now it has the tactical forearm with rails, vertical grip on front, Sightmark red dot optic. Rails protected with covers. add-on front iron sights. Checking out the Lancer clear mags. Lancer-Systems.com

I have on order:
flip-up rear iron sights
a scope (3-9x40 rangefinder) with medium rise mount.
Bipod,
single point sling
2- 45 degree offset rail mounts (for iron sights).
CombatOptical.com

I found a company to buy 5.56mm in lots - 420rnds for $145 (m855 Green tips, 2008/10 manufacture,Federal, strippers). SGAmmo.com
The rifle has a 1:9 twist so its balanced between 55gr to 62gr. I avoid Wolf/Pravi/reloads ammo.

The Iron sights will be mounted on the top rails at a 45 degree angle - those are used for close up. The Red dot sight could be used instead, on the 45 degree rail, while the scope is on the top rail. You cant the rifle 45 degrees to use one sight for close in, then adjust the rifle to the proper position for using long range optics. You do not want to cant the rifle for long range as it does effect how the bullet will impact at 200+ meters.

I will add on a flashlight/strobe on the rightside of the forearm rail, and a laser on the leftside of the forearm rail.

I use a drop-leg carrier for the magazines, it also has a pouch for dumping used mags. The Drop-leg carrier is just easier to put in a bug-out bag. I will build a Molle' vest, I am eyeing one for $750,a used Molle' with level IIIa and front and back plates.

I found two local gun clubs with 200 yard ranges, and one with a 600 yd range. They also have combat/tactical classes/shoots. When I become a member I could come during a quiet day and set up my own shooting drills. I plan to keep up both CQB and long range skills. I still have the Tactical shotgun in 12 gauge. I sold the 1911 .45, and might consider the S&W M&P .40 as I have been checking a loaner pistol for a while.

The one trick with the AR15/M4 is the ability to 'bump' the trigger for three round burst or even full auto. It is possible to do this accurately - not from the hip as some videos show. This rifle is so fun to shoot, it is too easy to blow off 400 rounds in an hour.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Pretty sweet stuff, DNR 8)

I went got a few things for my AR15 about a week or so ago. I got a quad rail and a vertical grip, i also picked up 2 more 30 round magazines for it. I wanted to get a 3 point sling, but couldn't find any at that particular store. Guess i'll just buy one online, it'll probably be cheaper that way anyway.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

I saw a simple sling setup on a 9mm AR the other night.

The collapsible stock had the sling end, and then the forearm had a velcro wrap to secure the front end of the 2 point sling.

I am currently trying out a single point attached to the magpul quick detach on the FAB collapsible stock.

Try the Mag Well Grip from FAB (israeli)($20) I find the center of balance is right in front of the magazine well - the vertical grip I kept moving closer in - but then it became a mag change issue, getting in the way.

I hope today to get some outdoor photos (its 8 degrees outside right now!) I have setup a red dot optic on 45 degree angle on the right side and I have a 3-9x scope on the top rail. I will use the red dot for CQB shoots close range, tilt the rifle. For long range I have the scope. I will test out extreme cold weather on the rifle (little or no lube) and some M855 green tips (62gr) and some PRVI ball (55gr) for accuracy.

So far I have put 400+ rounds through the DPMS Panther with no problems - you do want to Lock-tite your gear on the tactical rail - the recoil of the 5.56mm is enough to loosen many nuts and bolts.
SGAmmo.com has been fast and cheap, in stock. Federal M855 (steel core 62 gr) and PRVI both 500 rd packages for $145 each. I had several deliveries. They come in brown box with no indications its ammo. The federals looked like reloads with some damaged cases, the PRVI looks brand new, clean, and sharp looking - so check it out - its like $99 for 200 rds for the M193 (55gr)
I still stay away from wolf due to its bullet composite material, and some old stuff has lacquer on it - which is hard to clean when it hardens in the breech. All other store brought ammo at $8 for 20 rounds is just dump (some as high as $14 to $24 per 20) is dumb for tactical/practical shooting at pointblank to 50 yds. Later this summer, when I do some 600 yard shoots, I will test the expensive stuff like VMAX, OTM, etc.

