[SOLVED] 2 Distro 1 HDD

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
einax17
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

[SOLVED] 2 Distro 1 HDD

Post by einax17 »

I just wanted to ask if its possible to install two Distro, Ubuntu and Mandriva, on the same HDD, without splitting it into halves.
Last edited by einax17 on 09 Jul 2009, 00:27, edited 2 times in total.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

umm...I hope you don't mean to install them both in the same partitions.... :?
ok, it's possible, but it would need a lot of manual config, just imagine 2 different distros (which means many program- and library-versions are different too) share the same directories...would end up with lots of incompatibilities, the only way to avoid this would be to set all important paths manually for the 2nd distro.

so the best is to use extra partitions for each distro (except the swap partition, both distros can use the same). if you already have a distro installed but it occupies the whole HDD space simply resize a partition to free up some space and install the 2nd one there.

a good tool for doing this is parted, it's either on board or available in the package repositories for many Linux distros already, but you can also use the LiveCD: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

:wink:

einax17
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by einax17 »

It looks difficult, but thanks.

And.. I do know how to resize partitions but if i did that, all the data on the partition that has ubuntu installed, will be removed.

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

I have a question, is it possible to partition a external HDD to.. let's say 5 parts. In the first 4 you install different Linux distros, and the 5th you use for storing data. Is that possible?

moudy
Technology Enthusiast
Technology Enthusiast

Post by moudy »

Isn't a system already installed a requirment for partitioning a hard disk ??
I really dunno the answer to ph0bYx's question :roll: but Im really eager to know some thing about these stuff, coz I already asked some thing similair to this which is: 2 OS's on 2 hardisks (each on a hard disk), on the same computer.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

@hawttdawgg
nah, using gparted is really easy....and when done you can install the 2nd distro on "the biggest free space" (at least Ubuntu should offer this automatic install setting)... :wink:

@ph0bYx
yep, that's no problem as long as your system supports booting from USB, and to use one storage partition for all distros is also no problem...you simply have to add it to fstab of each distro to mount in automatically (of course you can also mount it manually each time you need it).

@moudy
nope, you can partition a HDD with tools like gparted even if there is no OS installed...and 2 OSs on 2 HDDs is as easy as to install them on 2 partitions, it's technically the same... :wink:

einax17
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by einax17 »

sorry, i meant setting all the important paths manually looks difficult :p

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

ah, ok...yep, it definitely is....not worth the time imo... :wink: