What's up with the nmap download ??

...let us know what you think, free speech!
DrVirus
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

What's up with the nmap download ??

Post by DrVirus »

B_B or DNR guys check this out. The nmap port scanner you got on the d/l section ?? I just downloaded it. It's in a zip format so I extracted it. And the funny thing is the file that's being extracted just disappears in a sec once the extraction is complete !! And then I tried not to extract it and just run it.Guess what ?? Nothing happens. Nothing at all.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

You have Anti Virus active? ^^

Might be that it removes nmap
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

DrV, I checked the file its there. Since you say you see it, then it disappears, I am assuming something on your desktop is removing it.
Cats is right - and this is a good example of what I mean when I say the ISP/government is filtering out hacking content and tools.
Your AV/firewall is protecting you by preventing 'someone' from downloading 'malware' or 'harmful' software to your computer. Many tools, even simple network tools used by sysadmins are being blacklisted by AVPs. Soon, we will have a generation of newbies that will never see a tool like angry IP scanner, nmap, samspade, aircrack-ng - because its been filtered by your ISP/government policies. I call it dumbing down the netcitizens.

What next? How about filtering keywords so people can't read tuts? Maybe it will start with "meth' or "how to make drugs", then they will sneak in keywords like "RFC 2617", "packetsniffing", "How to crack time trial", "Vuln IIS 6.0 WebDAV", "wep cracking" - you'll type those in - and the browser will return a 403 or even a baldfaced lie - 410 code.

Never trust an application to protect you, you never know what they don't want you to know cuz they are 'protecting' you!

Shut that shit off and try the dl again.

DNR
Last edited by DNR on 30 May 2009, 12:25, edited 2 times in total.
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

moudy
Technology Enthusiast
Technology Enthusiast

Post by moudy »

true, some AV's consider such app.s as malicious and delete them right away :?
mahmoud_shihab@hotmail.com

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, yeah, I also think your AV picks it up as "hacking tool" and deletes it, because for me it worked...so the file isn't damaged.
but I have uploaded the latest version (4.86beta9) now, the one we had was pretty outdated anyway... :wink:

DrVirus

Post by DrVirus »

Thanks for the concern guys. I did a download form the NMAP website and it worked. ANd no it's not the AV I'm super paranoid so when I run stuff like these I shut my AV off.

Now I'm trying to figure out the Nmap. something isn't working. Let's see what I can dig.

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

On that note

Post by maboroshi »

On that note how do I remove windows defender from my sys on Vista :-P

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/02/2 ... -in-vista/

Good idea mabs
Windows Defender which was previously known as Microsoft AntiSpyware is an anti-spyware utility that built-in in Windwso Vista to detect, prevent, remove and quarantine spywares. Although it’s packaged with the operating system, and thus free of charge (or already been added into cost), not all users will need Windows Defender. Unfortunately there is no clear-cut way to remove or uninstall Windows Defender in Vista. Use the trick and hack below to disable Windows Defender in a way that as is Windows Defender is been uninstalled or removed.
Its a microsoft antispyware spyware!
The most easy way to to uninstall or remove Windows Defender in Vista (since you can’t actually uninstall it) is by disabling and turning off Windows Vista’s Windows Defender. Windows Defender provides an graphical user interface (GUI) to easily stop using Windows Defender in real-time protection checking, and disable and turn off Windows Defender service.

Note that a lot of guides have asked to disable Windows Defender service via Services in Control Panel and uncheck the startup item in System Configuration (MSConfig) in order to turn off Windows Defender and prevent it from starting up. This is uncessary, and it’s not a recommended way as any misstep will cause error message (explained below).

Run Windows Defender from Start Menu.
Click on Tools button.
Then click on Options link under “Tools and Settings” section.
Scroll down the “Options” page, and uncheck the check boxes of the following two settings:
Use real-time protection (recommended) under “Real-time protection options”
Use Windows Defender under “Administrator options”Note that both options MUST be unchecked for the Windows Defender service in Windows Vista to be completely stopped. Else, only real-time protection is disabled.

Click on Save button.
A “Windows Defender is turned off” dialog message will appear, confirming that Windows Defender no longer runs. Once the Windows Defender is disabled, it’s sort of been uninstalled too, as any attempt to run the program will bring up “Windows Defender is turned off dialog window and unable to proceed to Windows Defender main window anymore.
DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

DrVirus

Post by DrVirus »

May be this is a bit off topic and then again this is not. See I successfully installed NMAP but the problem is I can't scan anything. Cause I am using XP and XP has raw sockets blocked. I am thinking about downloading WinSock u guys have any idea whether that will help ??

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

XP should already have winsock on it, you can dl winsock 2.0, it is backwards compatible.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms740673.aspx

I think the application is blocked from accessing the dll/api

DNR
-

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

um, do you have winpcap installed? without it nmap will not work.
http://www.winpcap.org/

DrVirus

Post by DrVirus »

winpcap comes with nmap remember ??

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

oh...right....just been a while since I have installed nmap on XP, because for me it never really worked, that's why I am using it on Linux only.... :wink:

have you tried a simple "regular" connect scan already?

Code: Select all

nmap -sT -P0 ip.here.xxx.xxx
as far as I remember that was the only one that really worked for me on XP, the rest (SYN, X-MAS, etc.) never did.

DrVirus

Post by DrVirus »

Yeah I did. It didn't work. Guess I have to install and learn Linux. Well it's a good excuse to do so. :D

moudy
Technology Enthusiast
Technology Enthusiast

Post by moudy »

DrVirus wrote:Yeah I did. It didn't work. Guess I have to install and learn Linux. Well it's a good excuse to do so. :D
well i got linux, and burned the image... still i want to install the distro on my HD. To tell you the truth linux is amazing, much more stable than windows.
So yes go for it, linux is really good.
Plus some linux distros come with all the security tools that might be used, including nmap
mahmoud_shihab@hotmail.com