The PMAGs and L5 so far are the best deals for magazines. They are either clear plastic or black plastic with windows to check ammo count. I keep a stripper clip attachment on my dropleg holster so I can use strippers on the range for fast reloads. (always have your mags loaded when you show up anyways). These plastic mags have metal where it counts, rubber bottoms - so you can drop 'em.

So lets see if my camera and rifle work today for some photos!

DNR
-

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Note: 3x to 9x scope on top rail, Red Dot optic on 45 degree mount, rightside.

Today was not too bad despite the 8 degree weather. it was cloudy, with little or no wind.

I shot at 35, 75 and 100 yards. I am so frickin happy because I was doing 1" groups at 35 and 75, at 100 I averaged 2" to 2.5" groups - and thats with cheap military ammo.

I used a bipod and the scope for the 75 and 100 yds, at 35 I used the red dot on a 45 degree mount - that did 4 - 5" groups off hand.

Both PRVI M193 and the Federal M855 grouped well. Maybe it is because I am cleaning the rifle after a day of shooting, maybe its because I am pretty good at fixing the rifle in place by the fist under the front grip, firm stock into the shoulder.

I would have took more pictures but the range prohibits photographs, so I will have to do more in-depth range photos on the weekdays when no one is there. When no one is there I can also shoot tracer ammo for kicks too!

The best thing I like about the AR15/M4 is it is easy to strip and clean.
My packout - Note Mag Well Grip, vertical grip no longer used.

DNR
-

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

gog - that looks like an ACOG scope you got? Price?

DNR
-

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Ah shit, i totally forgot i had posted in this thread, lol.

That scope is a sharpeye red dot scope. When i bought my AR (my friend was with me when i bought it), my friend lent me that scope since he doesn't own a rifle and since i bought a rifle that was optics ready (no iron sights).

By the way, i've seen those magpul magazines with the windows on them. I want those so bad XD. Right now, i've got 3 tapco magazines and one standard military magazine. Those tapco magazines are pretty nice, even though they're completely plastic, they're pretty solid.

You know, i've seen a few people shoot while holding onto the magazine or the magazine well, but that's just too akward for me. It makes sense to have your grip more toward the muzzle of the gun as it gives you more precise control over your aim. Though maybe i say that because i have pretty long arms, notice the vertical grip is all the way forward on the rail.

Also, if you're looking for cheap ammo, go to your local wal-mart and get a few boxes of Tulammo. It's about $5.00 for a box of 20. The only downside is that it's russian military ammo - the shell casings are made of steel, which is rough on the chamber of your gun. :(
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

the problem with steel case ammo - it can be coated with a lacquer that melts in your breech, then it cools to make a difficult clean up.
Then, those companies go even cheaper - they use a copper plated steel jacket on the bullets themselves, thats hard on the barrels. I just ordered some more ammo from SGAmmo.com PRVI M193 55gr ball. This and the Federal M855 steel core (looks like factory seconds) were printing three shot groups you could cover with a quarter. For long range shooting I have to try out heavier bullets - up to 77 gr.

As far as the forearm grip, I have seen people holding it topside as well. I use the fore grip for the medium to long range aiming, the mag well grip or vertical grip seems to be best for close up stuff.

The recoil of the 5.56mm is so light that I can shoot without the stock extended, I can just raise the rifle up and sight through the scope or red dot and shoot. The FAB stock can interfere with the charging handle use, either the cheek weld has to be raised a bit or the stock has to be slightly extended.

Check out L5 mags by Lancer Systems, I like these over PMags because L5s have metal molded in the plastic for the feed lips - same price as PMags

DNR
-