Decompilers

Questions about programming languages and debugging
moudy
Technology Enthusiast
Technology Enthusiast

Decompilers

Post by moudy »

Hello every-one
I was wondering, what is the best "free" decompiling app. found out there?
I searched on google, but almost non are good.
Plus, does a decompiler works for apps wriitten in any language ? or there are specific decompilers for specific languages?
Plus I remember reading some where that there is an application in linux that lets you view how an application is functioning (if im not mistaken)... what is the name of this application?
Thanks for any reply
mahmoud_shihab@hotmail.com

Pong18
Cyber Mushroom
Cyber Mushroom

Post by Pong18 »

well, i haven't tried to decompile apps, i mean, not being boastful or anything, but i do it old school, making flow charts and data flow diagrams. but as far as i know decompilers are language specific, there is a decompiler for C, a decompiler for C++, for Java, for Delphi, for Basic, etc, etc. that's all i know.

moudy
Technology Enthusiast
Technology Enthusiast

Post by moudy »

thanks for the info pong :D

ebrizzlez
Kage
Kage

Post by ebrizzlez »

There are various types of decompilers available out there, and all for a different application programming interface. You must remember, a decompiler is never 100% guarantee to convert an executable's machine code back to the original source code, this task is impossible, but some decompiler come really close to it.

Basically a decompiler searches for CALL routines to then map out all functions used, than they'll look for the main function, main() in C, and try to get all the code that belongs to this process where it belongs. When referencing calls to other function, it focuses on the arguments passed to the function, sometimes it has a cryptic name representing a hex value, other times it can preserve the variables actual name.

My personal favorite is IDA Pro's Hex Ray plugin. It converts any executable given, to a high level programming source code, in this case, the language C. And I found that it can come really close to the actual underlying source code, just with a bit more obscurity.

Surely they're decompilers for VB that help you get the format of the forms, and out there are java decompilers which decompile the java bytecode, and of course delphi. The point is, various decompilers target various compilers, but not one decompiler can really decompile any application, but IDA Pro's Hex Rays plugin comes pretty close to this functionality.
[img]http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j205/ebrizzlez/4lsint1.jpg[/img]

moudy
Technology Enthusiast
Technology Enthusiast

Post by moudy »

some nice info over there...
thanks pal