Computer with no Anti-Virus

No explicit questions like "how do I hack xxx.com" please!

Would you have your personal computer with no Anti-Virus?

Yes
63%
No
38%

Total votes: 24

moudy
Technology Enthusiast
Technology Enthusiast

Post by moudy »

I was convinced with what floody said, but yeah mystik u have a point...
I have stopped using anti virus since 2 month and I'm actually doing fine without it.
mahmoud_shihab@hotmail.com

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

There is a right time and place for an AVP.

For the average user, a host-based firewall (which is NOT a AVP), a working browser (has its own security), they also get their email from a 'reliable' email service like Gmail or even Yahoo. Gmail and Yahoo scans emails for malware. You can even thank your ISP for monitoring your internet - they help block some attacks at their firewall before it could effect you.

The AVP is used when I have to get a unknown file from a 'non-trusted' host - like some obscure webhost. You would use it when evidence or logic has you assume you have a malicious file. People make the mistake of assuming the AVP takes the place of common sense and some intelligence. Never rely on a software or machine to think for you.

You can beat even the smart virus/trojan coders - you can know your computer better than he does.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Lundis
Distorter of Reality
Distorter of Reality

Post by Lundis »

A hundred strong men defending tens of thousands of computers is less defenders per computer than one man defending his own computer well. Even my sister survives without AV, and she knows nothing about comps...

I don't know what it's like elsewhere, but where I live the standard adsl-modem/router blocks all incoming data by default, so the only way for something to get in is because of user stupidity or security holes in firefox :P

Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

Post by Kirk »

Most viruses I've seen don't really do anything anyways. Granted there is the occasional virus that spreads like wildfire and does damage; one every year or so. The Love virus, the Melissa virus, and others. They don't come around often and when they do you AV isn't ready for them anyways and you still get infected. Eventually a way is found to neutralize the virus and it usually doesn't even involve an AV.
I remember long ago there was a virus/worm that was infecting computers and emailing itself to the persons contacts. You would get an email from someone you know, you'd open it and, crap, now you have it. As a solution you would go to your contacts and create a fake email address with a number starting it. It would go to the first contact, not be able to email itself out and stop running.
anyone else remember this?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

right Kirk, and that's maybe the only danger of not having an AV: malware that comes from a trusted source....but with a little config and logic even this risk can be minimized, enabling the display of file extensions is the key (no idea what MS thought when they disabled it per default).
the malware sent as email attachment is usually an .exe camouflaged as .zip, .pdf, etc. by using a fake icon...but when you see a "pdf" with an .exe extension it would be VERY suspicious.

generally I would say AV yes or no depends on the user, for a beginner an AV is a must, for an advanced user that is getting his software only from trusted sources it is mostly useless. when using a Linux system an AV is not needed in general, not even for beginners.

I voted "no" btw, but only because I often download files from untrusted sources and Kaspersky saved me repeatedly from trojan droppers already.... :lol: on my Linux system I have no AV installed.

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

I am surprised at how many people have AVP but dont use a firewall. For any new user i would definately reccomend them using one but for paople who can monitor there own usage, files and downloads i really dont see the point. I have a AVP at my disposal but tend to only use it when i am using unreliable sources although we all know that this can be a waste of time too as most have been hexed etc anyway so the AV companies dont pick them up, or at least they dont at first.

This is one of the main reasons i like to use linux.....No AVP needed :wink:
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"
https://tshirt-memes.com

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

also consider this, Lundis makes good point -
100 men trying to protect not just a million computers, but those computers will have their own OS, version, and applications setup. Now the genius of corporate AVP looks pretty dumb - how can they protect YOUR computer, with YOUR setup, for YOUR needs? The reason viruses still spread - AVP companies have to pick the most popular threat - and not tell you about this little 0day 'rumored' about - just your luck, the 0day will work on your system..

The only person that can protect a computer is one that knows his own system(s). I keep talking about baseline and no one gets a clue on why baseline is so important. :roll: This is why the staff will keep telling you to learn the basics of your system - what ever you chose Windows or linux - you are responsible for YOUR system.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.